With the 7th pick, the Toronto Raptors select Charlie Villenuva...

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by VinKanaddy, Jun 28, 2005.

1. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

With the 7th pick, the Toronto Raptors select Charlie Villanueva...

EDIT: read my comment on page 3..

2005 NBA Draft Raptors selections:

7th: Charlie Villanueva, 6-11, 240 lbs, PF/C, University of Conneticut.
    16th: Joey Graham, 6-7, 225 lbs, SF/PF, Oklahoma State University.
    41st: Roko Ukic, 6-5, 185 lbs, PG, KK-Split, Europe.
    58th: Uros Slokar, 6-11, 230 lbs, PF/SF, Snaidero Udine, Europe.

2. lazy afternoon

lazy afternoon JBB JustBBall Member

^I feel your rage man. I can't believe he was picked so early over guys that we were looking at like Granger, Green, Wright and Jack. Whatever Babcock has planned for this Raptor team, I don't like it so far.

Where has the love gone for Granger?

3. j0se

j0se JBB Banned Member

He's not worse than Isiah, he adress your defensive issue with Graham, and gave you guys a possible steal in the 2nd round with Ukic, weren't yous gonna lose Marshall? Charlie V would be a solid back up

Alston/Cook/Ukic
    Rose/Mo Pete/Ukic
    Graham/Rose
    Bosh/Charlie V
    Woods/Araujo

Solid

4. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket JBB JustBBall Member

I wanted the raps to get Green or Granger. THey could have gotten one of them with the 16th pick also. Why Charlie when you got CB4?

5. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

If he was going to take a big man it should of been Frye. Unless Villy can play Center.

6. Drake Remoray

Drake Remoray JBB JustBBall Member

[​IMG] It's going to be another long year [​IMG]

7. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

How could we pass up both Granger and Green TWICE???

8. Skiptomylue11

Skiptomylue11 JBB JustBBall Member

Charlie V was taken WAYYY TOO EARLY.
    AND plays the same position as our best player on the Raptors...
    AND has questionable work ethic.

How could we not take Granger, Green, Wright over Charlie...

At least we stole Ukic I guess...

9. Mr.Wade

Mr.Wade JBB The Canadian Dream

I was in shock with that pick... and jose you forgot about Matt Bonner, he's gonna be our 6th man this year.

Passing up on Granger and Green twice was not smart...

10. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

we could of had Granger AND Green. that's all I can say.

I'm not as pissed at the Graham a selection...but I don't know how we pass up Granger and Green TWICE.

But Villanueva? I rather have Channing Frye. CV plays the same pos. as Bosh and he's not more talented than Granger or Green. We solidified 2 posistions for the future instead of 3...Babcock owes me money for a near remote.

What could have been:

06-07

PG: Ukic
    SG: Green
    SF: Granger
    PF: Bosh
    -C: Hoffa/Pape/First rounder.

[​IMG]

Reality

05-06

Alston/Ukic
    Rose
    Graham
    Bosh
    Villanueva?Hoffa?Pape?

Villanueva better learn how to play the center in the NBA and just not the SF/PF like he said in his interviews.

11. VinKanaddy

VinKanaddy JBB JustBBall Member

You know what.. I was pissed when the 7th pick was announced, but as I kept watching the draft, I was settling down because we were able to get Joey Graham with the 16th AND steal Ukic with the 41st pick. It's just the initial shock of picking Villanueva so early that got me swearing. Ukic is going to be the steal of this draft, period. Babcock did take a huge chance by gambling that Graham will fall to them at 16 and Ukic at 41st, but because he gambled we were able to fill three roster needs. Not just two had Babcock picked Graham with the 7th and Ukic with the 16th. I think Villanueva can play center, and he's going to be MUCH better than Araujo. If you look at what happened right after we picked Villanueva at 7, up to the 13th pick the teams picked bigs. I give Babcock a A- rating for this draft. As far as Danny Granger is concerned, it's not just us who passed on him and I think he must be more injury-prone than we all think.

12. P.A.P.

P.A.P. JBB Fresh Start

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting VinKanaddy:</div><div class="quote_post">You know what.. I was pissed when the 7th pick was announced, but as I kept watching the draft, I was settling down because we were able to get Joey Graham with the 16th AND steal Ukic with the 41st pick. It's just the initial shock of picking Villanueva so early that got me swearing. Ukic is going to be the steal of this draft, period. Babcock did take a huge chance by gambling that Graham will fall to them at 16 and Ukic at 41st, but because he gambled we were able to fill three roster needs. Not just two had Babcock picked Graham with the 7th and Ukic with the 16th. I think Villanueva can play center, and he's going to be MUCH better than Araujo. If you look at what happened right after we picked Villanueva at 7, up to the 13th pick the teams picked bigs. I give Babcock a A- rating for this draft. As far as Danny Granger is concerned, it's not just us who passed on him and I think he must be more injury-prone than we all think.</div>

I looked at it that way too...but what would you rather haver Green/Granger/Ukic or Villanueva/Graham/Ukic. Ukic was an excellent pick, I thought we were going to pick him at 16 (prior to the draft ). However, their was much better talent on the boards at 7 and 16.

