Wizards' Haywood seeks strong start

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Ming637, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">RICHMOND -- While the pinched nerve in Darius Songaila's back is easily the most delicate development at training camp, the fragile relationship between coach Eddie Jordan and center Brendan Haywood is easily the most intriguing story line in the foreseeable future.

Both are saying all the right things, talking about how steps were taken in mending the relationship that became so frayed last season. But the bottom line is that Haywood, coming off a season when his numbers dropped for the first time in his career, is no longer a lock to be the team's starting center when the regular season begins.

Haywood, who has started 138 games over the last two seasons, is locked in a battle with Etan Thomas -- who has 19 starts over the same span -- for the starting job. And with the addition of Songaila -- whom Jordan already has said will play some center when the Wizards go with a small lineup -- there will be a constant battle for playing time.

Jordan benched Haywood twice last season, and the pill went down hard. Haywood criticized Jordan and said on more than one occasion that the relationship was almost nonexistent.

The two met over the summer to talk about their relationship. And to this point, Jordan is pleased with what he has seen out of Haywood. "We are solid. We are good," Jordan said of the relationship. "I see him willing to do some things we've asked him to do. </div>

Link

I hope Haywood rebounds from the bad season he had last year, I think his offensive presence will come in handy better off the bench. Etan Thomas is energetic and he will do a lot of dirty work on the defensive end, and an occasional put back score.