Wizards, Stevenson Find Comfort Zone

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Ming637, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">DALLAS, Oct. 21 -- Washington Wizards shooting guard DeShawn Stevenson spotted Gilbert Arenas walking off the court at American Airlines Center and shouted toward his teammates, "Who's this?" Stevenson squatted, then slowly stood upright and lifted his practice jersey above his head, twirling it around like a windmill, while shaking from side to side.

Stevenson didn't need to tell his giggling audience that he was imitating Arenas's performance during the Wizards' home opener last season, when Arenas emerged from a movable platform in a cloud of smoke while waving his warmup jersey. "That," said Stevenson, who watched Arenas's antics from the opposing sideline, as a member of the Orlando Magic, "was hilarious."

Arenas smiled and waved off Stevenson, knowing that it was merely payback for the good-natured ribbing he gave Stevenson moments before. Arenas has known Stevenson since they played AAU basketball in California -- "when he weighed 165 pounds and could jump on top of the rim," he said -- and kidded him that he no longer has the same leaping ability. "They used to call you 'Rain Man Jr.,' " Arenas shouted, referencing the nickname of former power-dunking NBA star Shawn Kemp. "No more. Now, he's just a bucket of water."

The playful banter before a 93-90 loss to the Dallas Mavericks is just one example of how quickly the 6-foot-5, 220-pound Stevenson has meshed with his new teammates. Off the court, he's quick to crack jokes with Arenas and Caron Butler or borrow Antonio Daniels's headphones and break into a dance. And, on the court, he has helped make playing defense contagious and figured out how to maneuver in the Princeton offense.

"It feels like I've been on the Wizards three, four years," Stevenson said on Saturday. "I thought it was going to be a big adjustment, coming to a new team. I'm just one of those lucky guys to be in a situation where I felt comfortable right off the bat.

"I've never been on a team where everybody is cool. Usually, one or two guys are headaches, but from one to 15, everybody is a good guy."</div>

Link

Reading this article makes me excited on how not matching the Knicks' offer for Jeffries, and signing Stevenson was the right decision. Bringing in Deshawn means another scorer is brought on to the starting lineup and it will definitely spread the defense around with the fire power the Wizards have. He's already gotten along with his teammates like he was on the team for 3-4 years, and he's learned to catch on to the princeton offense very quickly.

2. Krstic

Krstic JBB Formerly TheCh0sen0ne238

im glad that he is making connections..espicaly with the best player on the team who will make him better

3. Ming637

Ming637 BBW Banned

<div class="quote_poster">Krstic Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">im glad that he is making connections..espicaly with the best player on the team who will make him better</div>

Yeah. They've known each other since playing AAU ball together and they've come a long way with jokes, and playing. Deshawn's role on the team should make the team better, and quickly since he's able to create chemistry with everybody on the team already.

4. og15

og15 JBB *********

Stevenson will be decent for us, people should not put too many expectations on him though, he's really a backup more defense oriented SG in this league. If he could really focus on his defense and become a stopper type guy, he'd be quite sick.