06-07

PG: Ukic
    SG: Green
    SF: Granger
    PF: Bosh
    -C: Hoffa/Pape/First rounder.

Reality

05-06

Alston/Ukic
    Rose
    Graham
    Bosh
    Villanueva?Hoffa?Pape?

same thing as I posted before...but whatever...[​IMG]

We essentially got 3 first rounders with 2...however, we could of gotten 2 early lottery picks and a first rounder. Granger and Green to me just have more upside than Villanueva, and they fill our needs better than Villy does. Prove me wrong Charlie. Prove me wrong.

I think I'm starting to miss Grunwald even though I never liked him...

13. BlueBayou

BlueBayou JBB JustBBall Member

I think the reason for a Charlie V selection is a trade waiting to happen, or the realization that Marshall is gone.

14. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    It seems like Babcock has a tendency to use high picks to take players that are expected to go maybe 10 picks after. First Hoffa, now Villy. The Graham selection was good, but it's doubtful when you have two top 10 prospects still on the board. Green and Granger are going to prove us wrong, although Green wouldn't have been happy to be in Toronto. I just can't see why we'd have to settle for Villanueva, Graham and Ukic when we could have had Granger, Jack and Taft. That basically solves all three holes.

15. Bobcats

[​IMG] Granger and Green. What could've been. [​IMG]

16. Carcharias

Carcharias JBB JustBBall Member

When I heard Charlie Villanueva was called, by heart sank!

Now many many hours later I have calmed myself down and I am looking at it from a different perspective.

On my wish list for first pick was: Green, Granger, Graham, Wright....in that order.

for my second pick wish list it was Jack, Warrick, Ukic

so....if I think that Graham was choosen w/ our 7th, Ukic w/ our 16th and Villanueva w/ our 41st....it isn't so bad.

We did get 3 very good athletes w/ our 3 picks, regardless of what order they came in. Identified our rebounding and defending issues. And got a very sexy point guard to bacup or take lead spot one day.

Perhaps (going out on a limb here) Babcock and the Cockettes did do their homework. Maybe they reaaly wanted to pick up the 3 they got, but knew that Graham & Ukic would still be available at 16th and 41st.

If Villanueva didn't go to T.O w/ their 7th, he could have easily been picked up by GS at 9th?!

Who knows....I hope to God it works out. I hope to GOD Babcock is the greatest basketball mind of all time and Araujo, Villanueva, Graham & Ukic turn out to become solid NBA players. Who knows.

17. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

It would have made more sense if he had drafted only one of Villy or Graham. You could stick them at SF and draft a guard with Green. Charlie won't be a bust. But he won't be as good as some of the other guys we could have had. And I see time conflicts between all three players. Graham sometimes plays like a 4.

18. Stunt101

Stunt101 JBB JustBBall Member

stern was laffing at us...man this was such a random pick we couldve gotten charlie v at the 16th spot and green or granger at 7. Imagine that... wow of all the possibilities that the raptors community at jbb had in mind, Charilie V was not in a single one of them...lol

Babs has to try to stop drafting by need and start drafting with the bestplayer available and that was green or granger...and if we had both we could trade mo pete rose awy so we could free up cap space...

19. Bobcats

I kind of feel bad for Villanueva. He might put up ok stats, but he might be considerded a bust because of how high he went. Same with Araujo. Maybe Babcock secretly doesn't like them and wants to make them busts. [​IMG]

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Stunt101:</div><div class="quote_post">stern was laffing at us...man this was such a random pick we couldve gotten charlie v at the 16th spot and green or granger at 7. Imagine that... wow of all the possibilities that the raptors community at jbb had in mind, Charilie V was not in a single one of them...lol

Babs has to try to stop drafting by need and start drafting with the bestplayer available and that was green or granger...and if we had both we could trade mo pete rose awy so we could free up cap space...</div>

The thing is, Villanueva wasn't a pick of need. He wasn't even the BAP. Bosh plays the same position! I can understand he wants to replace Marshall, but this could've been done with the 16th if he wanted or in the second round because Taft dropped into the second round. Granger, Green, and Ukic or Taft. Holy crap we could've had the best draft out of everybody but Babs messed up with the 7th big time.

20. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Holy crap we could've had the best draft out of everybody but Babs messed up with the 7th big time.</div>

That pretty much sums up my problems with the draft. We got good players. I got nothing wrong with Villy, Graham, and Ukic. But the way the picks before us turned out? We could of had an amazing draft. Green, Granger, Ukic, and Sean Banks?