Wojnarowski: Blazers GM Cho Wants to Blow It Up, Needs To Convince PA

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by SlyPokerDog, Feb 14, 2011.

1. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Timing for a deal is never important. The contents of the deal are.

2. BlazerBeav

BlazerBeav Well-Known Member

I tend to doubt that - his sources had Warkentein replacing KP.

3. hasoos

hasoos Well-Known Member

Warkentein probably had a damn good chance at the time, and that is probably what he reported. If I remember right, he was the guy who broke the story in the first place that KP was going to get axed.

4. Klinky

Klinky Seal Of Approval

It would be good to back it up. I haven't seen Woj prove much as far as predictions or sources.

5. Ed O

Ed O Administrator Staff Member Administrator

He was talking about KP being in trouble WELL before it seemed at all likely that was the case.

Ed O.

6. Ed O

I (maybe) disagree. This team isn't challenging for HCA... until we have a team that's capable of doing that--or we have a team with young guys who may improve to get us to that level--we need to keep changing things.

Trading Miller and Joel and Camby would not be, to me, blowing things up, but it wouldn't be minor tweaks, either. Somewhere in between.

But it's something I think that we should do.

Ed O.

7. Dirty_F_Baby

Dirty_F_Baby 503s Finest

i dont think we can get anything of value for miller and pryz. nobody will give us a starting point, which is what we need. so i think keeping miller is the way to go... unless the jazz want to send us williams without getting back LaMonster. lol

8. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    All depends on the price. I'd trade LMA for the right price.

9. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

You think the club should trade all three of those guys this year midseason or would be open to doing it?

For the right deal that improves the club to contender status, I'd be at least open/interested in trading anyone on the roster... but I don't think losing those three would equate to addition by subtraction. Miller and Camby are still very solid starting players so if I'm Cho I'm primarily dangling JPEC and picks. I'd really like to see them take a healthy Miller Mathews Batum LA & Camby roster into the playoffs as its one of the better starting 5s in the league. They've gone 20-11 without Roy this year which is a winning at a 65% clip. Depending on how things shake out in the playoffs, I'd probably be more interested in moving Miller and Camby then.

STOMP

10. Ed O

Open, leaning towards probably should.

I don't think that the team is good enough to matter right now. If it's not good enough to matter, we should be getting assets that will help us down the road.

I don't think we should get rid of them just to do it or to clear up playing time for anyone...

Ed O.

11. STOMP

STOMP mere fan

would it matter to their core younger talent if they were to win a playoff series? I definitely think so. Pulling the plug on a season with some promise is a little dicey as to how it will affect guy's mentality unless you're getting back really obvious assets

obviously a stud young PG or another solid starting talent level young Big player would be great for their future, but I'd also point out that Camby and Miller should have about as much value next offseason as this midseason trade deadline

STOMP

12. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Well, good to know I don't need to get my hopes up.

13. Klinky

Klinky Seal Of Approval

Tom Penn was fired on Mar 16th, 2010. Didn't take major brains to figure out that KPs job was in jeopardy after that point. I've searched and scoured and haven't found anything to suggest that Woj was on top of either the Penn firing or Pritchard's job security before Mar 16th, 2010. Heck here's Canzano speculating the very next day(Mar 17th) that KP could be next. Woj took until Mar 22nd to create this article, where he sources from Canzano.

Unless someone can produce evidence to the otherwise, I stand by my earlier statement on Woj's integrity/connections.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  14. Ed O

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-milespritchard011709

Ed O.

15. Ed O

I don't think that winning a playoff series matters at all since at least 40% of the starting lineup would not be around the next time we won a playoff series... and I think it's a stretch to think this team can win a series at this point.

They might even have MORE value next year, that's for sure. Or Camby might get hurt again and be worthless except as an expiring contract.

We'll also muddle along in mediocrity for another year, rather than trying to get better for the future.

I don't think that it's a situation where we have to get a player along the magnitude you describe... at least not that's at that level now. If that player can get there in two or three years, that would be enough for me.

Ed O.

16. BrianFromWA

BrianFromWA Editor in Chief Staff Member Editor in Chief

I think that article shows that Wojo's talking out of his ass about the Blazers. At least three pieces were factually incorrect, and the assertion (less than 400 days ago) that Miles wasn't completely finished is so far off that it's hard not to LOL.

17. MadeFromDust

MadeFromDust Well-Known Member

edit wrong thread

18. Ed O

He WASN'T completely finished. He was able to make it onto an NBA roster and play a fair bit. He wasn't good enough to stay in the NBA, but that's not the same as being physically finished.

I am interested, though, to see people have the same reaction to the column that they did at the time it came out... of course, now we know that KP was fired and maybe wasn't the golden boy almost everyone (including me, for most of his tenure) gave him credit for.

Ed O.

19. Klinky

Klinky Seal Of Approval

20. Minstrel

Minstrel Top Of The Pops Global Moderator

User Interface Designer
    I think you're playing semantic games. Wojnarowski wasn't talking about "physically finished," he was talking about Miles still being a viable NBA player, as evidenced by this:

Wojnarkowski is clearly implying that Miles is still a legitimate NBA player who should garner interest around the league. The fact that he reported that several NBA executives claimed that they were going to contact his agent about signing him, followed by Miles dropping out of the league for good, isn't exactly a ringing endorsement of his sources.

The fact that he "made it onto an NBA roster" isn't evidence of much, as it seems pretty clear to me that it was simply an attempt to ensure that Portland couldn't take him off their salary structure. Note that this isn't a claim that Memphis did anything wrong...they found a legal loophole and exploited it. Teams will do that any time they have a chance. But it's certainly not de facto evidence that Miles was not finished as a legitimate NBA player.