OT Will Durant Leave OKC in free agency?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Wizard Mentor, Mar 31, 2016.

?

Will Durant Leave OKC in free agency?

1. Yes

22 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    37.1%
  1. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Yep, OKC has lost 10 games this season when entering the 4th quarter with the lead. That's an alarming number for the team with the 3rd best record in the league and Westbrick is the major reason. When the guy with the ball in his hands is a poor outside shooter (30% career 3FG%) who is highly turnover prone and freezes out his much better shooting teammates, it's not going to end well. The stats, both this year, and in years past back up the fact that Russell Westbrook resorts to hero ball way, way too often - to the detriment of his team. This goes all the way back to when he had both Durant AND Harden as teammates. They were both far more efficient scorers and far better clutch time performers than Westbrook, yet he would freeze them both out in the 4th quarter of playoff games. He'd be jacking up contested 3-pointers and committing unforced turnovers while both Durant and Harden looked at him dumbfounded. If Durant wants to win a championship, his best bet is to get as far from Russell Westbrook as possible. Durant creates a huge mismatch problem and is a great clutch time performer. OKC is unable to exploit that due to Westbrook's hero ball mentality.

BNM

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  2. Strenuus

Strenuus Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

Perfect example: When we were down 10 with 1:30 left in OKC, and all the dumbass things he did to lose them the game.

I loved every single millisecond of that meltdown. And it's funny cause that's not an outlier.

3. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Theres's a lot more (like his team's W/L record when Westbrook has a triple double, scores more than 35 points and attempts more than 30FGA). I posted about it last year when he was in the midst of his "historic" triple double run. Most of the media was piling on the praise, in spite of the fact that OKC was losing most of those games. The only one with enough balls to call out Westbrook was Charles Barkley. Im sure the numbers are different this
    Yep, unforced TOVs, bad shot selection and a stupid, pointless technical. That's clutcth time Westbrook.

BNM

4. Strenuus

Weren't they like 3-2 or 2-3 during that stretch? I remember laughing and going "Who cares about a triple double if you lose?"

When Dame got 50 in Toronto it was like "Who cares? We lost." Though, it did make it a close game (Down 1 or 2 with 3 min left).

Orion Bailey and BlazerCaravan like this.
  5. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Thats good in theory; but what team does he go to? Washington has all sorts of problems. The Rockets have a cancer locker room and zero defense Harden. The Lakers or Knicks arn't close to contending.

Westbrook got that team to the finals which is more than any PG's can say I see out there. The year Westbrook was injured and they had a competent PG in Reggie Jackson start the Thunder lost in the first round.

I expect Durant to sign a 1+1 deal and re-evaluate free agency next summer with his fellow Thunder teammates.

6. Strenuus

I just had a vision....

Durant signs with Portland.

FACT.

Or something.

BonesJones likes this.
  7. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

If he's so bad and selfish; why were the Thunder easily beat in the first round when Westbrook was injured?

8. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

BNM somehow turns me into a Westbrook supporter.

I rate the guy as around the 15th best player in the NBA so far below the national consensus. I agree with most the criticisms BNM has; just think he overstates their impact and understates Westbrooks positives. Yeah the Thunder lost a lot of his triple double games last year, but they still won more than we're winning this season. The games Westbrook sat out the Thunder were horrific last year.

9. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Because they're also not good without him. Imagine being the 2000 Blazers, except if Damon goes down, there's no Greg Anthony to pick up the slack. Westbrook is propping up a dry-rotted lineup, but he's also not going to make his team better, the team is only as good as he can be; no intangibles.

10. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

PORTLAND!!! DUH!!!!!!!..
    You just lost a nocth bro. You should know better. ;)

BlazerCaravan likes this.
  11. Strenuus

They need him for the lead in the first 3 quarters... but 10 losses in the 4th, and his atrocious 4th quarter shot %...

He is definitely one of the most gifted athletes physically, but mentally he's one of the weakest. I'm honestly surprised he hasn't learned to defer in crunchtime.

12. Dom McBlazer

Dom McBlazer Well-Known Member

I'M ALL FOR THIS! Make it happen Neil!

Orion Bailey and TBpup like this.
  13. Nate

Nate #itsokaytobewhite #wakandaforever BANNED

I don't think Durant will leave.

I think ibaka will in 2017 though. And I hope he comes here.

SlyPokerDog likes this.
  14. KingSpeed

KingSpeed Veteran

actor
    Holds ball til last minute to assure the assist?

15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

For the longest time I thought he'd leave but something tells me Durant cashes in in OKC and stays.

16. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

If he wants to cash in he'll sign a one year deal and then long term next summer. Its something like $80 million more he'll make that way.

17. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Again, my guess is that he cares more about legacy than $$$.

18. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

him on this celtics team with two future lottery picks would be sick.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  19. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Plus being in the easy East and they have cap room for two max free agent so he could pair with Al Horford. If KD only cares about winning yeah Boston may be the best situation.

They don't need the offense of Thomas with that starting group though. I'd look to trade for a 3 + D PG such as Pat Beverly. I bet they could flip a few picks from the boatload they have for him.

Horford - Sullinger
    Crowder - Olynyk
    Durant - Turner - lotto pick(Ingram)
    Bradley - Smart
    Beverly - Thomas

Great starting 5. Probably would be the best defensive team in the league and elite offense as well. Great depth off the bench. Plus Brad Stevens coaching this group? Thats really scary.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  20. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

Personally my feeling is this thread is way off base. It's not if Durant leaves because he can or can't get a ring. It's if Westbrook leaves. Without Westbrook on that team they are way worse off. Just my opinion but Durant just does not seem to be the threat he used to be. A great shooter yes, but by no means is he a MVP candidate any longer. Westbrook is a candidate no matter how much many of you seem to not want to see it. Russell Westbrook is quite possibly the single most dominant player in the game today. Triple Double Machine!
    This Year he is averaging 23.8/10.4/7.7
    Last Year 28.1/8.6/7.3

Like i said this is always up for debate but in the end this is simply my opinion. The Thunder should be much more worried about losing Westbrook.

PHXBlazer1 likes this.