Wizards Worried About "Dirty" Bulls

Discussion in 'Washington Wizards' started by Shapecity, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

Wizards Worried About "Dirty" Bulls

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">WASHINGTON -- The theme coming out of the nation's capital for some time has been to fight aggression.

Now, is it the Washington Wizards' turn when they begin the first round of the playoffs against the Bulls on Sunday at the United Center?
    "We know it's going to be physical," Wizards scoring star Gilbert Arenas said Thursday after practice. "We know they have a couple dirty players. We've been watching tape on them. There's nothing you can do but go out there, play your game and let the referees take care of it. That's where you have to keep your cool and your patience.

"If those teams [on the tape, Miami and Detroit] complained, that's a good thing because the referees already know."

The spunky little Bulls? How dare he!

"We have to go out there like assassins, warriors," said Arenas, the former Golden State Warrior. "We have to have the mind-set, 'Don't feel sorry for anyone. Take no prisoners.' That's what the best teams do. We're not going to worry who is hurt, who is missing. They're going to go out there trying to destroy from the beginning, and that's what we have to do."</div>

Source

2. ChicagoSportsFan

ChicagoSportsFan JBB JustBBall Rookie Team

These comments show the wizards lack of playoff experience. All that they are doing is allowing the media to guide them into comments that will only fuel the Bulls. The media doesnt care who wins the series they are trying to sell papers.

As for a rivalry, the media is trying to create that. I just see 2 young teams trying to make it out of the first round.As teams cry about the bulls d, it just shows you how babyfied the legue has got. Everybody is barking at officials now adays, even the 12th man. Everyone has the heart to drive to the whole but noone want the punishment.

3. og15

og15 JBB *********

Are they talking about Andres Nocioni?

I think they could be, but the Wizards aren't the first one to call them dirty, its not big deal, the Bulls are just attempting to play tough. I think their can be a rivarly between these teams, I think one will build up as the years go, rivarly's are never a bad thing.

Anyways, go Wizards, Arenas has never been afraid to take contact, so their's no worries with him, and the rest of the guys are fine except maybe Jamison, he doesn't like being hit too much.

4. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

This could actually be a good ploy for the Wizards to get the refs on their side. Phil Jackson (when he was in Chicago) made similar comments during a series against the Detroit Pistons to do the same thing.

5. briang8818

briang8818 JBB JustBBall Member

I agree with Nocioni being dirty, and I don't fault Gilbert for saying that.

6. Mamba

Mamba The King is Back Staff Member Global Moderator

Gilbert was speaking the truth. I like aggressive D, but it is no secret that Nocioni is overly aggressive, and at times...dirty, the same goes for Chandler (the last meeting of the season we saw it from him).

Like og15 said, Arenas isn't afraid of contact, I don't see how that quote shows the playoff inexperience, care to explain that michiganave17?

7. ChicagoSportsFan

^ What shows playoff inexperience is answering questions that give the bulls something to get fired up about. Thats not smart. Teams that have playoff experience avoid such comments because they understand how they(comments) could impact a series.

and how is nocioni and chandler all of a sudden "dirty players".? People get pushed people get punched people get emotional during games. Is shaq a diry player? Shaq tried to knock brad millers head off while his back was turned.
    Was carl a dirty player? Hes knocked out plenty of teeth with his elbows (intentionally). alot of players do thing that may be considered dirty. things happen that are crazy during games like when J.Howard knocked someone out of the air hard a few years back and he was branded as dirty, now noone even remembers that. nocioni is getting heat because he is a rookie and he hasnt learned how to do things without getting caught. all the greats did things that could be considered dirty but learned how not to get caught.

8. Mamba

How do we know the Bulls will get fired up over it? They don't have any playoff experience either...

9. ChicagoSportsFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">How do we know the Bulls will get fired up over it? They don't have any playoff experience either...</div>

No one knows if anyone will get fired up over something, but there is always that chance. Playoff experienced teams shy away from that type of stuff because it (more than likely) will become part of the teams pep-talk and could serve as extra motivation.

10. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">and how is nocioni and chandler all of a sudden "dirty players".? People get pushed people get punched people get emotional during games. Is shaq a diry player? Shaq tried to knock brad millers head off while his back was turned.
    Was carl a dirty player? Hes knocked out plenty of teeth with his elbows (intentionally). alot of players do thing that may be considered dirty. things happen that are crazy during games like when J.Howard knocked someone out of the air hard a few years back and he was branded as dirty, now noone even remembers that. nocioni is getting heat because he is a rookie and he hasnt learned how to do things without getting caught. all the greats did things that could be considered dirty but learned how not to get caught.</div>
    lol, Karl Malone and Stockton were known as some of the dirtiest players in their time, they were definately dirty, and known for it. Their's a difference between incidents of confrontation and a player playing dirty. Shaq tried to knock Miller's head off, but how many times do you hear about Shaq doing something dirty, that was a one time confrontation. Look at something like the Billups - Jefferson situation, no one called Billups dirty because it's not something he does. I don't think Chandler is dirty, but I'd have to agree that Nocioni is, he's constantly overly agressive, and though he's nice, he might need to tone it down.

11. ChicagoSportsFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting og15:</div><div class="quote_post">lol, Karl Malone and Stockton were known as some of the dirtiest players in their time, they were definately dirty, and known for it. Their's a difference between incidents of confrontation and a player playing dirty. Shaq tried to knock Miller's head off, but how many times do you hear about Shaq doing something dirty, that was a one time confrontation. Look at something like the Billups - Jefferson situation, no one called Billups dirty because it's not something he does. I don't think Chandler is dirty, but I'd have to agree that Nocioni is, he's constantly overly agressive, and though he's nice, he might need to tone it down.</div>

How many bulls games have u seen? Because this all started with the Miami incident. before that no one even knew(out side of chi) he could play D.Wade elbowed Noch in the chest before he got pushed is wade dirty? Now all of a sudden hes over agressive because the precious wade was pushed.
    If his defence was over agressive it wouldve become an issue earlier. now hes getting a name for himself theres a problem. But i dont see having physical defence a problem as long as ur not trying to hurt anybody (and i dont think noch is trying to hurt anyone).
    Basketball is a mental game on any level and good defenders frustate scorers.

12. shankyoass

shankyoass Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

i think they might be talking about nocioni. the thing on wade and the elbow thing

13. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

hey og15 since when was stockton dirty. i never heard that. wat did he do??

14. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting NbaBaller:</div><div class="quote_post">hey og15 since when was stockton dirty. i never heard that. wat did he do??</div>
    Him and Malone were mastersof elbows, they were both dirty, I'm pretty surprised people don't know this.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">How many bulls games have u seen? Because this all started with the Miami incident. before that no one even knew(out side of chi) he could play D.Wade elbowed Noch in the chest before he got pushed is wade dirty? Now all of a sudden hes over agressive because the precious wade was pushed.
    If his defence was over agressive it wouldve become an issue earlier. now hes getting a name for himself theres a problem. But i dont see having physical defence a problem as long as ur not trying to hurt anybody (and i dont think noch is trying to hurt anyone).
    Basketball is a mental game on any level and good defenders frustate scorers.</div>
    It was more like Wade was frustrating Nocioni than Nocioni frustrating Wade. It's not like players are taking shots at him because he's playing them so tight. Raja Bell is an agressive defender, but I don't hear of him being called cheap, you can be agressive, and not take those little cheap shots, and he really might not be trying to hurt anyone, but that's what it seems like at times.

Am I the only one that saw him get suspended a few days later for elbowing Tayshaun Prince, or did I just think that happened and it really didnt?

15. ChicagoSportsFan

u never answered my question. "D.Wade elbowed Noch in the chest before he got pushed is wade dirty?"

Raja Bell? whos bench is he hiding under? he disappeared after thet LA 76ers series(4 years ago).
    LOL! Raja Bell? *head shake*

16. Mamba

Yea, Bell really disappeared..he only averaged 12.3 ppg this year...why don't you research a little before you make an ignorant comment like that...

17. og15

og15 JBB *********

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting michiganave17:</div><div class="quote_post">u never answered my question. "D.Wade elbowed Noch in the chest before he got pushed is wade dirty?"

Raja Bell? whos bench is he hiding under? he disappeared after thet LA 76ers series(4 years ago).
    LOL! Raja Bell? *head shake*</div>
    Wade was just using his forearm to protect the ball, but their's bias, me as a Wade fan, and you a Bulls fan. Then again, Nocioni then got suspended days later for elbowing Prince.

Raja Bell is averaging double digits, hitting three's, and being the only other defensive presence for the Jazz outside of AK47, I don't know where you got him dissapearing on someone's bench from.

18. Sir Desmond

Sir Desmond JBB Stig!

Michiganave17 is spot on here, IMO.

Who cares if Arenas can take physical contact, or if the Bulls haven't been in the playoffs for a long time? You never know how criticism will make a team react, and when you're a team like Washington who has no playoff experience either, it's a dangerous practice to dabble in.

You go out to bat for your teammates. Just calling one or two players dirty is like calling the whole team dirty, and you can bet the Wizards' comments will be plastered all over Chicago's locker room prior to tip-off.

19. ChicagoSportsFan

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Kobe 8 Ball:</div><div class="quote_post">Gilbert was speaking the truth. I like aggressive D, but it is no secret that Nocioni is overly aggressive, and at times...dirty, the same goes for Chandler (the last meeting of the season we saw it from him).

Like og15 said, Arenas isn't afraid of contact, I don't see how that quote shows the playoff inexperience, care to explain that michiganave17?</div>

I think 25 points and 18 rebounds by Nochioni explains it best. Would u like to argue that. Im sure u now understand where I was coming from.

20. og15

og15 JBB *********

I don't know how putting up numbers retracts that fact the he's overly aggressive, but he definately had a very good game, no denying that.