Wizards' Jamison Makes U.S. National Team

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Shapecity, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">When the U.S. national team gathered in Las Vegas on July 19 for its first workout, Washington Wizards forward Antawn Jamison figured to be a long shot to make the roster for the FIBA World Championship team.

However, a handful of injuries -- including a groin strain suffered by Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas -- combined with Jamison's showing in pre-tournament games helped him make the team yesterday when Coach Mike Krzyzewski and national team director Jerry Colangelo announced the 12-man squad.

The U.S. team plays its opener against Puerto Rico tomorrow in Sapporo, Japan.

Arenas was forced to withdraw during practice Monday, but the two-time all-star may not have made the roster anyway because he was facing stiff competition at point guard from Chris Paul of the New Orleans Hornets and Kirk Hinrich of the Chicago Bulls.

Jamison was one of the team's most consistent players as it won all five of its tuneup games. Jamison, who averaged 20.5 points and 9.3 rebounds for the Wizards last season, has flourished in Krzyzewski's up-tempo attack. He appeared in five games, starting the final one against South Korea on Tuesday, and averaged 9.6 points on 54.8 percent shooting in 12.8 minutes per game.

"I think we are seeing great chemistry as far as guys checking their egos at the door and being unselfish," Jamison said. "We have so many scorers and so many talented athletes [that] the biggest question was could we all play together and I think we have silenced all those critics."

Only Carmelo Anthony (16.8 points), LeBron James (15.8) and Dwyane Wade (12.2) averaged more points than Jamison. Anthony and Jamison also led the team with eight three-pointers.

Jamison also benefited from injuries to Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion, both of the Phoenix Suns, and Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant.</div>

Source

2. og15

og15 JBB *********

Jamison was shooting 40% from downtown for us for a while last season. Thing about him is that he's best as a catch and shoot guy, not as a guy putting the ball on the floor, so he'll be big for the team.

Arenas was too weak minded to make the team...

3. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Very mentally weak...I'm kind of disappointed in him...

Good for Jamison. I honestly thought he was a long shot, but I guess not.

4. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

wow, i am shocked, i know its not suposed to be an all star cast, but jamison just doesnt seem to fit either. But hey, good for him.

5. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

Congrats to Antawn Jamison for making. It's good to know one of them will be able to represents the Wizards in this one.

6. huevonkiller

huevonkiller Change (Deftones)

Student.
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheBlackMamba:</div><div class="quote_post">Very mentally weak...I'm kind of disappointed in him...

Good for Jamison. I honestly thought he was a long shot, but I guess not.</div>

You sure that's the problem? Anyway, good for Jamison, I like his range, etc.

7. og15

og15 JBB *********

Haha, we're joking, we're just mocking I think Heat4life is is user name, can't remember, heat something.

8. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

Congrats to Jamison. I wonder who would have got cut if Arenas hadn't gotten injured.