Worst contracts in the league

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

Huh? Mike Conley is sick. Plays great defense, great passer and is pretty efficient plus he's had solid playoff success

2. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Doesn't matter. When you are being paid the most in the league you better be a top ten in the league or its a bad contract.

PDXFonz likes this.
  3. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    My take is our 6th man is making ~1/6th of the payroll. He's making 3/4 of what Dame is, about $6M difference. Turner makes $2M less.

illmatic99 likes this.
  4. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

5 yrs, 85. Not nearly as bad

BonesJones likes this.
  5. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

So $17M a year. He's wayy better than Crabbe though. If Orlando wants picks I'd do that swap.

6. Five Second Violation

Five Second Violation Well-Known Member

Definitely dodged a massive bullet with Parsons. His knees are getting to Brandon Roy territory.

Tunchi and PDXFonz like this.
  7. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

It sort of makes you think, there had to be a better way to phase in the new contracts... I know the player's union was against a true phasing in, but thinking out of the box, something like signing free agents to the old cap rules then giving everyone a 34% (the amount the cap went up this year) raise. That would keep things from being so incredibly out of whack for a couple years.

8. Charcoal Filtered

Charcoal Filtered Writing Team

The owners were offering a lame way to phase in the salary increases. It made little sense for the players. They could have offered something better but doubt it would have worked out as nicely for the players.

9. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

He's not sick, he's injured - again.

Honestly, I feel sorry for Conley. I've always liked him as a player, but he seems to always have some sort of freak injury. He was actually having a great year prior to this latest injury. I hope he suffers no long term limitations due to this injury.

BNM

10. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    I'm not sure about that.

My sense is the cap and LT threshold are so much bigger than many are used to that the big contract amounts seem like overpaying when it's in line.

If anything, we're really limited by having two Rose Rule type players next season. Trading for Noel who's going to maybe get that kind of offer, too, may not be so great.

11. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

Guys are being paid far more than they're worth this year. It'll take a couple years as more players cycle through the new contracts, and especially more better players, before this year's contracts normalize. What I proposed would have normalized everyone right off the bat, keeping contracts in line with players' ability. Most teams have a role player being paid like a super star this year.

12. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

Mike Conley is a top 5 pg in the NBA easily.
    Unfortunately for the past couple years he's been just like Anthony Davis in terms of availability.

Denny Crane likes this.
  13. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Curry, Harden, Westbrook, CP3...Conley?

14. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I really like CP3 when he's playing basketball. The "extra stuff" he does on the court I dislike. Always have from his nut punching days in college.
    But I can't put CP3 in the top 5 point guard list anymore, he's injury prone and has had a ton of talent around him his entire career. Yet he's had so little playoff success. Winning in the playoffs matters.

Top 5 point guards if the playoffs started right now, due to past playoff success.(and everyone was healthy)
    Westbrick, Curry, Conley, Lillard, Parker.
    (Irving doesn't make this list, because I'm not entirely positive the Cavs make the playoffs yet in his career without LBJ returning)

Top 5 point guards for the season so far.
    Westbrick, Harden, Curry, Conley, Lillard.
    However due to injuries Conley will fall off this list due to being out indefinitely.
    Most-likely replaced by CP3 until he gets hurt as well.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
    Darkwebs likes this.
  15. riverman

riverman Writing Team

I hate to say it given he's just had a couple of good games but Wes Mathews belongs on the list...so I guess this list has guys who teams could swap bad deals since they already have one

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  16. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

PG yes. But top 10 player in the league? Not in my opinion. Not worth the money. Bad contract.

17. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

Signing both Turner and Crabbe to huge contracts was a very bad business decision, for a lot of reasons.

Olshey should have let the Nets munch on Crabbe’s PPP contract. Even if Crabbe does develop into a starter, he is a role player. His contract is too rich for what he can contribute, even if he reaches his ceiling.

When you are working within a budget, giving such a high % of that budget to role players and average starters is going to limit who you can sign in the future.

I would much rather have the cap space than Crabbe and his contract. The use it or lose it mentality is BS. We gained nothing by using that cap space this season. However, we could have used that cap space next season to sign a center. Either re-signing Plumlee, or, a C we trade for.

Crabbe does not have any trade value to help us make that trade for a center. In reality, Crabbe has negative trade value and reduces our chances of trading for one.

Turner’s signing was not as bad. He is a more complete player than Crabbe ever will be. However, at this time, I do not believe his trade value is very high due to the size of his contract. He probably will have more trade value in a year or two, which makes overpaying him now easier to swallow.

Crabbe’s contract is going to haunt the Blazers until it ends, or Olshey can pay some team to take him off of our hands.

BBert likes this.
  18. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Actually, that's the issue - even if we hadn't matched on Crabbe we wouldn't have cap space to use next summer. That's why we matched - better to have an asset (even a negative asset) than no asset at all...or so the thinking goes.

I do agree with you that it's unlikely he could ever live up to his contract given his role with the team and the limited nature of his game. I'm not in favor of the Crabbe signing. However, it's not keeping us from signing other players so it really only hurts Paul, not the Blazers.

Denny Crane, BBert and PtldPlatypus like this.
  19. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

Yes, and no. You are correct, C.J.'s extension will put us over the cap going forward, even without the Crabbe contract. So, we didn't lose any cap space by matching BRK's ridiculous offer sheet to Crabbe.

However, in doing so, it puts us right up against the luxury tax threshold (within $26.5k), which severely limits our future roster flexibility. For example, it will impact our ability to re-sign Plumlee. We may be faced with either losing him for nothing, or a huge luxury tax payout over the next several years. And, if it comes down to letting Plumlee walk for nothing, we will have the Crabbe contract to thank for that.

Right now, we can't even sign a player to the vet min without going over the luxury tax threshold. So yeah, it does impact future roster moves and flexibility.

BNM

20. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

I agree with you to a point.
    With or without signing Crabbe, we will not have the cap space to sign a FA next season.

However, since we can re-sign our own RFAs, such as Plumlee or one we trade for before the deadline, such as Noel. With Crabbe’s contract, re-signing a RFA will put us that much deeper into the luxury tax.

Example:
    Right now the Blazers are sitting right on, or over the projected luxury tax for next season (17/18), with only 11 guaranteed contracts. They still have 4 roster spots to fill.

Crabbe’s contract will be for $18 million (rounded)
    The 1st $5 million will generate $7.5 million in luxury tax. = $12.5 million
    The 2nd $5 million will generate $8.75 million in luxury tax. = $13.75 million
    The 3rd $5 million will generate $12.5 million in luxury tax. = $17.5 million
    The last 3 million will generate $9.75 million in Luxury tax. = $12.75 million

Crabbe’s contract will cost the luxury tax paying Blazers $56.5 million for the 17/18 season. The next season, he gets even more expensive when the repeater tax kicks in.

That is bad business in my book.

Boob-No-More likes this.