World Cup

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Agent Zero, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Agent Zero

Agent Zero BBW Member

^ That was a great game... I'm glad Argentina won though.

2. GotSkillz92

GotSkillz92 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chang @ Jun 24 2006, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Unless at least hundreds of millions of Europeans/Mexicans/Africans/Brazilians/Asians come over, I don't see it realistically happening.Europeans consider themselves superior to America and already have the top soccer leagues in the world so why would they move over here. Now that the border is tightening (for now and probably forever if things in Congress fall into place like Bush wants), we won't get as many illegal Mexican immigrants that we are deporting anyway. There was never a real high immigration rate of Brazilians (except supermodels!) and I don't see it happening unless something terrible happens in their country and Asians have always been more of a basketball country hence their obsession with MJ, Kobe, and LeBron.BUT, if Team USA wants the country to pay more attention to soccer, they need to beat Brazil in the World Cup on American soil kinda like the "Miracle" hockey team that beat the Soviet Union at Lake Placid.</div>Why dont u name the whole world cuz thats what you just said. And you can add colombia, costa rica, argentina, uruguay, paraguay, ecuador, chile, peru, all the countries in central america. Plus all of these races are already in the US. Darwins theory of evolution will occur when offsprings are produced from all the mixed cultures in the world. Everyone in the world loves soccer and its unevitable until the US likes it. And im not talking about the players moving here. regular civilians wont stay in europe simply because they have a better soccer team lol. Asians and basketball? Asians are more interested in soccer and baseball than basketball. There's only like 1 or 2 asians in the NBA. you think that because of all the screaming Yao fans. Asians won the WBC. I doubt they would love the NBA more. Theres not a reason to. And brazilians arent only soccer players and super models buddy.

3. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

No one in this country likes soccer. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :lol:We suck at it. I can't wait until the World Cup is over so I don't have to deal with my dad watching it in spanish and getting made at me for going GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!

4. GotSkillz92

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrianUrlacher54 @ Jun 24 2006, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>No one in this country likes soccer. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :lol:We suck at it. I can't wait until the World Cup is over so I don't have to deal with my dad watching it in spanish and getting made at me for going GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!</div>ok im tired of explaining things to you. i dont care if you like soccer or not. Im trying to explain that eventually america will like soccer more. Its the same thing with basketball in spanish countries. People are starting to like it more than they use to before. And thats with their favorite sports being either soccer or baseball.

5. david81

david81 BBW Member

Soccer is the most popular sport for the youth in America, its a fact. Wonder why USA still sucks when alot of kids play it their whole lives here.

6. GotSkillz92

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (david81 @ Jun 24 2006, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Soccer is the most popular sport for the youth in America, its a fact. Wonder why USA still sucks when alot of kids play it their whole lives here.</div>Are you sure bout that? I couldve sworn it was basketball since theyre are hoops everywhere and it doesnt take as much money to play as other sports.

7. david81

david81 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GotSkillz52 @ Jun 24 2006, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (david81 @ Jun 24 2006, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Soccer is the most popular sport for the youth in America, its a fact. Wonder why USA still sucks when alot of kids play it their whole lives here.</div>Are you sure bout that? I couldve sworn it was basketball since theyre are hoops everywhere and it doesnt take as much money to play as other sports.</div>Yes suh Im sure, I played it when I was younger. I remember reading it a few times.

