Williams a Warrior? Not likely.

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Hunter, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Hunter

Hunter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Williams A Warrior? Not Likely<div><span style="font-style: italic">Sep 19</span> - The Warriors still have Mickael Pietrus out there, and Miami wants him, and they could possibly do a weird sign-and-trade for Jason Williams, who can give Baron Davis a rest 10 minutes a game and maybe even into the playoffs ... But no. NO. Williams isn't the model of what the Warriors are and should be looking for as a back-up/third point guard.

The model, and maybe the only fit, is Darrell Armstrong, who is about 453 years old but can be had on the cheap, won?t complain or mess up the locker room (he'd help it, in fact) and is a guy who knows his way around the postseason. </p>

</div>-- San Jose Mercury News </p>

</p></div>

2. Montaman

Montaman JBB JustBBall Member

I'm down with Armstrong. He knows what his role would be, he's still got quickness at 40, and he's preferable to a guy like Williams who has had his malcontent moments.

3. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'm also down with Flash, but not as a Warrior. I like him because that guy used to be an exciting player. He had some major hops back in the day and he's still got terrific foot speed (like Montaman said) and great defensive effort.</p>

But there's a huge problem. He's not a playmaker and that's exactly what I think the Warriors are looking for to back up Baron Davis. Otherwise, we'd just play Monta Ellis a lot more and get that same great excitement, major hops, terrific foot speed, and great defensive effort. I think the Warriors either need a tall playmaker at shooting guard or we get a real point guard that can also score. I think most 6'5 or bigger guards that come off the bench that are known for decent passing aren't that great of shooters... I mean there's Mardy Collins (bad shooter), Bob Sura (not consistent), and others who aren't that great or that fast or they are too old. Maybe somebody like a Doug Christie would be helpful in limited minutes, but we don't actually want any part of Doug Christie's wife beating his ass setting a bad example for some of the young players. Then there's also Penny Hardaway, but he's not available since he's having a Shaq reunion. Sometimes, I wish we had Brandon Roy or Manu Ginobilli [​IMG]. Guys who can get inside, shoot it, dribble it, and dish it and lead the team by example. </p>

So since tall playmakers are hard to find (we're lucky we have Sjax) maybe we should look at the playmaking pure point guards that could play behind Monta Ellis (when he's starter in place of Baron) and play well with Marco Belinelli off the bench. Right now, I'm surprised nobody has contacted Earl Boykins. It's probably due to the fact that there is no way the other team can resist posting up Earl Boykins every trip down the floor on offense. But I think since we're such a small team anyway, having Boykins on board would be a plus. But if we're talking seldom used third string type of guard, we should again look towards the NBDL. There's bound to be a few guys that could bring a mix of skills that would make a good backup guard and we save money because it's something these guys in the NBDL want to put on their resumes especially if they only 6'3 or under.
    </p>

4. Montaman

Montaman JBB JustBBall Member

I didn't realize Boykins was availible. That would be very interesting.

5. CohanHater

CohanHater JBB JustBBall Member

Enterprise Architect
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (custodianrules2)</div><div class='quotemain'>

Maybe somebody like a Doug Christie would be helpful in limited minutes, but we don't actually want any part of Doug Christie's wife beating his ass setting a bad example for some of the young players.</div></p>

It's funny that you say that. My brother and I had that exact discussion yesterday. I think Christie would be a perfect fit if he still has his energy/legs. He knows how to play defense, run, pass, shoots the open 3 well and understands the game. Regardless of his home situation, I think he'd fit in well.</p>

With guys like Baron and Jackson on the team (Guy's Guys), I wouldn't worry about any effect Doug's wife would be on the team </p>

</p>

6. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

You have to love a guy like Darrell Armstrong who eats gobs of Hershey Kisses at halftime for energy. I think the only other pro athlete I've heard do something similar was Marvin Harrison.</p>

There's still some quality guards without jobs right now in the free agent market. Earl Boykins is a good call, another sleeper I like is Mike Wilks. He was productive for the Sonics last season and is ideal for playing a backup role as the 2nd or 3rd point guard in the rotation. Last season he had a +5.5 on/off court rating. What's interesting about his rating is the Sonics were a -4.3 in point differential when Wilks wasn't on the court. When he was on the floor the Sonics were a +1.1 in points PER 100 possessions. This indicates Wilks brought offensive stability when he was on the court and running the offense. He had a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio, which is decent for a backup.</p>

Wilks is undersized at 5'10, but he's stocky and filled out at 185lbs. He's currently trying to make the Milwaukee Bucks team to replace Charlie Bell.</p>

</p>

7. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Montaman)</div><div class='quotemain'>I didn't realize Boykins was availible. That would be very interesting.</div>

</p> ya...i wonder what team would want him..

8. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peg182)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Montaman)</div><div class='quotemain'>I didn't realize Boykins was availible. That would be very interesting.</div>

</p> ya...i wonder what team would want him..</div>

Cleveland & Boston have shown interest. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up back in Denver. He had a lot of success in Georg Karl's system, and if the Nuggets are foolish enough to think Sucky Crapkins is an adequate replacement for Steve Blake they are in for a huge dissapointment.</p>

9. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

Darrell Armstrong would be ideal. Hes a savvy veteran, tons of energy, can run the break, find the open man, play nice defense, shoot a little bit, good locker room presence, and can be had for cheap. Hes good to step in and play 2 minutes one night and 35 minutes the next night and we could use another wily 30+ veteran at the end of the bench with Foyle and Saras gone. </p>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peg182)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Montaman)</div><div class='quotemain'>I didn't realize Boykins was availible. That would be very interesting.</div></p>

</p> ya...i wonder what team would want him..</div>

I think he'd be a great fit in Charlotte. The Bobcats still have a nice chunk of cap room left, need a backup PG, more veteran presence, and more scoring.</p>