Worst play in our arsenal

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Binx, Apr 16, 2018.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

We need more than back cuts. We need weakside back screens after ball movement flips the court. Dame at the top swinging to the wing before going into a UCLA screen where the big pops and gets a reversal to Dame who receives A UCLA cut which runs into a curl for the weakside wing that just swung the ball. Id love to see CJ/Dame trail each other around a pin down with the 1st guy popping and the 2nd guy curling... We also don't run cross screens to get Nurk low post position. Dame/CJ could receive a pin down for a curl after cross screening for Nurk... That's be deadly interior action that would get better shots than only jumpshots

2. Binx

Binx Well-Known Member

Wrong. I’m talking about the play where Lillard or McCollum stands at the top of the key and throws the ball just over the heads of the defenders to a moving player. I’ve seen that pass intercepted several times this year. You can have a great passing offense and never throw that particular pass.

3. Binx

Binx Well-Known Member

Uh, no. The play I’m talking about is not a quick hitter. You can see it coming from a mile away.

4. riverman

riverman Writing Team

if those passes get picked off they're either thrown incorrectly or more than likely without enough zip ...we steal passes as well...it's a part of the game..win some lose some...I don't connect with your original post about it never working though...bounce passes in traffic are common plays and they also get picked off...point being...good defenders can steal passes

BonesJones likes this.
  5. rotary111

rotary111 Well-Known Member

Real Estate.

If I understand the OP (@Binx ) correctly it's at the 3:22 mark-ish in this video. ???

The Fist motion flip or a version of it. CJ caught it out high enough on that particular play though. If he keeps going another 5 ft around the arc Dame has to make a perfect pass over or through 2 defenders. If he keeps going around the arc Dame can lob it up and over because the defenders are spread out farther. It seems like it was picked a couple of times last game....then again what wasn't. Every team knows what the other is going to run. It's about execution now.

riverman likes this.
  6. BonesJones

.... Find a clip. You explained that it had two passes. Thats a quick hitter. The play in the video provided is a quick hitter, even if you think it's predictable. It takes 5 seconds.

7. BonesJones

It's about using a cut to exploit the defense. If the defemse goes over, turn it into a rim cut. If they go under, pop. If neither is there, go to the next option, don't force the pass.

AFully22 and rotary111 like this.
  8. BonesJones

Exactly. A turnover out of a set play doesn't neccesarily mean it's a bad set, just that it wasn't executed well. That CJ pitch and flair take 5 seconds..

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    dviss1 likes this.
  9. BonesJones

The pass shouldnt be over the heads unless there's enough seperation. It's not a bad play if they force a pass they shouldnt.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
    riverman and rotary111 like this.
  10. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Mason Plumlee was an exceptional passer when he was in Stotts system...it's a skill.....Andre Miller was the last great passing pt guard I can remember..Dame and CJ have improved but still aren't elite passers....Dame is closer...Nurk could be..he has moments...Meyers actually passes well as does Pat...just no Rubio or Steve Nash on the team so far....Rondo is an amazing passer...so are Westbrook and Curry

HailBlazers and BonesJones like this.
  11. BonesJones

Curry is an amazing passer? He's no better than Dame..

stampedehero likes this.
  12. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    aka....old Pete Carrill-- Princeton?

dviss1 likes this.
  13. stampedehero

stampedehero Make Your Day, a Doobies Day Staff Member Moderator

Part Time Building Inspector
    Also. I was surprised to see Harden pin point his passing skills (as long as he can stick his elbow into an opponents chest) or fake fall.

Lanny likes this.
  14. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

It's a half court set. Exactly what kind of "Quick Hitter" are you looking for?

15. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

Several means 3. So out of the thousands of times we've ran the play, you've seen several turnovers. You've actually just made a case FOR the efficiency of that play.

16. dviss1

dviss1 Emcee Referee

You're wrong. It's a great play.

/thread

17. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Basketball is a pretty simple game. I hate to back Terry because I think he's growing stale, but there's no need to have all these complicated plays that are impossible to execute. What matters more is that the talent on the floor can actually execute and make smart decisions-- I don't think we necessarily have that.

Terry let Evan Turner make crucial decisions too often in game 1. ET for some reason has this reputation as a high IQ player, I just don't get why.

tester551 likes this.
  18. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

It doesn't need to be overly complicated, but the moment a play starts we all know what the intention is. I merely posit that we should have some secondary action to make the defense guess as to where the ball is going. Players who aren't involved with the primary action - at best - lazily shift their positions. Rather than standing still (or maybe jogging to the weak side) when CJ is running off the flare screen, the other two players who aren't Dame/CJ/Screen could set a screen for a hard cut as a secondary option. But all too often everyone stands and ball-watches.

tester551 likes this.
  19. BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94

BlazerDuckSeahawkFan94 AWOL

The worst play in our arsenal is the Napier special, where he drives under rim, pops back out without passing and ISOs into a 18 foot contested jumper.

BonesJones likes this.
  20. riverman

riverman Writing Team

His lobs and passes in the paint are awesome...he finds cutters and has zip on his pass but hey....I'm not going to debate it...it's what I see him do on the court..he is a big reason his teammates put up big numbers...he also turns the ball over...so did Nash...most guards threading the needle are going to have some turn overs