WOJ: Dame wants the super max extension

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by B-Roy, Dec 7, 2021.

1. SlyPokerCat

SlyPokerCat cats rool dogs drool

Don't people want to see Dame have a chance somewhere else at actually winning something? I'll root for him wherever he goes. He isn't going to win with us.

Instead of watching the next 5 years of being a first round exit by being a 6-8 seed, tear it down and rebuild. Keep simons and little.

2. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Jesus, this is nuts. No subtlety needed.

Minstrel, Eastoff, Strenuus and 6 others like this.
  3. trailblazer18

trailblazer18 Well-Known Member

It also means what is being said about Lillard is real...

4. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

I'm glad we lost cryptic Dame on this one. We got full on, no shits given Dame.

5. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

They may be true, but the slant/bias of the article is disingenuous.

Lillard wants a two-year, $107 million extension in July, and he and his agent need the next general manager to sell ownership on the idea. <-- Implies Dame just cares that the new GM will approve his extension. Instead of Dame wants to get the extension because it's a lot of money.

In the past year, Lillard and his camp have been thwarted on leverage plays -- Jason Kidd as coach, trading CJ McCollum and four first-round picks for Ben Simmons. <-- Kidd was a powerplay against the org, instead of just a suggestion by Dame. By all accounts he's happy with Chauncey. Dame pushed for trading CJ, instead of Dame was okay with the price of Simmons if the FO was okay with the price.

With four seasons -- including an opt-out -- left on his deal, Lillard had no leverage to choose his next team this past summer. If he had asked out, he would have gone where Portland could get the best package of young players, draft picks and salary-cap relief. Asking for New York and Philadelphia makes for dramatic storylines, but the multiple years on his deal would have emboldened several small and non-destination markets to engage with Portland's steep asking price. <-- Implies Dame wanted out, just couldn't ask for it because of his contract status. But that contradicts the supermax narrative. Why would he want an extension if he wants to get traded?

PCmor7 and HailBlazers like this.
  6. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

No. I want to see him win here.

ehizzy3, julius, blazerkor and 3 others like this.
  7. EL PRESIDENTE

EL PRESIDENTE Username Retired in Honor of Lanny.

No. I want him to win in Portland and have a GM put a team around him again that can compete.

He's the best blazer ever, and he needs to win in Portland to cement that legacy.

8. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

got it yesterday too.

9. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

I'm with B-Roy here. I don't see this being Olshey's way of getting back at the team, for the simple reason that it makes no sense from that perspective.

It's a bit of a Tim Donaghy situation. The person with nothing to lose is likely the one telling the truth, but the reason they have nothing to lose is they lost most of their credibility already.

10. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    It seems to me that the best play would be to right away move CJ and other pieces needed to bring in Simmons or whatever other target SF/PF would fit well with Dame. See how that plays out this season. If it looks like it's going to work towards building a legit contender, then give Dame his max contract this summer. If not, trade him for the best assets you can either by the deadline or next summer.

11. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

There is an anti dame slant/tone to the piece but anyone who has followed the team for some time would take the information given and side with dame, that’s why I don’t really understand the aim. But it is interesting.

does anyone think dame wanting the Supermax extension is wrong?

illmatic99 and blazerkor like this.
  12. SlyPokerCat

I am fine with this approach. But if we can't, let him go. Rebuild and start over.

13. SlyPokerCat

I just don't see it happening. Even if we traded for Simmons. I'm fine with giving that a year or two and seeing what they do, but at some point we gotta get off this treadmill of mediocrity.

14. DDolla

DDolla Well-Known Member

Dame want to stay with Portland and suck all Jody’s money lol. How can we win and sign another star or two?

15. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

He's been a joy to have here. I want to give it every shot we can. I agree. Let's give it a year or two and see what he wants to do. I would like us to get it to the point that he thinks we can win even after his game starts declining.

ehizzy3 likes this.
  16. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

lol why would anyone think he doesn’t? I’m sure he does. Who wouldn’t want 50 mil a year? It’s a good thing, but also contradicts all that shit about him potentially leaving. I’m just gonna trust Dame until he gives me reason not to. He wants to stay, now trade CJ and whoever else and balance out the roster around him.

BonesJones and blazerkor like this.
  17. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

My favorite Blazer ever was Clyde the Glyde. Became a Rockets fan as a kid and enjoyed watching him win the chip. With Dame it's different, he's embraced and represented RipCity beyond belief. Wouldn't trade him for anybody if he wants to stay. Time to mortgage the franchises future, all in.

BonesJones and blazerkor like this.
  18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

If Olshey kept his mouth shut he probably would’ve gotten another job in the league. Now I’m not so sure after the Woj article and response by Dame. Pride comes before the fall, or whatever the saying is.

FlashWad and Haakzilla like this.
  19. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

GrandpaBlaze and e_blazer like this.
  20. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Lowe says Philly hasn't considered McCollum. Sources in Philly have echoed the same thing. Fischer has said the same thing.

I would be GROSSLY surprised if CJ is moved for Simmons.

Minstrel and JDC like this.