Will we win a championship with Gil?

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by GArenas, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ballerman2112 @ Aug 9 2006, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>The wiz will NEVER win a championship with their current center position. They dont have a guy to go downlow to constantly. Also, Gilbert is good but Lebron, Dwyane, and others are better. And they are just as young if not younger. He is going to need a dominant big man to go along side him in order for them to have a chance.</div>You're acting like Wade and LeBron are so much better than Gilbert. Let me tell you this, if the Wizards had gotten as much national televised games, you would be all over Arenas' nuts.

2. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

Some of you guys need to watch Wizards games before you comment in this thread. Gilbert is near unstoppable, he puts up 29 a night. Not to mention his backup from Antawn who btw is doing great in Team USA and Caron who is only a bit older than gil. Defense is what we were trying to improve when DeShawn joined. Not to mention that are depth problem is fixed now that Hayes is back and we signed a great shooter in Songaila and a perimeter defender is DeShawn.

3. ballerman2112

ballerman2112 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ming637 @ Aug 9 2006, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You're acting like Wade and LeBron are so much better than Gilbert. Let me tell you this, if the Wizards had gotten as much national televised games, you would be all over Arenas' nuts.</div>Thats funny, Wade and Lebron ARE alot better than Gilbert. Gilberts supporting cast IMO is tons better than Lebrons last season and the Cavaliers won that series. I said, they are never going to contend if he doesnt have a good big man on his team. I think that is an accurate thing to say. Look at all of the teams that have won championships. They have all had a good C or PF that helped them greatly win it all. Jamison is not a PF. He plays that position for the Wizards but that shouldnt be his natural position. He plays more like a SF. So are you saying that Gilbert IS going to win a championship with the same level of supporting cast while there are guys out there like Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Lebron James, and Dwyane Wade who are all going to be better than him if they arent already.

4. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

[quote name='ballerman2112' post='136241' date='Aug 9 2006, 08:42 PM']Thats funny, Wade and Lebron ARE alot better than Gilbert. Gilberts supporting cast IMO is tons better than Lebrons last season and the Cavaliers won that series.[/quote]Wade and LeBron are not better than Gilbert by a lot. For you to be saying that is very ignorant. He averages 2 more points than Wade, and explain how his supporting cast is "tons better" than LeBron's last season? Also, don't f*cking say the Cavs won that series. The refs were totally on LeBron's dick, it wasn't even funny.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGiBXYJiTF8Watch that and tell me it wasn't a travel. Also, game 6 before Gil's second free throw where Lebron came over to give him a few words? Where's the technical foul? That was such bull.
    Have you been even following the Wizards during the season? If not, leave the thread, don't even read the rest of my reply, you dumb F*ck. Brendan Haywood, Etan Thomas, and Antawn Jamison may not be the best big men, but they still go out there and work out. Stats don't say a lot, which you probably do to support your case. Go watch a few Wizards games, before you can reply again. Brendan Haywood has a decent moves to get free from his defender and to the basket, he keeps some possessions alive, Etan Thomas does a lot of blocking, rebounding and defending, Michael Ruffin comes off the bench and does a great job keeping poessions alive, blocking shots and hustling on both ends of the court.
    Jamison may not be the best power forward, but look at the 2005 Spurs. They had Tim Duncan, but that's the only big guy that had to carry this team. Compare the stats:Tim Duncan 04-05 Stats: 20.3 points per game, 11 rebounds per gameAntawn Jamison 05-06 Stats: 20.5 points per game, 9 rebounds per gameAntawn Jamison may not be the best big man out there, but he is still an important part of this team's offense. His natural spot is SF, but he does fine playing the PF.
    No, I never said they could win a championship just yet, but you're talking abut guys like Chris Paul? Dwight Howard? Are you on f*cking crack? Stop by over in Rockville, Maryland, I got something better for you to smoke, [​IMG] . Have you been watching ESPN or reading articles online at least? Gilbert Arenas, I know is underrated, but for you to be saying how bad he is, is very ignorant. Or if you want to look at stats again:Gilbert Arenas 05-06: 29.3 points per game, 6.1 assists per game, 2 steals per gameChris Paul 05-06: 16.1 points per game, 7.8 assists per game, 2 steals per gameNow go get a f*cking life and get the F*ck out of my house. Zards, finish this guy off.

5. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

Ballerman, I'm sorry to say this, but: You sound very dumb and ignorant when you're comparing guys like Gilbert Arenas who's an already proven NBA superstar to guys like Chris Paul, who's just coming off a good rookie year. And Dwight Howard? Please. Paul and Howard have great potential, but it doesnt mean that they're better than Arenas, right now. Gilbert knows how to take over a game. Those guys don't. I'm very tired of people always going around saying that the Wizards have no big men, Jamison is a SF, blah, blah, blah. Jamison may not be a great example of a PF, but he plays it. And he plays it fine. Getting a damn near double-double and putting up stats like 20 pts and 20 rbs against a Detroit club with the Wallace boys in the middle.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Two nights after scoring 25 points and grabbing 16 rebounds in the loss to Orlando, Antawn Jamison scored 22 points and grabbed 20 rebounds in nearly 56 minutes.</div>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5112501618.htmlWe have bangers, too. People dont recognize them, however. Ever heard of Etan Thomas and Michael Ruffin? Neither of them are afraid of contact inside, and they both play very physical. Haywood is fine for a starting C, he's better than what most teams have. I'm not even going to talk about the Cavs-Wizards series.

6. Something-To-Say

Something-To-Say BBW Banned

what was that quote for? it took him 56 minutes to get 20 boards? Hell, Chris Kaman has done it in less. As has Chris Wilcox.

7. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Something-To-Say @ Aug 10 2006, 03:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>what was that quote for? it took him 56 minutes to get 20 boards? Hell, Chris Kaman has done it in less. As has Chris Wilcox.</div>Congratulations nitpicking on the small detail. Now why don't you try replying to the whole response if you want any of our attention.

8. Something-To-Say

Something-To-Say BBW Banned

Well I was more attacking the Jamison part because I think he's declining, but...

9. ballerman2112

ballerman2112 BBW Elite Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ming637 @ Aug 9 2006, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Wade and LeBron are not better than Gilbert by a lot. For you to be saying that is very ignorant. He averages 2 more points than Wade, and explain how his supporting cast is "tons better" than LeBron's last season? Also, don't f*cking say the Cavs won that series. The refs were totally on LeBron's dick, it wasn't even funny.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGiBXYJiTF8Watch that and tell me it wasn't a travel. Also, game 6 before Gil's second free throw where Lebron came over to give him a few words? Where's the technical foul? That was such bull.Have you been even following the Wizards during the season? If not, leave the thread, don't even read the rest of my reply, you dumb F*ck. Brendan Haywood, Etan Thomas, and Antawn Jamison may not be the best big men, but they still go out there and work out. Stats don't say a lot, which you probably do to support your case. Go watch a few Wizards games, before you can reply again. Brendan Haywood has a decent moves to get free from his defender and to the basket, he keeps some possessions alive, Etan Thomas does a lot of blocking, rebounding and defending, Michael Ruffin comes off the bench and does a great job keeping poessions alive, blocking shots and hustling on both ends of the court. Jamison may not be the best power forward, but look at the 2005 Spurs. They had Tim Duncan, but that's the only big guy that had to carry this team. Compare the stats:Tim Duncan 04-05 Stats: 20.3 points per game, 11 rebounds per gameAntawn Jamison 05-06 Stats: 20.5 points per game, 9 rebounds per gameAntawn Jamison may not be the best big man out there, but he is still an important part of this team's offense. His natural spot is SF, but he does fine playing the PF.No, I never said they could win a championship just yet, but you're talking abut guys like Chris Paul? Dwight Howard? Are you on f*cking crack? Stop by over in Rockville, Maryland, I got something better for you to smoke, [​IMG] . Have you been watching ESPN or reading articles online at least? Gilbert Arenas, I know is underrated, but for you to be saying how bad he is, is very ignorant. Or if you want to look at stats again:Gilbert Arenas 05-06: 29.3 points per game, 6.1 assists per game, 2 steals per gameChris Paul 05-06: 16.1 points per game, 7.8 assists per game, 2 steals per gameNow go get a f*cking life and get the F*ck out of my house. Zards, finish this guy off.</div>Wow, you are calling me the ignorant *ucker? alright, let me embarrass you really fast ok?As for Dwyane Wade......Who averages more assists? Who just won the finals MVP? Who averages more rebounds? Thats right, he did and Gilbert didnt.You are blaming the Wizards loss in the playoffs off of a missed call? That shows that you are just a biased fan right there. If the Wizards were honestly that much better than the Cavaliers like you are acting, then they wouldnt have been in that situation to begin with. And o please, you think that Lebron should have gotten a techinal for that? So you are saying that Gilbert still should have missed those two free throws just because Lebron said something stupid? And im the ignorant one.All of the big men that you just mentioned are garbage. Maybe besides Brendan Haywood who is average. I hate to tell you this buddy, but almost all centers in the league have those traits. Rasho Nestervoic gets blocks....so is he a good center? Chris Mihm has pretty good footwork for a big man and some decent post moves.....does that mean that he is a big man that is going to help the lakers win a ring? Did you just compare Tim Duncan to Antawn Jamison? Dear lord, you are an idiot. First of all, Tim Duncan is the leader of that team that provides WAY more than just statistics. He is a natural big man. If you read any of my post, I said that Jamison plays more like a SF, which he does. I dont even count him as a big man because he doesnt play like one. Also, Tim Duncan was aggravated by a foot injury for the majority of the season. Go look at what Tim Duncan did in the playoffs and tell me that Antawn Jamison is even remotley on the same level as him. As for Chris Paul, I am saying he is going to be better than Gilbert in a few years which he will be. He had an amazing rookie season and he is going to do nothing but get better. As for Dwight Howard, he is the next closest thing to Shaq. He is the best rebounder in the league already and he is extremely powerful downlow in the block. He will also be a better player than Gilbert in 3 years maximum.<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zards @ Aug 9 2006, 08:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Ballerman, I'm sorry to say this, but: You sound very dumb and ignorant when you're comparing guys like Gilbert Arenas who's an already proven NBA superstar to guys like Chris Paul, who's just coming off a good rookie year. And Dwight Howard? Please. Paul and Howard have great potential, but it doesnt mean that they're better than Arenas, right now. Gilbert knows how to take over a game. Those guys don't. I'm very tired of people always going around saying that the Wizards have no big men, Jamison is a SF, blah, blah, blah. Jamison may not be a great example of a PF, but he plays it. And he plays it fine. Getting a damn near double-double and putting up stats like 20 pts and 20 rbs against a Detroit club with the Wallace boys in the middle.http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5112501618.htmlWe have bangers, too. People dont recognize them, however. Ever heard of Etan Thomas and Michael Ruffin? Neither of them are afraid of contact inside, and they both play very physical. Haywood is fine for a starting C, he's better than what most teams have. I'm not even going to talk about the Cavs-Wizards series.</div>O please Zards, dont become biased right now. You and I both now how good Dwight and Chris Paul are going to be in 2 years. You just used the word potential? They have already shown that they are great basketball players and that they WILL get better and better. Sure, Gilbert Arenas knows how to take over a game, but you are saying that Dwight Howard isnt going to be able to in 2 seasons? He is going to be the most dominant force down low in the league in 3 years maximum. He is already the best rebounder in the damn league for crying out loud. He is only 20 years old!The Wizards dont have any big men. Sure, Antawn Jamison's position that he plays for the Wiz is PF, but he sure as hell doenst play like one. Can he guard guys like Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett down in the post? Of course not, because he cant play in the interior.Also, I never said that the Wizards dont have "bangers". What I am saying is that you are going to need more than "bangers" as big men to win a championship. Look at the history line buddy, every team that wins championships has a good low post player that plays downlow.

10. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

[quote name='ballerman2112' post='136885' date='Aug 10 2006, 03:16 PM']As for Dwyane Wade......Who averages more assists? Who just won the finals MVP? Who averages more rebounds? Thats right, he did and Gilbert didnt.[/quote]That's a lot easy for you to say considering the team he has compared to what Gilbert's team has. The team looks up to Gilbert Arenas a lot more for scoring, than assisting and rebounding. Honestly, the only reason people think Dwyane Wade is a lot better is because he gots a lot more national attention than Gilbert Arenas does. If you've given Shaq to Washington, they would've won the championship easily. They both explode the same on offense, do the same damage on defense, but Arenas is a lot quicker and has a perimeter game. All it is, is exposure and what the national media feeds to the audience.
    Like Zards said, don't get us started about the Wizards/Cavs series, because we have a lot of to point out that will make you, the Cavs, and the Refs look bad. 1. The Refs: Did you even watch the video? Please tell me you're agreeing with the missed travel call, if not, F*ck you and you might as well stick to listening games on the radio.2. The Cavs: Like I said, the refs were totally on their side throughout the whole playoff series and it was obvious that the Wizards didn't get into that situation, the refs got them into that situation.3. LeBron's comments: Did you not hear LeBron James get booed by Verizon Center after telling Gilbert those comments in your damn radio? Or did you actually watch it and see the fans boo him yourself? There's no saying what could have happened, but he is one of the best free throw shooters in the league, getting to the free throw line and making them the most in the 4th quarter.
    They may have those traits, but do they all use them affectively like Brendan Haywood, Etan Thomas, and Michael Ruffin do? Not exactly, they don't have much of an offensive game, but they do know they're out there to secure rebounds and help guard the big men, and they don't act up like other centers do either.
    I'm an idiot? Look at what Mr. Big shot just said recently:
    Yes, Tim Duncan is a good leader, but if you do look at those stats, they are similar. Antawn Jamison is no leader, but he does know how to score and get rebounds. He came off the bench in Dallas winning that 6th man award and now in Washington he's taken a big role being part of a trio with Gilbert Arenas and Caron Butler. Antawn Jamison also provides more than just statistics.
    Now who said big men couldn't shoot three's or take majority of the shots? Similar big men in the past like Kurt Thomas, Nazr Mohammed, and Raef Lafrentz all took role as a big man for their teams, but contributed mostly by taking shots outside and going down sometimes and getting those down-low shots. Tim Duncan also has some foot problems lately in his career, while Jamison only suffered 2 minor injuries throughout his career. You can also compare both teams and the Spurs with Jamison would've gone as far as they would with Duncan.
    Yeah, ok? Care to elaborate? Gilbert Arenas scored 29 points and 6 assists this year and he's only 24 years old. Those are already superstar numbers, what makes you think he won't do better? Answer that.
    Oh, so are you saying he's going to be a better 3 point shooter than Arenas is? A better slasher than Arenas is? Quicker getting up and down the floor than Arenas is? More clutch than Arenas is? Do you're fu*kin math, Dwight Howard is a power forward/center and Arenas is a point guard. Obviously you can't compare them. But if you do, look at what Arenas did for his team, 2 straight playoff appearances. When's the last time Orlando made the playoffs? 02-03 season.

