Wizards Hand Bobcats First Loss

Discussion in 'Charlotte Hornets' started by Smitty, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Smitty

Smitty brush em off.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">CHARLOTTE, N.C., Nov. 4 (Ticker) -- Antawn Jamison made sure there would be no postgame celebration for the expansion Charlotte Bobcats.

Jamison, a Charlotte native, scored 24 points to lead five players in double figures as the Washington Wizards defeated the Bobcats, 103-96, in their landmark first regular-season contest.

"To have a state that's going to support basketball and really take it seriously, not to have the NBA was disappointing," said Jamison, a Charlotte native. "But the NBA recognized that. I think it is just a matter of time before things are back to the way they used to be."

The Wizards, who rode Jamison's 34 points to a win at Memphis on Wednesday, are 2-0 for the first time since 1994. Washington's last 3-0 start came in 1978, when the Bullets won their first four games.

With the contest tied, 85-85, midway through the fourth quarter, Washington went on a 9-0 run to take the lead for the good. Juan Dixon came off the bench to pour in 13 of his 15 points in the final period.

"I was playing with a chip on my shoulder," Dixon said. "I wanted to show people I could come and play. I'm going to keep on helping my teammates and hopefully we will continue to keep winning."

Gilbert Arenas made his season debut after sitting out the opener due to a league suspension and scored 19 points for the Wizards. Jarvis Hayes chipped in 17 points and Larry Hughes - also suspended Wednesday - added 14.
    </div>

Wizards Hand Bobcats First Loss