OT Will Portland Become A War Zone This Weekend?

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by ABM, Aug 15, 2019.

1. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy

Im not excusing, what he’s done or said. I understand his history. I just think he really isn't worse than many other politicians. There are so many of these people in washington who have ties with the KKK, who if you dig it up have said just as vile things as Trump has, some worse. As culture has shifted a lot of them have thrown up their hands and said, “Ive changed!”, but they still dont really do things to enact change. They don’t mind the support of racists.

The difference is, Trump just never shuts up and gives us new fodder every day.

Edit: I shouldnt say he isnt worse than other politicians, obviously in many ways he is. I guess my point is that a lot of them enable racism, by enabling racists.

2. barfo

barfo triggered obsessive commie pinko Staff Member Global Moderator

That's not really much of a troll, I'm disappointed. Need to add something to spice it up.

barfo

3. barfo

That definitely sounds like you are excusing him.

Examples please! And dead people don't count.

barfo

4. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

Uhhh, you don't think the he's worse than many other politicians? Didn't you read that stuff? I'd love to see examples of Obama or the Bushes or Clinton or any of these guys saying anything close the things Trump has said. Look and you won't find. This is unprecedented in my lifetime.

5. Propagandist

Propagandist Well-Known Member

6. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    No its not saying a ton of people are bad is in now way saying its ok to be bad. When I have two kids behaving incorrectly, I dont say well its ok you were acting inappropriately so was your sister. I punish them both, its not excusing anything.
    Hillary and Bill had numerous ties with David Duke and Byrd. Many of these guys who have been in washington for years have ties to the KKK, you can google it. I honestly could too but Im not going to until I have better internet service at my home.

7. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    Read my edit.

8. barfo

I think what you are doing is more like saying a murderer is the same as a litterbug, they are both criminals.

I'm going to need to see some documentation on that, it sounds kind of unlikely.

I did google it and found where Duke said that Hillary should get the electric chair... I guess that means they were friends?

Yes, Byrd was KKK. In the 1940s. Hillary and Bill were born around that time. I doubt they went to Klan meetings with him as babies. They did know him decades later. He was a horrible racist, but he's dead now.

I'll wait. Hillary, Bill, and Byrd are not in Washington now, so you need better (and living) examples.

barfo

kingslayer and Propagandist like this.
  9. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
    No, your logic is flawed. Saying there are more than one racist in washington, is not saying that all criminals are the same. Its saying there are many people who benefit from racism in this country.

You could always go google it for yourself all the ties of the KKK, and other racist groups with people in office. Considering that racism has been a pillar of the US since it started, it seems unlikely that Trump is the only guy in there who’s a racist.

I think I may be misremembering Clinton and Duke as Im pretty sure Duke is / was a hard core Trump guy. Byrd though was definitely a Clinton supporter.

Im not 100% sure what your point is, oh thats right because you havent tried to make one!

It seems like you would like us to pretend that Trumps the only racist who holds an elected office, that some how he’s so much more racist then any other racist, that all the other racists are the litterbugs and Trumps the murderer.

Edit: If its not clear parts of this post are intentionally making irrational jumps in logic to prove a point.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  10. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Proud Boys are all pieces of shit, violent or not. The violent antifa/left people are pieces of shit too. There is a difference in the two sides. Acting like they're equal is ridiculous.

calvin natt likes this.
  11. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    You must not have read this thread from awhile back. I'm not sure where it starts talking about the okay sign but I suggest you read it:

http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/po...-blacks-in-biscayne-park.335511/#post-4534896

TorturedBlazerFan likes this.
  12. ABM

ABM Happily Married In Music City, USA!

Commercial Real Estate
    I must be living under a Tennessee rock, but before this past week, I had never heard of the Proud Boys.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/aug/16/portland-proud-boys-rightwing-march-liberal-city

............During the Obama years, Portland was widely seen as a redoubt of crunchy, progressive, west coast liberalism. Much of the world saw the city through the lens of Portlandia, a TV sketch show that lampooned hipsters, cyclists and fussy diners. The city was viewed as a liberal, cultural centre of the US – and a sharp contrast with more traditional conservative parts of the country. Its laid-back image was frequently satirised, not least by the comedian Fred Armisen, who said: “It’s where young people go to retire.”

Portlandia was more a caricature than a portrait, and locals noted what it left out – rapid gentrification and displacement, increasing homelessness, the contentious policing of the Portland police bureau (PPB) and the long racist history in the Pacific north-west that made Portland the whitest major city in America. The former NBA player Greg Oden said of his time playing in Portland: “It isn’t a great city to live in if you’re a young African American male with a lot of money.”

Even as Portlandia’s run was ending, a darker picture of the city was being painted, often by outsiders.

This weekend will see the latest in a long line of far-right gatherings that have plagued the city over the last few years. Various groups, including the most visible, the Proud Boys, will descend on the downtown area. Once again they will be met by leftist counter-protesters. And once again, PPB will be under heavy scrutiny for the way in which they police the event.

But how did Portland, for so long considered a bastion of American liberalism, become the centre of the country’s battle between left and right?

Ask Portland’s mayor, Ted Wheeler, what happened to the city’s brewpubs-and-bikes image, and he will say that behind the headlines and images of political street fighting, that city still exists.

“I would say Portland has not changed. The impression that people get these days is that everywhere you go in Portland violence is breaking out all over the place. That couldn’t be further from the truth.”(CONTINUED)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  13. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    Twitter thread:

Very minor point, but that "photo of" is weirdly redundant.

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  14. TorturedBlazerFan

Baby Daddy
  15. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  16. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  17. Rastapopoulos

Ballin'
  18. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

ANYONE that DEFENDS EITHER SIDE

HAS NOT ONLY CROSSED THE LINE OF DECENCY

THEY HAVE DECLARED WAR ON HUMAN DECENCY

Hoopguru likes this.
  19. SlyPokerDog

SlyPokerDog Woof! Staff Member Administrator

20. barfo

It's both-sidesism, excusing Trump because other people might be racist. Well, they might be, but they aren't president and they aren't overtly, publicly racist, other than Steve King.

Again, history isn't the issue here. Your claim was about the present, that there are multiple other people in Washington just as racist as Trump:

I'm not seeing you supporting that charge.

My point is that your point was inaccurate, and a way of excusing Trump's behavior.

I don't want you to pretend. I want you to support your claim. You claim there are other racists in Washington, tied to the KKK, who have said things worse than Trump.

You should be able to provide examples, if that is true. So far you haven't.

barfo