Williams Has Mark of a Pro

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, May 20, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">MILWAUKEE -- He is on the brink of fulfilling his dream of playing in the NBA, but Deron Williams says the magnitude of his success hasn't hit him.

Wednesday night, all he wanted to do was eat, sleep and put more than six tiring hours of basketball drills, scrimmages and weight training behind him.

"It's hard to get your body going twice a day," Williams cracked with a half-smile eclipsed by physical exhaustion. "I'm getting old. I'm about to be 21."

Only six weeks removed from a junior season in which he led Illinois to a runner-up finish in the NCAA tournament, Williams looks like he's ready for a career in pro basketball.

The 6-foot-3-inch point guard has slimmed down by working out and heeding diet tips from a nutritionist. His thinner face gives him a more mature appearance.

"He's a better player than I thought, and I thought he was really good," said Rick Majerus, the former Utah, Ball State and Marquette coach.

Majerus said Williams will impress teams with his pass-first approach and his improved three-point shooting from NBA range. Williams still must progress in several areas, and Majerus reminded him of one weakness Wednesday night.

"You have the [John] Stockton problem: unselfishness to a fault," Majerus told Williams after he passed up an open shot during the scrimmage.

Stockton was a 10-time All-Star for the Jazz and NBA career leader in assists and steals.

"It's just my nature," Williams said.</div>

Source