WOJ: Dame wants the super max extension

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Dec 7, 2021.

1. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

So dumb.

Dame: “I want better players around me”

also Dame: “I am going to make that virtually impossible “

Good for Dame though

2. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's not in Webster's but the Oxford dictionary definitely has it as the past participle of likewhore which is one that cheaply sells themselves out for likes in forums and on other social media outlets. It's a very common word. The website: https://www.smart-words.org/500-most-commonly-used-english-words.html had it ranked as the 51st most used word in the English language right between she and which. That's just how fucking common it is. I can't believe you hadn't heard, read and said it before.

3. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

Because winning games and winning a championship are two completely different things.

Can the Blazers win games with Dame? Absolutely.

Can the Blazers win a championship with Dame? Right now it's not looking so good. Hypothetically yes, if the team were able to go out and put enough talent around him, they could in theory win a championship with him. But will they be able to get all that talent? Hard to say. The odds are no. We only have maybe 3-4 years of Dame being Dame. At some point he has to transition to the next phase of his career.

So really the question is, do you care more about Dame or winning a championship?

SlyPokerCat likes this.
  4. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

lack of playoff victory wasn't because of paying Dame 180-190M over the last decade....

it was because of paying Olshey 30M to incompetently mismanage the team, paying Stotts 30M to coach, and over-paying CJ 150M to be option 1b

5. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

That's all true, and it's Neil's fault that we pissed away most of Dame's prime, but the past is the past. We're looking at the future, and it's hard to make a case to keep Dame around and pay him ungodly amounts of money while we have a roster that might barely make the playoffs.

SlyPokerCat likes this.
  6. blazerkor

And we can be sure that this sentiment is accurate because Olshey always did such a masterful job of putting complementary pieces around him and using the rest of the available salary wisely. So it's definitely all on Dame being paid just as much as other perrenial all nba players.

riverman likes this.
  7. wizenheimer

LOL...c'mon man. That's a pretty fucking ridiculous either/or and I'm pretty sure you know it is

considering it's been 45 years since Portland won their only championship, and 30 years since they've been in the finals, I'm confident keeping Dame won't change the equation negatively

RR7 likes this.
  8. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Warriors are sure glad they kept Steph....we'll be glad we kept Dame. Jody is spending money...I thought that would make folks happy...does me! We already have better players around him than we have had in the past other than the LA Rolo team

RickyJoe likes this.
  9. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

The question is, with our lack of assets do you see the current squad being able to make moves necessary to become contenders in Dames timeline?

If not, it should be time to explore the trades. For instance, if we start this year and are a bottom 5 team in the West, or make the play-in and sign ourselves up for that the next 4 years, does that make you happy as a fan? It is quite depressing to me.

10. SharpeScooterShooter

SharpeScooterShooter SharpeShooter

Freeloader
    Hello,

I would like to point out the flaw I see in this analogy.
    The team didn't have the return Dame would net on this roster when he sat out last season.
    That haul would definitely improv the win/loss record unless if was for a bunch of picks.
    Not really seeing how your post makes sense. Sorry.

AngryFan likes this.
  11. blazerkor

I think the team and I agree with them, thinks that Ant is going to be better next to Dame than CJ was. Also that Grant is the best forward they've put with Dame since LaMarcus. I don't think they're done with this roster yet. I do think when this roster is complete for this season that they'll be a 4th-6th seed and not a team that might barely make the playoffs. I also think they're trying to gather talent to make other moves that they see as complementary to Dame, should Dame/Ant have some of the same problems as Dame/CJ. That's how I see things right now but I could be totally wrong and the smart move might be to build around the Simons/Sharpe back court. Unfortunately for people with the vision of the team you have that ship set sail when the Grant trade went down and it will be too late to turn back once they extend him if that's a weird two year extension before the trade is official or a longer one before the trade deadline next year... this shit is going to happen. The best you can do now is hope that it does get us to a point where we can contend.

I'm going to say this again. People are sleeping on Jerami Grant as an exceptional second or third option on offense and a really good defender.

HoopsFanAZ likes this.
  12. TBpup

TBpup Writing Team

Investment Management / Financial Planner
    Love Dame, but Steph is on another level.

13. John Law

John Law Member

It's really simple math: in a salary cap/ luxury tax league, if you pay one player all the money, and especially if that one player is not a dominant player day in and day out, you won't win because you didn't have enough money to get other good players to pick up his slack. Dame is a good player, but he doesn't play up to his contract as it is, much less giving him $50+ million more while he gets older and more injury prone. He simply doesn't have the resume to deserve the money he wants, and the only reason management pays it to him is because fans keep coming to watch him lose in the first round. Enough is enough. Stop giving this dude all the money that should go to getting a better team together.

AngryFan and WillG like this.
  14. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Both are top tier in my view and I think Steph would agree with me but ...to each their own. Winning will show that....

RickyJoe and HoopsFanAZ like this.
  15. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I will agree that there really aren't many reasonable theoretical Dame trades that make a ton of sense. The teams that have assets that buttress a true rebuild aren't in a position to become contenders by adding Dame, and vice versa.

16. wizenheimer

well, I don't believe the Blazers are done yet or that the roster, as it is, is as hopeless as you do

maybe I'm being too optimistic but I'm thinking a healthy, motivated Dame leading a new roster coached by Billups is not reason for all the doom & gloom that many of you see. If, the Blazers are a bottom 5 team in the West again, they can tank and field offers for Dame. I think they will be a lot better than that

17. wizenheimer

please justify that assertion

HoopsFanAZ likes this.
  18. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

I think the probability that we end up top 4 and can actually stand a chance against the Warriors is non-existant.

Not looking forward to a treadmill team fighting for the playoffs and gettinf knocked out in the play in or first round.

We don't have many assets to improve upon either.

19. wizenheimer

I guess that means that 29 other teams should give up and look to trade their best player....?

20. blazerkor

This season Dame will be the 8th highest paid player in the league... I realize he only played a few games last season in which he was extremely hobbled by the injury that ended his season but all of the experts agree is not one that will be chronic. So I'll excuse the fact that your memory fails you but before last season Dame was the 5th leading vote getter in all nba voting, the year before that 8th, the year before that 8th and the year before that 4th. So I'd say that he does play up to his contract since it's the 8th highest contract in the league... I mean if you were just trying to play semantics and say that he wasn't worth it last season you'd be right but otherwise you're just wrong. If you don't like all nba voting you can look up a wonderful stat, points created which adds up the points a player scores and those he assists on. He's been second to Steph a couple of times and the season before last, he was second to Luka.

riverman and HoopsFanAZ like this.