Notice Won't get fooled again?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Stevenson, Feb 26, 2019.

1. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Not sure our opinions are different--I think perhaps we're just talking about different things.

You said that "Those who don't want to be fooled" are bandwagon fans. In your opinion, what does "not being fooled" refer to?

2. CupWizier

CupWizier Well-Known Member

retired
    it says to me that those that don't want to be fooled again are afraid to emotionally invest in the team for fear of being disappointed. Thus not being 100% supportive fans. I will always risk disappointment if the reward is advancing towards a title. Hopefully that clears it up what my opinion is.

3. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I do appreciate the clarification. There would actually be a lot to unpack there. I would definitely disagree with some of the assumptions, implications, and conclusions indicated therein.

4. CupWizier

retired
    and that's why we are individuals with individual thoughts.

5. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Man, there is so much about this opinion I disagree with if I didn't have to work today this could be a very interesting conversation. I wouldn't mind coming back to it this evening when I hopefully have some time, and of course, if you don't mind having a conversation about it? For the record, I understand it's opinion and it's ok for us to disagree.

PtldPlatypus likes this.
  6. CupWizier

retired
    No problem on my end.

7. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Last Year: Nurk the Flipper
    This Year: Nurk the Flipper-Offer

Huge Difference, IMHO.

RR7, e_blazer and RickyJoe like this.
  8. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    There's also pressure. A first round flameout could mean changes are coming:
    https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/479463b0-344b-4f0e-a64d-85438fbaa08d#BJUiCBxI8N.copy

e_blazer likes this.
  9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

nope....Nurkic is Bosnian

flipper-offer is German

10. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    Ok so here’s my disclaimer. I've worked a ton of hours the last couple weeks, and am at that point where I feel like I'm dreaming in code... So I want to apologize if this comes off as disrespectful once my brain is on better terms with reality I will try to fix this up.
    So here's my thoughts-
    Whats a 100% supportive fan?
    My money, my time, my viewership equals the same amount of support as anyone else's. You say you’ll cheer for them to the end, you're excited when they make the playoffs, etc like other people won't be, simply because they, don't want to be fooled again?”
    You talk about being a homer, but when platypus brought up them being a title contender you scoffed at that idea. So if you’re that much of a homer they could regain the 3 seed in the next couple weeks, yet you dont think they’re a contender?
    You also seem to think fans who are weary about getting excited as if the Blazers are a contender, are somehow less of a fan because of that.
    It sounds like you’re just living in the moment happy for todays success, and happy when they succeed, upset when they fall short but unwilling to hope they’re a real threat, then telling people who are hesitant to take the same step you are, that they arent emotionally invested, or 100% supportive fans.

I can be all in on my fandom for a team and still understand that in reality they arent winning a championship, it doesnt in anyway prohibit me from enjoying their wins, from being upset at their losses. It doesnt make my fandom of the team any less real to me than your fandom of the team.
    I guess thats my opinion on it, I dont think they’re a championship team, but I’ll still hope they win one this year. I will still watch as many games as I can and spend hours on this website posting to other Blazer fans like you. I dont believe it makes me less emotionally invested or supportive of the team if I question how good they are, or if they’ll make it out of the first round.

Anyways I apologize again if this sounds like Im attacking you, I will drink some coffee, try to compile this project again and reread this.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019