Wizards' Butler a Star in the Making

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Shapecity, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">One day, Caron Butler will be able to tell his children that he was a first-team All-State forward as a high school basketball player. And, he was a lottery selection in the NBA draft. And, he was involved in trades for two former overall No. 1 picks in the draft (Shaquille O’Neal and Kwame Brown).

What about All-Star status as a small forward for the Washington Wizards? Butler isn’t there yet, but he feels it’s just a matter of time before he is.

“I honestly feel this way — if I would have been a starter early on this year, I feel I would have had a great opportunity to be an All-Star just from the numbers. ,’’ said the 26-year-old Butler, a Racine native who became a starter for the Wizards in late December.
    “But I feel my opportunity will come over the next five years. I’m looking at history. That’s what I want to make. I think that’s why they signed me to this long-term deal — because they feel I can accomplish some goals.’’

Like being an All-Star? Absolutely, according to Wizards general manager Ernie Grunfeld.

“I think Caron is definitely an All-Star-caliber player,’’ said Grunfeld, who acquired Butler and Chucky Atkins from the Los Angeles Lakers last Aug. 2 for Kwame Brown and Laron Profit. “He has the potential to be an All-Star. I think he’s starting to feel real comfortable in his role and really comfortable with his teammates.’’

Butler, who was named a first-team All-State forward following the 1997-98 season at Park High School, signed a five-year $47 million extension last October that will start next season. And he has justified that commitment with his play.

Through last Wednesday, when he suffered a sprained right thumb during a game against the Boston Celtics when it got stuck in Paul Pierce’s jersey, Butler was averaging 17.3 points, 6.1 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.6 steals. He is 12th in the NBA in free-throw percentage (86.6) and 15th in steals (118).

He has put up big statistics in a number of games. Among his best performances were 34 points against the Golden State Warriors Feb. 8 — one point shy of his NBA high — and career-best totals of 16 rebounds against the Chicago Bulls Jan. 27 and 14 free throws against the Los Angeles Lakers Dec. 16.

But what perhaps illustrates Butler’s effectiveness more than anything is this: The Wizards have lost three straight games since Butler’s injury. And after he was moved into the starting lineup for the first time Dec. 21 against the Denver Nuggets, when the Wizards had lost six of their previous seven games, Washington improved from four games under .500 (10-14) to four games over (39-35) at the time of his injury.

“He had a lot to do with it, there’s no question about it,’’ Grunfeld said. “It took him a little while to get accustomed to our offense and his teammates, but now the chemistry has been very good in the last 20 or 25 games.’’

</div>

Source

2. I-Miss-MJ

I-Miss-MJ JBB I am so SMRT

how the hell this guy was let go by both Lakers and traded is a joke. He is vastly under-rated.

3. Coville

Coville BBW Member

Butler was no use to the Lakers. He didn't play defense in LA and they needed big men, they were stock piled with small fowards and needed to move Odom to the 3 spot to have any chance at success. With Kobe Bryant he just didn't have a place on the team.

Kwame has been playing great for the Lakers in the last 20 games averaging 13 points, 9 rebounds while shooting like 67%. Not to mention he has been a stud defensively.

The Kwame Brown/Caron Butler trade benefited both teams, Kwame got a new change of scenery and he is doing very well while the same goes for Butler. Butler was never going to be a star playing 3rd option to Kobe and Odom.

4. The One & Only

The One & Only JBB The Orlando Tragic

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting tix_:</div><div class="quote_post">Butler was no use to the Lakers. He didn't play defense in LA and they needed big men, they were stock piled with small fowards and needed to move Odom to the 3 spot to have any chance at success. With Kobe Bryant he just didn't have a place on the team.

Kwame has been playing great for the Lakers in the last 20 games averaging 13 points, 9 rebounds while shooting like 67%. Not to mention he has been a stud defensively.

The Kwame Brown/Caron Butler trade benefited both teams, Kwame got a new change of scenery and he is doing very well while the same goes for Butler. Butler was never going to be a star playing 3rd option to Kobe and Odom.</div>

Yes sir! [​IMG]

5. Buckets

Buckets JBB JustBBall Member

I love Caron Butler, I love the way he plays, I love the way he defends, I overall love the guy. To me he's a great player, looking at his numbers he's the Caron Butler we saw in his rookie campaign but better, he's super athletic and gets his numbers while defending well, It would be a shame if the Wizards let him go this year when he's a Free Agent.

6. Laker_fan

Laker_fan JBB JustBBall Member

The problem in LA was that we had two small forwards, Caron Butler and Lamar Odom. We tried to play Lamar at the four and Caron at the three but it didn't work out. We ultimatley chose Lamar over Caron and traded him for a real big man who could play the four spot. I hope he fulfills his potential and becomes an all star.

7. Apollo

Apollo JBB Into The Fire

I wish only the best for this guy, a true underrated player with alot of heart is what he is.