Would drafting Kris Dunn mean the end of Ricky Rubio in a Wolves jersey?

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by truebluefan, Jun 15, 2016.

1. truebluefan

truebluefan Administrator Staff Member Administrator

As momentum gains on the rumor that Minnesota favors Providence guard Kris Dunn in this draft - and vice versa - the question of Ricky Rubio's future with the team has never loomed larger.

I've been avoiding his conversation for close to three weeks now because, quite frankly, I don't like the way I think it's going to end. But I also think it's something we can't avoid anymore. It's time we had this chat.

This all started with an early report from Woj (of course) that Kris Dunn, or at least someone in Kris Dunn's camp, doesn't want him to be drafted by a team with an established point guard - namely, Boston at #3 or Phoenix at #4. That report has been scoured and sourced and confirmed as accurate, down to the letter, by basically everyone with any power to ask.

I find it pretty much impossible to buy that Dunn has some debilitating personal issue with Eric Bledsoe or Brandon Knight or Isaiah Thomas or Marcus Smart. And while I can see and even sympathize with wanting to avoid the Suns after their front office apparently mistook "basketball team" for "three-ring circus" last season, the Celtics are a tight ship that's already making the playoffs. "Avoid the crazy" isn't a common denominator here.

So I'd say it's safe to assume his issue is he doesn't want to be a backup. Which, seeing as how the Wolves are clearly not on his "nope" list, raises a $13.4 million question.

- See more at: http://www.canishoopus.com/2016/6/6...-dunn-mean-the-end-of-ricky-rubio-in-a-wolves