Would you want Shaq?

Discussion in 'Golden State Warriors' started by Warriorfansnc93, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Shaq will probably be traded this summer. He has 1 year left on his contract, then his huge salary would open the doors for free agency. What would you give for Shaq?

2. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

Of course I would want shaq he is the most dominating inside force in the league. True he is no were near as athletic as he once was, but he still kills any team inside one year would be basically all he needs to take any team and make them championship caliber hell if he goes to the clippers the clippers would become my second automatic favorite to win the title firs tbeing my team the t-wolves of course.

In the end I guess it all depends how much money your team has he is current being payed 30 something million on his deal. The reason he requested a trade was in part cause of kobe and in par tbecause he wanted a new contract that would pay him 60 million dollars. So if you are willing to pay him 60 million for the most dominate player in the league I would sign or try and trade for him in a sec.

Plus he would free stuff up for your other players like since were in the warriors forum I will use j-rich as an example right now he is known most as a dunker with shaq on the team he would draw a ton of double teams freeing up j-rich for wide open shots extending his game another level.

3. Rudeezy

Rudeezy JBB Senior *********

Like Pure Skillz stated, Shaq is still the most dominating player in the NBA, when he wants to be. If Shaq came here than other big time players would also want to come here. It would open a lot of doors for the Warriors. How likely is it that this would happen? I'm guessing slim to none.

4. sactomofo

sactomofo BBW Member

I would love to have Shaq as a member of the Warriors, however, if getting him means selling off the entire future of the franchise, then i don't think that it is worth it.

5. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

I feel you'd lose a large fanbase if you were to get Shaq, in the sense you'd probably have to give up a few of the fan favorites down here. More particularly, possibly J-Rich. I know he'd bring a better defensive and rebounding presence in comparison, but his athleticism wins fans, so that might be a factor as to whether you want him.

I'd toss in NVE in as well, he does well for us, but I think he's quite expendable on the roster. As much as I like them, you might also consider Foyle and Dunleavy, although they play great for you. 2-3 players at most, otherwise you'd be losing out big time.

6. Casske

Casske JBB JustBBall Member

I wouldn't want him. Gut reaction. I'm one of the people who have always felt Shaq's abilities are the result of extremely generous officiating, the ability to change his pivot foot at will, so on and so forth. If I were looking to trade for a center, I'd be trying to land Theo Ratliff, or just keep Foyle. The Warriors have player with enough offensive talent to warrant a merely good rebounding/defensive center. With the athleticism we have at our guards, Shaq wouldn't fit in, and he's annoying anyways.

7. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Magic Johnson:</div><div class="quote_post">I feel you'd lose a large fanbase if you were to get Shaq, in the sense you'd probably have to give up a few of the fan favorites down here. More particularly, possibly J-Rich. I know he'd bring a better defensive and rebounding presence in comparison, but his athleticism wins fans, so that might be a factor as to whether you want him.</div>If anything, we would attract more fans. People would go to the Arena to watch the most dominating Center of our era. Plus it would put the Warriors into the playoffs, which these fans have been waiting for for over a decade.

8. Custodianrules2

Custodianrules2 Cohan + Rowell = Suck

I'd say yes to Shaq. He has an enormous ego which I hate. But we need a damn good center and he's the best inside presence the warriors would get since Wilt Chamberlain. Plus it would help Dunleavy's and Murphy's game a lot. Can you imagine how many 3's and midrangers these guys could jack up with guards and forwards leaving him wide open to double team shaq. Plus Claxton has some great dribble penetration that can help clear the paint off to one side so he can dish the ball to the big man.

9. Custodianrules2

Jrich, Dampier, 11th round pick.

10. Rudeezy

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">Jrich, Dampier, 11th round pick.</div>Why would the Lakers want J-Rich if Kobe was still around? I think they might force us to substitute Claxton or Dunleavy or Murphy in there.

11. Custodianrules2

I wouldn't trade Murph and Jrich. One or the other but not both. I'd give up Dunleavy in a heartbeat.

12. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I don't think the Lakers would want J-Rich. If Shaq was on the blocks, it would mean that Kobe was returning to LA, and Richardson would not be needed. What I'd like to see is Dampier, Dunleavy and Murphy for Shaq. We could then have a lineup that is still deep and focused around Shaq.

C: O'Neal/Foyle(re-signed)/Robinson
    PF: Robinson/Cardinal/Foyle
    SF:Pietrus/Cardinal/Cheany
    SG:Richardson/Pietrus/Cheany
    PG:Claxton/another player through the draft or free agency

This team would be deep at every position, and can endure injuries to any starter other than Shaq. I'd expect them to have a 45 win season to say the least.

