Would you trade Ellis for Granger?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Warriorfansnc93, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

They have similar stats. I think Ellis is a great player as is Granger so if anything at least we would get bigger. Comparisons are made to Pippen. Personally I think at best Ellis could be like Arenas or Iverson. Who would you rather have at this point? I gotta say if we could do this trade straight up I would, but obviously the salaries dont match. Maybe we could inlclude Ellis for a JO and Granger trade...

2. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

3. Ryan

Ryan BBW Member

I wouldn't do this either. Granger hasn't been getting quite as many minutes as Monta but he's still getting 30 a game and his numbers really aren't that impressive. I like Granger and think we should have taken him over Ike but I don't think he'll ever be a star. I think his potential is what Dunleavy should have been, a very solid role player who can do quite a few things. Monta, on the other hand, has a lot more risk/reward. He may not be able to adjust to defenses keying on him making him useless as an undersized 2, but if he can make the proper adjustments, he can be great. After 12 years of medoicrity, I at least want a shot at greatness.

4. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

Granger seems like a really good role player, but I don't think he's star material over Ellis.

5. AnimeFANatic

AnimeFANatic JBB JustBBall Member

Considering we could have gotten a player like A.I. if we traded Monta in a package... it really doesn't seem worth to trade Monta for Granger.

6. Custodianrules2

I can see now why Granger and Green both dropped down in the draft. Granger's more or less a role player right now, but he's got excellent athleticism for 6'8 player. Green, also a great athlete, isn't ready for the nba just yet despite more hops than T-mac and decent all-around skill. I think High schoolers are hit or miss, they either have it or they don't, but I'm glad Ellis has something to show in the nba despite having played in a weaker high school division.

Most of these star high school guys transfer to play at places like Oakhill Academy or something.

7. philsmith75

philsmith75 JBB JustBBall Member

No way. Granger is not even in the conversation. Monta has hit a lull but he's got star potential because of his exceptional quickness and ability to finish at the rim plus his cool demeanor. He's an untouchable as far as I'm concerned.

Granger is a 6'8" nice player but he's never going to dominate like Ellis. He's just not going to have the ball enough nor big enough to command the ball around the rim.

8. oaktank88

oaktank88 JBB JustBBall Member

I like granger, but no way do i trade away ellis' talent and potential for a solid role player.

9. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

Monta Ellis is, as Clyde Frazier would say, on the threshold of greatness. The precocious neophyte who made the quantum leap from high school to the pros, should not be traded for Granger. While I haven't checked him out this season, he seems to be the right type of player for Golden State in a couple of years. He's putting up a solid 17.4 points per game and shooting 48% from the field. Unlike players in his mold, he shoots a much higher percentage. Granger seems like he won't really have as a big a role on this team as he did in Indiana. You still have Mike Dunleavy, Troy Murphy, and probably Matt Barnes ahead of him at the forward minutes. Trading Ellis for Granger seems like a move to make a move, it's not really necessary at all.

10. Run BJM

Run BJM Heavy lies the crown. Staff Member Global Moderator

I definitely wouldn't trade them straight up. Granger, at 23-24 hasn't done anything in the NBA so far. If we HAD to trade Monta to get JO but we got Granger back I'd consider it, Granger is a nice young player and could be a good 4 in our system if he meets his potential.

11. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I'd rather trade JRich right now. It's a gamble. Some would call me crazy. But based on my own personal observations, and personal opinions, I've seen enough to take the chance and say Monta will be better -- and more versatile -- than JRich. I could be wrong. But that's me.

However, I wouldn't trade JRich for Granger straight up, lol. However I would do this:

Murphy/JRich/Pietrus for JO/Granger

12. Warriorfansnc93

I was just going to say, maybe Pietrus for Granger. Both probably have similar contracts...

13. Custodianrules2

Pietrus for Granger? Damn, I'd do that in an instant.

On paper, we get all the positives of Pietrus (athleticism, rebounding, shotblocking, some steals) and the versatility and all-around-ness of Dunleavy (but without the "suck" or the girly hair).

Yeah, sure he won't dominate, but as far as guard-like small forwards go, he's like having a type of Tayshaun Prince player. He can do a lot of things that are helpful and he's got a variety of moves. I'm not saying he will, but he could break out like Joe Johnson. Joe Johnson got moved around from everywhere it seems before he broke out. I was really rooting for that guy because he was a good example of a swingman that can do a lot of excellent things. I'm hoping the same for Granger.