11. Zards

Zards The People's Champ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>what was that quote for? it took him 56 minutes to get 20 boards? Hell, Chris Kaman has done it in less. As has Chris Wilcox.</div>The game went into double-overtime, smart-ass.. [​IMG] Besides, Wilcox and Kaman are much younger than Jamison and more athletic. The guy is 30 freakin years old with no athleticsm what so ever and got 20 pts and 20 rbs against DETROIT. <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Well I was more attacking the Jamison part because I think he's declining, but...</div>The guy is putting up better numbers than last year..think before you say something because you obviously dont know sh*t about the Wizards.

12. nba dogmatist

nba dogmatist BBW Member

they will definitely need another dominant player in order to do so. they will also need some defense. I think Gilbert is a viable first option, but he'l definitely need some help if he even wants to contend for a championship. They need someone tough inside. If they can get a really solid double-double guy underneath, they can build from there. and NO, antawn Jamison does not count. He's not a true post player and he's a piss-poor defender. He's a pretty good guy to have around, but he won't be the second option on any contender.

13. Navijac

Navijac BBW Member

I think the Wizards won't win a championship anytime soon. Too much young talent in the league today and in a couple of years, Jamison will be rusty. I just don't see no core with the Wizards. Their talented and all but No experience or young talent except Arenas.Although, I do see the Wizards making a nice playoff run this year with Jarvis Hayes being healthy. Apparently the guy is supposed to have a breakout season says lots of Basketball writters.

14. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Navijac @ Aug 11 2006, 03:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I think the Wizards won't win a championship anytime soon. Too much young talent in the league today and in a couple of years, Jamison will be rusty. I just don't see no core with the Wizards. Their talented and all but No experience or young talent except Arenas.Although, I do see the Wizards making a nice playoff run this year with Jarvis Hayes being healthy. Apparently the guy is supposed to have a breakout season says lots of Basketball writters.</div>No experience? Antawn Jamison is a veteran in this league, made the playoffs 1 time with the Mavericks and twice with the Wizards, how's that not experience? Caron Butler got the opportunity he needed to become a great player like people said he had the potential and now it's coming. This is only the start for the Wizards and if they keep playing like this, they'll become an elite team. And Jarvis Hayes being healthy? Haha, I wish. He hasn't been able to serve a few games without getting a season ending injury. And link me to where he's supposed to have a "breakout" season.

15. GArenas

GArenas Wiz Fo Champz

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ming637 @ Aug 11 2006, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No experience? Antawn Jamison is a veteran in this league, made the playoffs 1 time with the Mavericks and twice with the Wizards, how's that not experience? Caron Butler got the opportunity he needed to become a great player like people said he had the potential and now it's coming. This is only the start for the Wizards and if they keep playing like this, they'll become an elite team.

And Jarvis Hayes being healthy? Haha, I wish. He hasn't been able to serve a few games without getting a season ending injury. And link me to where he's supposed to have a "breakout" season.</div>
    Jamison is experienced, and a veteran you're correct in that, Caron still has a while in him he just ended his 6th year and should get better this year during the beggining of his "prime". Gil is also only coming into his 6th year we're a pretty young team with the exception of Jamison. However whats to say Hayes gets injured again if he's getting less playing time off the bench, I'm hoping that Hayes lasts without an injury this year.

http://www.ringsurf.com/info/Sports/Basket...ern_Conference/

There's your link.

16. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GArenas @ Aug 11 2006, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Jamison is experienced, and a veteran you're correct in that, Caron still has a while in him he just ended his 6th year and should get better this year during the beggining of his "prime". Gil is also only coming into his 6th year we're a pretty young team with the exception of Jamison. However whats to say Hayes gets injured again if he's getting less playing time off the bench, I'm hoping that Hayes lasts without an injury this year.http://www.ringsurf.com/info/Sports/Basket...ern_Conference/There's your link.</div>That preview was set for 2 seasons ago, the year we traded for Antawn Jamison. It's useless now...