13. Custodianrules2

I was hoping we could keep Troy Murphy because his midranger and rebounding are excellent. What about Crob, NVE, Dampier and our draft pick. I figure the Lakers are in rebuilding mode and its best to drop off as much salary cap as they can to land a good free agent after next season. Crob and NVE come off the books next year I think and they are big salaries. Damp also can be kept and he'd be a solid center in offensive/defensive rebounding and blocked shots.

14. Trip

Student
    <div class="quote_poster">Quoting custodianrules2:</div><div class="quote_post">I was hoping we could keep Troy Murphy because his midranger and rebounding are excellent. What about Crob, NVE, Dampier and our draft pick. I figure the Lakers are in rebuilding mode and its best to drop off as much salary cap as they can to land a good free agent after next season. Crob and NVE come off the books next year I think and they are big salaries. Damp also can be kept and he'd be a solid center in offensive/defensive rebounding and blocked shots.</div>
    I personally don't think that would entice the Lakers, and would do even worse for the Warriors. The reason I left the pick out of my scenario was because with NVE gone, there would be a need for a backup PG to Claxton, and Johnson is too old to fill that role now. Thus, I was thinking the 11th pick would turn out to be someone like Jameer Nelson.

15. Custodianrules2

What about future first round picks? I mean I would at least like to keep murphy that's the bottom line.

At the 11th pick I wouldn't mind Jameer Nelson. I think he has a strong chance to go to the Warriors because his game is sort of like Tim Hardaways and kind of like Claxton's. We'll see what Mullin does.

16. Trip

Student
    Well, I'm not Mullin lol, don't keep persuading me to change the players involved in my fantasy scenarios. [​IMG]

I just made those up, it most likely won't happen anyways, loosen up man.

17. Custodianrules2

Yo I heard rumors that Shaq for Dampier sign and trade + filler + a draft pick or future draft picks. Probably not going to happen though.

18. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Rudeezy:</div><div class="quote_post">Like Pure Skillz stated, Shaq is still the most dominating player in the NBA, when he wants to be. If Shaq came here than other big time players would also want to come here. It would open a lot of doors for the Warriors. How likely is it that this would happen? I'm guessing slim to none.</div>

I've taken the liberty of putting the key phrase in this whole thread in bold type. If Shaq wanted to be, he'd be the MVP of the league every year. He should have been the league MVP every year the Lakers won a championship. The problem is that somewhere along the way he got bored, and I don't think he'll ever be inspired again, at least not for a whole season and post season.

A bigger problem is that he's 32 right now. David Robinson's production started to decline when he was 32 and really fell off by the time he was 35. Patrick Ewing's last good year happened when he was 35. Olajuwan's production dropped off at 34 and his last good year was when he was 36...see a pattern? Shaq has 3-4 years tops. After that he becomes a 35-40 mil a year anchor. As much as I love the Warriors young core, they aren't ready to win a championship in the next couple of years, no matter which of them aren't traded to the Lakers.

I would not want to have 30+ million in payroll tied up in Shaq when he's on the downside of his career, especially a few years from now when his body is really broken down and he's making nearly 40 mil a year. By the time the core guys are ready to make some noise, two things will have happened: 1) Shaq's skills will have declined enough that he's no longer the dominant force he once was and 2) Shaq's contract will have gotten so big that the Warriors will have had to get rid of a couple members of the core or else they'd be forced to have a 70+ mil payroll (and there's no way Cohen will pay 70 mil for any team, even if there were no luxury tax).

19. Warriorfansnc93

Warriorfansnc93 JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah, I agree with you walker. I would have loved to have Shaq when he went to the Lakers. But now that his contract is almost done, Shaq too, is almost done. IMO Shaq needs to go to a contender. Dont question Shaq's motivation though, I think he was the only one playing his hardest out there against the pistons.

20. wtwalker77

wtwalker77 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Warriorfansnc93:</div><div class="quote_post">Yeah, I agree with you walker. I would have loved to have Shaq when he went to the Lakers. But now that his contract is almost done, Shaq too, is almost done. IMO Shaq needs to go to a contender. Dont question Shaq's motivation though, I think he was the only one playing his hardest out there against the pistons.</div>

I absolutely question Shaq's motivation. True he played hard against the Pistons, but I don't remember the last time I saw him consitently motivated during the regular season. A veteran team may be able to deal with Shaq sleepwalking through the regular season and turning it on during the playoffs, but a young team couldn't.

The difference between Shaq's Lakers and Jodan's Bulls is that the Bulls knew how to play conservitively. They'd only play hard enough to win. Shaq either doesn't know how to do that or is incapable of doing it. Either way I don't see how Shaq would make the Warriors a championship contender.