8. chang

chang NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GotSkillz52 @ Jun 24 2006, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chang @ Jun 24 2006, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Unless at least hundreds of millions of Europeans/Mexicans/Africans/Brazilians/Asians come over, I don't see it realistically happening.Europeans consider themselves superior to America and already have the top soccer leagues in the world so why would they move over here. Now that the border is tightening (for now and probably forever if things in Congress fall into place like Bush wants), we won't get as many illegal Mexican immigrants that we are deporting anyway. There was never a real high immigration rate of Brazilians (except supermodels!) and I don't see it happening unless something terrible happens in their country and Asians have always been more of a basketball country hence their obsession with MJ, Kobe, and LeBron.BUT, if Team USA wants the country to pay more attention to soccer, they need to beat Brazil in the World Cup on American soil kinda like the "Miracle" hockey team that beat the Soviet Union at Lake Placid.</div>Why dont u name the whole world cuz thats what you just said. And you can add colombia, costa rica, argentina, uruguay, paraguay, ecuador, chile, peru, all the countries in central america. Plus all of these races are already in the US. Darwins theory of evolution will occur when offsprings are produced from all the mixed cultures in the world. Everyone in the world loves soccer and its unevitable until the US likes it. And im not talking about the players moving here. regular civilians wont stay in europe simply because they have a better soccer team lol. Asians and basketball? Asians are more interested in soccer and baseball than basketball. There's only like 1 or 2 asians in the NBA. you think that because of all the screaming Yao fans. Asians won the WBC. I doubt they would love the NBA more. Theres not a reason to. And brazilians arent only soccer players and super models buddy.</div>You know nothing about Darwin's theory of evolution. Darwin's theory of evolution means natural selection, survival of the fittest, and adaptation. Darwin says that animals adapt to their environment and change their DNA to survive. The only application of Darwin to humans is that we evovled from monkeys and have made outselves smarter and better to be the top of the food chain. It has nothing to do with making offspring. Soccer sure as hell isn't a product of survival of the fittest.Yes, the US is considered a melting pot but we are still a good 70% (last census in 2000), white and around 13% African-American. Now, I'm not going to go around saying every white person or black person doesn't like soccer, but 90% of those people aren't a regular fan of soccer I bet. Now think about what white kids and black kids play since they constitute roughly 85% of the nation's population. What sport do a lot of white kids play? BASEBALL, most of my little league team was white, in fact, me and 1 black kid were the only non-white people. What sport do a lot of black kids play? BASKETBALL (my entire basketball team was black besides 3 players) and FOOTBALL. Hell, even take pro sports. Take away the recent Latin American immigrants from baseball. You get mostly white players (look at the WBC team). Now look at basketball and soccer, you can count on one hand how many white superstars there have been in the past 25 years not including international players. Really, only African immigrants (I know quite a few of them) and Mexican immigrants are really into soccer because they watched/played it in their motherland.This isn't late 1800-early 1900s anymore. There aren't huge waves of immigration of Europeans anymore. Are there European immigrants? Sure, but Europe has improved greatly over the past few decades most recently with the fall of the Berlin Wall.Have you ever been to Asia? I've travelled and vacationed in China, Japan, and Taiwan. From what I've seen in parks, schools, and building tops (yes, Japan and Taiwan have courts on the rooftops) more people play and pay attention to basketball (China) and baseball (more Japan with Ichiro, Hideki and their Japan Baseball League and Taiwan with Chien-Mien Wang, Chin-Hui Tsao and Taiwan Basbeall League). I didn't say a thing about Yao. Yeah, they love Yao but China is stuck on Michael Jordan still and now it's LeBron, Kobe, T-Mac. Wade has probably joined the gang too. There are more basketball courts in Japan and Taiwan cause they're smaller where land is scarce. They have a few soccer fields but definately hundreds more basketball courts. Asian countries even have a Asian Basketball Classic, I would know cause I was in Taiwan last summer. I have never seen in my life Asians playing soccer besides in the World Cup. In Japan, they have after school clubs but the soccer team of the school I visited after practice even said themselves that soccer isn't as popular as baseball where Japan had major success or basketball where the first Japanese player entered the NBA in 5'8" (average for an Asian) Yuta Tabuse. Taiwan loves the New York Yankees, mainly because of Chien-Mien Wang. China has Yao in the NBA like you said. Yao is a national hero. There's no famous Asian in any soccer league (I mean big names like Ronaldinho, Beckham, Ronaldo). They have no role model or national hero that kids want to emulate.Why is soccer so popular as a little league sport? I honestly don't know but when you look in high schools, there sure aren't the hundreds of kids lining up to play soccer. Movies always talk about taking their kids to the soccer game and of course the stereotypical "soccer mom".And just cause most of Team USA is white doesn't mean that a bunch of white people play soccer. It's far from it.Are there people that break the generalization? Of course but thats hardly a big enough group to say America is or will be a soccer country in the near future.

9. chang

I would say...in order of popularityYoung age:Soccer, baseball, basketball, footballAbout 7:Baseball, basketball, soccer, footballAbout 10:Baseball, basketball, football, soccerAbout 13:Basketball, football, baseball, soccerVirtually around 13, the 1st 3 are in a tie.I think a reason soccer could be popular for little children is because it's so easy to play. All you need to be able to do is run. Basketball, the ball is a bit heavy young and hitting jump shots isn't so easy. Football, parents probably don't want their kid hurt on the field. Baseball, you can get major injuries? lol

10. david81

david81 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chang @ Jun 24 2006, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Why is soccer so popular as a little league sport? I honestly don't know but when you look in high schools, there sure aren't the hundreds of kids lining up to play soccer. Movies always talk about taking their kids to the soccer game and of course the stereotypical "soccer mom".And just cause most of Team USA is white doesn't mean that a bunch of white people play soccer. It's far from it.Are there people that break the generalization? Of course but thats hardly a big enough group to say America is or will be a soccer country in the near future.</div>Yes they do, its not far from it at all [​IMG]

11. DevinHester23

DevinHester23 NFLC nflcentral.net Member

When I was growing up I played basketball b/c I wanted to and my parents let me and soccer b/c my parents forced me to and wouldn't let me play baseball until I was 11. When you're forced to play a sport and not given a choice, it kind of plants a distaste for the sport other than the stimuli you get when watching it on TV (the gooooooooooooooooooooool in spanish)

