Williams Moves Past Draft Snub

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Shapecity, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Las Vegas- Jawad Williams is among a long list of solid college players in the Las Vegas Summer League who were expected to get drafted in June but were left out wondering.

Williams was a starter and member of NCAA champion North Carolina, but he was not among the four starters selected among the first 14 picks in the draft. Williams, a 6-9 small forward, averaged 12.7 points and 4.8 rebounds over his four-year career. That was not enough to get selected.

And all summer, Williams has had to answer questions about not getting drafted.

"Draft night is over with, and I've moved on and hopefully everyone will too," said Williams, a St. Edward High School graduate. "I'm tired of the question. Sometimes I regret that I didn't leave school early and I could have developed in the league instead of in college. But on the other hand, I got my degree and I won a national championship."

Now, Williams' NBA dreams will have to come with an impressive showing in the Las Vegas Summer League as a member of the Golden State Warriors.

"Sometimes when you have a great team with so many great players, you can get overshadowed," said Warriors assistant coach Keith Smart. "Jawad probably couldn't show what he is capable of doing because of all the attention his teammates received. That's unfortunate but he can still get into a position somewhere down the line to be a productive player in the NBA if he gets with the right team."

If Williams is the right player for the Warriors, he will have to get more time to prove it. Going into today's game against the Boston Celtics, Williams has played a total of 11.7 minutes in three games. He is averaging 2.7 points and 2.3 rebounds.

"I'm doing the best I can with the little bit of time I'm getting," Williams said. "That's very hard to do when you don't get a lot of time. I want to play on this level, so I have to do all I can whenever I get out there." </div>

Source

2. .cabangbang

.cabangbang BBW Member

Nice article. I really want him to make the roster

3. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting J-Rich23:</div><div class="quote_post">Nice article. I really want him to make the roster</div>

So do i, you can never have too many hustle players on your bench.

4. geezy

geezy JBB JustBBall Member

"...Sometimes I regret that I didn't leave school early and I could have developed in the league instead of in college. But on the other hand, I got my degree and I won a national championship."

from his quote i think he made a wise decision to have stayed in school...if after playing college and not getting drafted he probably would not have been too successful in the nba had he come out early and somehow got drafted...at the same time he may not even have lasted in the league too long as well...then where would he be now? he said it himself, he's got a degree and national championship and so i think he did it the right way...he's a poster boy for staying in school in case you can't cut it in the Association.