Woj: Ask yourself this

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Strenuus, Jun 20, 2014.

1. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

I still think melo is a very capable defender, he's too athletic and skilled not to be. It just doesn't happen for whatever reason.

2. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    FIFY.

3. The_Lillard_King

The_Lillard_King Westside

Would you need to trade both? Batum plus Trob plus . . .

It seems like the board (generally) doesn't want Melo . . . I see Melo as one of those star players you do what you have to make it work and that he isn't the team killer others think he is. But I understand where the anti-Melo posters are coming from.

The fact that some other GMs around the league are fighting to get Melo (even at the max contract) means my position isn't entirely way out there either.

4. The_Lillard_King

Here is a guy who knows a little something about basketball defense:

The Bulls’ push to acquire New York Knicks star Carmelo Anthony is heating up heading into NBA draft week, and perhaps no one wants his services more than coach Tom Thibodeau. According to one of Anthony’s former coaches, Thibodeau has reached out to him and to several other coaches who have worked with Anthony with numerous calls. ‘‘I even told Tom that there may be days he will want to blow his own head off when it comes to Melo’s defense, but he keeps saying he knows he can make it work,’’ the coach said. ‘‘It’s not that Carmelo can’t play defense, it’s just how often. And he knows every trick in the book on getting around that.’’ Chicago Sun-Times

Problem with Melo is if Blazers aren't winning, I can see him put up an attitude playing in a small market and try to turn into a one man offensive show and play no defense. However, it is a risk I would be willing to take

all this doesn't matter because he wouldn't come to Ptd anyways. Reports are he is considering Chicago and Houston . . . heavily leaning towards Chicago.

5. Stevenson

Stevenson Old School

Writer
    Yes, Melo is a superstar, but he is the worst superstar in this generation. Only a fool for a GM would build a team around him.

6. The_Lillard_King

Oronly a fan who thinks he knows more than a GM is a fool. :)

7. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    I'm in the camp of wanting to get Melo because he adds tremendous talent to this team. When that is available, you take it and try to figure it out later. If his defense is good enough for Thibodeau then it's good enough for me as a Blazers fan. I've never been a huge Melo fan, but put him with Damian and LMA, we have 3 tremendous talents that would be difficult to stop.

The Blazers must upgrade their talent SIGNIFICANTLY if they expect to compete with the west next season. The Thunder will find a way to get better, as well the Spurs, Rockets and everyone else. Simply upgrading the bench won't be enough. Neil should be speaking with Melo's agent on July 1st to see if there would be interest in a sign & trade.

8. BlazerWookee

Gear Finisher
    Our starting five is as good or better than any in the NBA. Upgrading our bench to a point where we can give the starters a few extra minutes of rest each game will go a REALLY long way.

9. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Why would lebron go back to the cavs then?

10. RR7

RR7 Well-Known Member

He's from the area.

11. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

He won't, but if he did, it would be because he would want to win for his home area. Plus, having 3 fellow #1 overall picks on the roster would be enticing.

12. AmirIcon

AmirIcon Well-Known Member

Writer, Director, Actor
    I agree that our starting five is great, but why not add a legitimate superstar to it? Is that a bigger addition of talent or adding someone via MLE and BAE? I'm FOR the addition of talent. If we can get Melo for Wes Matthews or Batum plus spare parts, I say go for it. You would be insane not to.

13. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

I think Anthony is a lot like Dominique Wilkins or George Gervin. Great scorers, but not elite, MVP-level players. I may be wrong on that opinion, but Anthony has been in the NBA for 11 years and has been out of the first round only twice. His career playoff stats are worse than his career regular season stats. He'll be 31 next season. I just don't think he's worth the 5/$130m that he'll be seeking by opting out. Let some other team have him, and keep the Blazer core together.

14. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

I'd really wait to see what Dame is giving the team as a third year player before making a move; we might add a legit superstar by just "adding" 3rd Year Dame.

15. PapaG

PapaG Banned User BANNED

Another thing about Anthony is that his USG is ridiculously high. He was at 35.6 two years ago, which led the NBA. Last year, he was at 32.4 and put up a PER of 24. He's definitely an All-Star player, but he's now on the downside of 30, and played 38 mpg last year. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think he's extremely overrated, and playing in NYC has had a lot to do with it.

16. The_Lillard_King

I agree with this and also like the Blazers starting 5 . . . but I can't help myself wanting one of the perceived NBA stars to join this team in hopes he does something that these other GMs think someone like a Melo will add. Maybe being in a big market they can take more risks and are in fact forced to take more risks to keep the big market fans and TV contracts. I know so much logic says Melo does not make a team better, but why do so many teams and players want him?

I think Melo on the Blazers make them a contender to deal with in the West . . . but then again Howard going to the Rockets made them a contender in the media eyes and Blazers knocked them off.

In the end I write it off because it won't happen . . . but if Olshey pulls it off, it would mark his legacy with the Blazers, question is what would that legacy be?

17. PDXFonz

PDXFonz I’m listening

@WojYahooNBA: Channing Frye has opted out of final year of his Phoenix contract and become a free agent, sources tell Yahoo. Suns were informed today.

Coming back to where he lives in the offseason, to hang with his good friend Robin Lopez who has been telling him how amazing it is playing in portland? All the while reuniting with his old teammate Lamarcus Aldridge who will introduce him to the new face of addidas, Damian Lillard.

Sign me up

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  18. BlazerWookee

Gear Finisher
    You said:

I disagreed. I didn't say we shouldn't add a legitimate superstar to it.

I don't think legitimate superstars are black holes on offense and completely invisible on defense, so in my book that absolutely disqualifies Anthony from the discussion...

19. RoyToy

RoyToy Clown Town

Frye signing with Portland seems inevitable to me

No way Stotts doesn't want him

20. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

He is basically the ultimate Stotts player: a highish TS% (>50%) experienced 4/5 jumpshooter (37% 3P) that plays a bit of defense, and sets a good pick.