12. Nebkreb

Nebkreb NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GotSkillz52 @ Jun 24 2006, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BrianUrlacher54 @ Jun 24 2006, 01:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chang @ Jun 24 2006, 10:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Unless we win a World Cup which won't happen in the next 40 years, America as a whole will never like soccer.No matter what football, basketball, and baseball will always be more popular. Hell, even hockey is most likely more popular than soccer.And with a performance like this in this World Cup, casual fans have lost more interest in Team USA soccer.</div>No one in this country likes soccer, not even when the woman won the 1999 World Cup.</div>America will like Soccer with the income of immigrants from all over the world that do like soccer. Darwin's theory of revolution.</div>buddy, Darwins theory of evolution. revolutuion is someone else, most likely Karl Marx. anywayeven though we lost early on, America was morein to this World Cup than any in World history. the ratings were the highest ever, it was teh first time that all 62 games are available on basic cable (combo of ESPN, ESPN2, ABC) and according to many eyewitnesses, the American fan base ibn Germany was just as large as any besides the host nation.America is getting more in to soccer, but this just wasnt our year

13. GotSkillz92

Yea evolution same thing. Im not going to read any of that long ass paragraph because 1. im tired and 2. it probably states the same thing i already argued with. As nekreb stated USA is getting more interested. Its eventually going to happen. I never stated about immigrants coming in. There already are enough people in america of different cultures. Eventually the minorities will became a majority. I used darwin's theory because you can relate it to this. Think about it and you can. O and just because you went to Asia doesnt mean you saw everything. Theres millions and millions of asians. one part isnt going to be like the rest.

14. chang

You DON'T understand Darwin's theory of evolution AT ALL. You must have had a really really bad teacher or you just can't grasp the ideas of natural selection and survival of the fittest.Of course, unless you're saying, by applying natural selection, "liking soccer" is a favorable trait and the people with that trait are the ones that have the greatest chance of survival and the people without the trait have a greater chance to die because "predators" can spot them out. Survival of the fittest doesn't apply either when there isn't widespread cannibalism/domestic warfare in the US so the minority (which like soccer) will never wipe out the majority (who don't like soccer).I assume you think that it's all about how humans learn and adjust which is more Thomas Hobbes and John Locke, which is philosophy. But even then, it's an incredible stretch.Let me break down the minorities for you percentage wise in approximation.Majority - 65% WhiteMinorities - 15% Hispanic, 15% Black, 5% Pacific Islander/Asian, and sprinkle in some Native AmericansUnless the minority has a lot of babies (I'm talking 10 per couple) and life expectancy increases considerably (to around 100), it's mathmatically impossible for minorities as a whole to become the majority.You might be right, soccer will eventually become a popular sport but you can't use population and Darwinism to support your claims.

15. david81

david81 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chang @ Jun 25 2006, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You might be right, soccer will eventually become a popular sport but you can't use population and Darwinism to support your claims.</div>Well it already is in youth. So you must mean to older Americans. It never will be if you mean American Soccer will, well cuz American Soccer sucks. The reason people lose interest in the sport as they get older is cuz the only way they can watch an enjoyable game is by watching the European or Latin leagues.

16. Capt. Comeback

Capt. Comeback NFLC nflcentral.net Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (david81 @ Jun 25 2006, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well it already is in youth. So you must mean to older Americans. It never will be if you mean American Soccer will, well cuz American Soccer sucks. The reason people lose interest in the sport as they get older is cuz the only way they can watch an enjoyable game is by watching the European or Latin leagues.</div>You live in America. At least support your fucking country.And no, soccer is not the most popular sport for youth. I know nobody in high school, besides all the hispanics and an exception of a few whites, that like soccer. Everyone likes basketball, football, or baseball, as Chang already said.

17. david81

david81 BBW Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Capt. Comeback @ Jun 25 2006, 05:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (david81 @ Jun 25 2006, 12:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Well it already is in youth. So you must mean to older Americans. It never will be if you mean American Soccer will, well cuz American Soccer sucks. The reason people lose interest in the sport as they get older is cuz the only way they can watch an enjoyable game is by watching the European or Latin leagues.</div>You live in America. At least support your fucking country.I know nobody in high school, besides all the hispanics and an exception of a few whites, that like soccer. Everyone likes basketball, football, or baseball, as Chang already said.</div>Im not gonna be a fuckin homer and lie about American Soccer and say it doesnt suck when it really does.Oh and go seach on google: most popular sport to american youth?Click on the 2nd one [​IMG]

18. GotSkillz92

You guys just dont get it.

19. MLibid

MLibid BBW Member

Watch the language, guys.. Let's have a discussion, not an argument.Plus, you're an idiot if you think that USA has one primary youth sport. [​IMG]

20. Nebkreb

Nebkreb NFLC nflcentral.net Member

there is always more than one sport that people love. Will soccer ever surpass the big 3 (baseball, basketball and football)? doubtful. But will it reach, say hockey or golf? very possible.