Windhorse: Blazers planning to stand pat

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by A$AP Meyers, Jan 10, 2020.

1. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Any GM don't look to improve his team he shouldn't be a GM. But I don't think Olshey trying to stand Pat it more likely the 2 expired contract in Whiteside and Bazemore he not getting no interest and if someone is the return is not good enough for Olshey.

3. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I've had a more positive view of Olshey the past few months, but them standing pat and not doing anything would be inexcusable to the point that I would never view him in a positive light ever again. I don't believe Windhorst, as I believe Olshey is smarter than that.

4. BonesJones

It's not that their isn't a supply of production from Whiteside, there's just no demand for that production. In other words, the demand for him is low not because he has "questionable impact", but because there's really no playoff teams that:
    A.) Need a C
    B.) Have trade-worthy contracts to match salary to bring in Whiteside
    C.) Have more than 2nd round picks to give up for him

The only team that I think might give up assets for Whiteside is Dallas trading Dwight Powell, Courtney Lee, and Golden State's 2020 2nd round pick for him... But even that's questionable.

His trade value lies in his expiring contract, not his play.

5. RipCityDSCPL

RipCityDSCPL Could be worse, at least it's not Lonzo.

I gave you the like simply for the sentence;

' I would trade CJ.'

6. BigGameDamian

I think Boston could have some interest in Whiteside.

calvin natt likes this.
  7. BigGameDamian

Whiteside, Bazemore and pick for Aldridge and Patty Mills works.

8. BonesJones

Doubt it, but even if they were, who would they be willing to trade for him to match salary? They wouldnt want to trade the contracts theyd need to trade away in order to match salary. Thats went a meant by "B.)"

9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

actually, what you'd have is a guy who fouls out in 1st halves

10. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

I read this as waiver wire. Just seems like there is a roster spot available for someone and getting Nurk and Skal back could help.

11. wizenheimer

I don't know when Nurk will be back...maybe soon, maybe Feb like has been predicted several times

the report on Zach was that he'd have his shoulder re-evaluated in about 4 months after surgery. So that could happen sometime around March, either in the first week or later. I'm assuming if the surgeon/doctor clears him for contact he could begin practicing then but it would probably still take 2-3 weeks after that before he was ready to return. That might be the end of March, or 1st part of April. Portland's last game is April 15. Seems like if Zach recovered normally, he'd only play in 5-10 games at most. I just don't see a reason to push that; in fact I see good reason to let him have the off-season to recover and rebuild before he starts the NBA grind again. I'm not sure what the stats are but it sure seems that one of the most recurring injuries is a shoulder injury, and he's not exactly a physical beast like Dwight Howard

kjironman1 likes this.
  12. tester551

tester551 Well-Known Member

Nope. It will be closer to $14 assuming Hood picks up his option. It will be just a little more than the MLE

13. wizenheimer

might be quite a bit lower than that. IIRC, the NBA sent out a projection last fall of a salary cap next year of around 116M. But after the Morey vs China disaster, and Trump's trade war, I read that the NBA sent out another memo to teams suggesting that the 116M projection might be lowered, perhaps significantly. Whether that will happen or not I don't know

But say for giggles the cap remains static (there was chatter of a 10-15% drop but that seems extreme). That would mean a 109M cap. Blazers, with Hood and Hezonja picking up their options (likely?) would be at about 97.2M. But that's for only 9 players so Portland would be assessed 3 roster charges of 900K putting their 'payroll' around 100M. Now, if they use their 1st round pick and had 2 roster charges, they'd be around 101M, and that would leave them with 8M in space, less than an MLE. If the cap actually contracts, they'd have less, if the China thing is overblown, they'd have more

and none of that accounts for Skal. His cap-hold will be 7M. And Melo's cap-hold will be 1.7M although that won't matter really. But with Skal, Portland at least has some control over only the 3rd player they have that's over 6'8 (the other two coming off major injuries). I can't imagine Portland just letting him go after what happened this season

in other words, we might not see cap-space having much of an impact

14. hoopsjock

hoopsjock Well-Known Member

Business Owner
    Harkless can't be traded to the Blazers until the off season.

15. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

He was saying on his Twitter he might be clear for non contact starting on all star break and reevaluate 1st week of March. If he clear contact then I would look him coming back by mid March or sooner.

16. jlprk

jlprk The ESPN mod is insane.

retired, while you work!
    We could save $20 million per year if we traded Whiteside for Kanter. In rebounds per minute, they are #2 and #4 in the NBA this season. Also the same in PER.

Kanter would be satisfied backing up Nurkic, while Whiteside wouldn't.

Do it, Olshey! You would reverse one of your biggest errors ever, which was to take Kanter's re-signing for granted, spooking him into running.

(I'll make up the $20M to make the trade work.)

17. BigGameDamian

So we're just doing the same wait and see bullshit. LoL.... Been down that road before.

18. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

Maybe Whiteside could be traded for a second round pick. With such a low return I'm fine keeping him and seeing if he ends up interested to resign as a backup.

If you can get a first round pick sure you do the trade... I highly doubt he has that value.

Andre Drummond is available as well and possibly not even worth a first round pick.

19. SharpesTriumph

SharpesTriumph Well-Known Member

True. But letting Hassan and Bazemore comtracts expire without getting junk in return gives us the chance to resign Zach and Simon's to valuable deals, or use the MLE, etc.

Getting overpaid contracts in return for Hassan or Bazemore would hamstring us similar to Meyers/Turner/Crabbe junk did.

There is no trade that makes us a contender this year or next year to do now. I'm fine playing our the season then make changes in the summer.

BBert and perkinsfor3 like this.
  20. perkinsfor3

perkinsfor3 Well-Known Member

Good. Sign / trade a 2nd for Justin Patton or Ivan Rabb. Sign Kenny Wooten.

Don't take on big contracts or more years. Load manage Dame and CJ, develop Ant and Gary Trent. Its a lost year - even if you sneak into the playoffs, you wont make it past the 2nd round and it will take too big of a toll on Dame and CJ.