Game Thread World Cup 2018

Discussion in 'Blazers OT Forum' started by BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94, May 26, 2018.

1. DUB

DUB Da, da da, da dah!

Just as France initially struggled with Belgium's formation before adjusting, settling, then winning; Croatia also struggled with England's formation before adjusting. England's 3-5-2 left Croatia's fullbacks with not much to do. They didn't capitalise initially, but eventually they started pushing forward, and getting crosses into the box. England chose to let Croatia's fullbacks do this, and back their aerial ability; they lost that gamble.

2. SIeepwalker

SIeepwalker The lone sane poster

I mostly agree, Pogba has been average, but Kante is so fucking good. He might be the best player on the team. He seems like an intelligent and likeable guy too, which is always pleasant. Griezmann hans't done much, but I felt like he gave his all on both side against belgium. Well, the whole team did really.

3. SIeepwalker

Yeah, I felt like we struggled out of the gate, but from the 20' until our goal, we were more in control of the game. Then it got kinda ugly

4. SIeepwalker

I'm fucking hyped !!

5. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

Griezmann dived so bad... game should be tied rn

DUB likes this.
  6. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

Can Croatia pull off the 2016 Trump play?

7. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

Heavy legs taking their toll. France absolutely capitalizing.

8. SIeepwalker

WORLD CHAMPS BABY !!!

9. DUB

DUB Da, da da, da dah!

Australia got closer to France in their group stage match, than Croatia did in the Final. Clearly Australia should have been in the Final.

Disappointing that the Final was decided by two incorrect refereeing decisions, but that's soccer. Griezman took a dive, he was touched, but only after his legs were in the air, tucked under him, already going down. Apparently the ref also thinks that all players should have their arms amputated, because the only way Peresic could have gotten his arm out of the way, was to not have any. Diving, and crap VAR decisions, pretty much sums up my lasting memories of this World Cup.

Even more disappointing was that France was rewarded for playing in such a negative fashion. Counter-attacking even against much lower ranked, and less talented nations, when you have such an array of talented players, is almost shameful. I know everyone will say that the end justifies the means, but I think its emblematic of a larger problem in soccer world wide. That said, if I was French, I wouldn't care less.

Croatia was clearly exhausted, the result of playing multiple extra time matches. Their best effort was already given against England.

The France v Belgium match was the best match of the World Cup, and the de facto Final. Whoever won that match was always going to win the trophy.

10. SIeepwalker

The Daily Show's "Africa won the World Cup" bit was an absolute disgrace. I'm astonished that such blatant racism could be expressed on high audience televison.

I'm glad that a lot of French NBA players like Batum, Gobert, Fournier... expressed their discontentment towards it

11. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

Disgusting, it’s like saying Team USA basketball getting gold is a gold for the continent of Africa. These men are proud Frenchmen.

Lanny and SIeepwalker like this.