Withers Not Worried About Pre-Draft Buzz

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Shapecity, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">ORLANDO, Fla. - How long Curtis Withers plays in the NBA likely hinges on convincing the NBA he can play like he's long.

Withers was a rugged, 6-foot-8 forward for the Charlotte 49ers. Rugged is a good thing, but it might not be sufficient to get him drafted as an NBA power forward. Hard as he worked Wednesday to block out in a pre-draft camp game, longer players kept reaching over him for rebounds.

"Long" has become one of the NBA's favorite buzz words. Stretchy-arm players, such as N.C. State's Cedric Simmons, are the preferred body type. So Simmons might be a lottery pick next month, while Withers might not be drafted at all.

Withers understands that, but there's a difference between understanding such realities and surrendering to them.

"Whether I get drafted or not get drafted isn't the point," he said. "Whether I get a chance to make a roster is. I'm very coachable. There is always going to be somebody who is a little taller, faster or stronger. But those aren't always the guys who make it."

Withers had nine points and seven rebounds in 22 minutes in his game Wednesday.

He said being undersized didn't stop Charles Barkley or Elton Brand from thriving as NBA power forwards. The difference is those two players were (are, in the case of Brand) great scorers, and Withers is not.

He tried to expand his game by playing along the perimeter, but the 49ers needed what he does best -- rebound.

"I can score, but that's not my strength. I do other things," Withers said. "What I do best is play hard, rebound and play close to the basket. Supposedly they're looking for basketball players here, not just guys who do one thing (i.e. score) well."

Players who are undervalued in the draft often make up ground with a willingness to help all over the court. Wake Forest's Josh Howard lasted until the final pick of the first round in 2003 because he had no head-turning skill. It turned out Howard did everything pretty well and is now a star with the Dallas Mavericks.

If Withers has nearly the career Howard is assembling, he'll be very fortunate.

He doesn't want to accept an alternative, such as signing with a European team.

"I'm a person who doesn't settle. If I lose a leg, then I'll go to Europe," Withers said. "I'm pretty confident I'll play in the NBA, because if you're (an undrafted) free agent, there are always two or three people ahead of you.

"But I'm not afraid to compete with anybody."</div>

Source