14. Warriorfansnc93

<div class="quote_poster">custodianrules2 Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">Pietrus for Granger? Damn, I'd do that in an instant.

</div>

Yeah, I figure Pietrus will be a FA anyways so we might be able to get something for him and Granger is big. He is listed at 6'9" and Pietrus is at 6'6". I mean if Pietrus can play against Shawn Marion, this guy definately should be able to. Truth be told, I have never seen Granger even play, but I like what I have read about him (very limited). That includes him not starting anymore in Indy...[​IMG]

15. Custodianrules2

I think you'd like him if you like college ball. Against those college athletes, he was pretty good to warrant double/triple team respect and he played the point guard position some. I think he could play all four positions, although he didn't have a true position on his team.

Maybe Nelson could have him as his starting point forward, but I don't know how good his court sense and ballhandling is. I'm willing to bet maybe Dunleavy's is still probably better for 6'9-6'10 or else Granger would have gone higher in the draft like Dun and Joe Johnson did.

Scoring/ballhandling/passing threats always do. So maybe some teams and scouts felt this guy wasn't good enough to be build a team around, but maybe good enough to be sort of a Tayshaun Prince eventually.

Granger is also pretty smart too.

16. AlleyOop

AlleyOop JBB JustBBall Member

I've never been a fan of the "point-forward" concept -- I mean, yeah it's nifty, mr. big-man, if you can dribble and pass and all, but what the hell are you doin!?! Get your ass under the glass and grab some rebounds dude!! Let the fu*kin point guard dribble bro.

C'mon!

17. Custodianrules2

<div class="quote_poster">AlleyOop Wrote</div><div class="quote_post">I've never been a fan of the "point-forward" concept -- I mean, yeah it's nifty, mr. big-man, if you can dribble and pass and all, but what the hell are you doin!?! Get your ass under the glass and grab some rebounds dude!! Let the fu*kin point guard dribble bro.

C'mon!</div>

Well point power forwards, maybe, but typical point forwards are at the small forward position and are widely used by almost every nba team because it allows the two guards (whose main role is to operate as primary/secondary perimeter playmakers) score a lot more without having to take the ball with them.

Guys like Lebron James or Lamar Odom (when he was with Miami), can be helpful when the team doesn't have a good playmaking/shotcreating backcourt. In our case, we didn't have much of a team make-up going for us. No pure point setup guy (because of Gilbert Arenas as scorer) and we didn't have a traditional shooting guard like Penny Hardaway or Ray Allen (shoot, drive, pass). So, I think that's why Jamison fell out of favor at SF and Dunleavy was this special guy who was Jamison's size, but had more of a guard's game with the point guard unselfishness. Of course, it didn't work because the defensive matchups just don't cross over when we mix and match offensive roles. And then before we knw it, the teams over the years brought up speculation that the warriors general management knew how to collect talent, but either had no leverage to deal or no vision to build a real team with strong roles in each position.

When we go into "point power forwards", I think that's just ridiculously hard to find. Only a few players have that ability to be 6'10-7'0, 240 lb, 4 position playing SF/PF body type tweeners and be perennial all-stars. First off, to be a point power forward, a guy has to be a very good creator, very good rebounder and decent all-around skilled defensive player, and not be this guy who gets laid out by stronger players or burnt with quickness like other tweeners we know. Al Harrington, Jamison, Shareef, Dunleavy, Murphy, etc. People say Nowitzki sucks or is soft on defense, but at least he averages a block and a steal per game. That's better than somebody who is also considered soft, and averages way, way less.

Frankly, I think we need a point small forward and forget playing these guys who are too small to play a real power forward to try and do what Garnett, and Nowitzki can emulate. Even Lamar Odom might be a stretch. Antoine Walker doesn't count either. He's just overweight and lazy shot selection.

If we had point forward Lebron James that would rule. [​IMG] We missed the deepest draft in years by a year and the draft pick we actually wanted by two spots in 2002. Sucks! So we didn't get Yao, we didn't even get a chance to land a Bosh, Wade, Melo or even a Kirk Hinrich. The draft really has been our problem, hasn't it?