Would the Jazz Take Bogut?

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by Stockton, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Stockton

Stockton JBB

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Cavalier fans wore every lucky garment and good-fortune trinket they could think of. The newspaper ran a full-page photo, urging the city to "Think LeBron." Even the mayor called to wish the team luck.
    The possibility of selecting the hometown hero with the No. 1 pick two years ago electrified Cleveland on lottery day, and when the ping-pong balls cooperated, keeping Akron native LeBron James close to home, the Cavs set a record for one-day season ticket sales.
    Now the Jazz are in a similar circumstance, with a reasonable shot at winning the right to select a player who has earned national acclaim just a couple of miles from the Delta Center. It will likely take about an 8-to-1 jackpot in next month's lottery, but the Jazz could find themselves able to keep Andrew Bogut in Utah.
    But should they? </div>

<div align="center">Link</div>

2. shankyoass

shankyoass Ceci n'est pas une pipe.

isnt bogut gonna go @ #1 most likely? i doubt utah will get the #1 pick

3. CUSA Fan

CUSA Fan JBB JustBBall Member

Exactly. There is a small chance of the Jazz getting the number one pick. Basically, if they don't get the number one pick, their is almost no hope of them drafting Bogut. He will go #1 no doubt in my mind. He's just too good to pass up.

4. spark22

spark22 JBB JustBBall MVP

I think they would if they could, who wouldn't? Even though they have Boozer and Okur playing down-low, I think the Jazz really want a steady low-post player to go with Boozer and bring Okur off the bench as a Thurl Baliey type of player. But I really hope we could get a good point guard out of the draft, someone who will last for 19 season would be nice. I just hope whoever we draft, they will be healthy for their career.

5. JWohl

JWohl JBB Lovin the BCS

naw

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CUSA Fan:</div><div class="quote_post">Exactly. There is a small chance of the Jazz getting the number one pick. Basically, if they don't get the number one pick, their is almost no hope of them drafting Bogut. He will go #1 no doubt in my mind. He's just too good to pass up.</div>
    Its based on need not sole talent. Like the hawks for example wouldnt want Bogut because they are trying to run a funball team with childress, harrington and j. smith so he wouldnt fit with their style. The hawks would either trade the number one pick if they get it or take a PG most likely. This thread is pointless because the Jazz probably wont get the number 1 pick.

6. Stockton

Stockton JBB

The Jazz are likely to have the 4th best chance at winning the lottery. Obviously a team is going to win the lottery, and considering the team with the worst record has just a 1 in 4 chance of winning the lottery, it could very well be Utah who wins it. If Utah don't win the lottery, they can still get Bogut even if he is taken with the 1st pick through trade. They will have their own pick, the Mavs' first round pick for this draft (Podkolzine trade), the Pistons' 06 first round pick (Arroyo trade) and a future Knicks' first round pick via Phoenix (Guggliotta trade). That's 4 first round picks, and they also have second round picks. With all those picks, and their own players, they should be able to get Bogut if they really wanted.

However, despite the credientals of Bogut, Utah don't really need another big man. Mehmet Okur and Carlos Boozer were both given large contracts during the previous offseason, because Kevin O'Connor thought they will be the PF and C of the future for the Jazz. Drafting Bogut would cut into their minutes, and Bogut may not get the minutes he deserves, creating an unnecessary logjam, and not addressing Utah's biggest issue.
    The biggest issue for Utah is Point Guard. Their starter, Keith McLeod, averages just 8.0 PPG and 4.6 APG. This isn't good enough for a starter. Raul Lopez is often injured, and it is very risky to rely on him. Howard Eisley and Randy Livingston just aren't that good, and are bench players at best. Utah needs to get a true starter at Point Guard for the future, and the draft is a great way to do this.

As much as Utah would like to draft Bogut, there are more important matters, such as Point Guard, to be addressed.