Wrapping up 2011

Discussion in 'Oregon State Beavers' started by Targus, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    Ok. We're winding down now and OSU's season wraps up with two tough road games - Cal and Oregon - and UW at home.

I just don't see another win on the schedule -- leaving 2011 a 2-9 season.

Looking forward, there's some good news and bad news.

The good is the majority of the offense returns, but loses three starters on an already terrible OL. The defenses loses three key starts - leaders Frahm, Mitchell and Collins. (the depth chart I'm using is old and I understand underclassmen have gotten some time)

OSU's 2012 schedule opens with Nicholl's State. Good and bad news here. Nicholl's is 1-8 this year and should be a simple scrimmage-like WIN. But, if OSU loses this game, it sets a worse tone than the Sac St loss. Unfortunately, OSU's OOC schedule includes another Wisconsin and BYU matchup. Two tough games which this year were lost by a combine 45 points.

I was mocked for saying OSU would win 3 games this year. Unfortunately, I see the same issues next year - lack of talent and depth. I think OSU has the potential to get 4 wins in 2012 but they are going to need to make some serious changes. I'd say they have a slightly better than average recruiting class when comparing their current class to other Pac schools - and this talent usually takes min 2, usually 3 years to develop. But, it's far from enough to overcome current issues.

One startling stat is that of all conference losses, none have been closer than 8 points and the majority of conference losses have been 20+ points. That isn't solved in one off season - especially if the status quo is kept with the expectation of a new result.

OSU is nearly giving up twice as many TD's as they score. Their failure on the field isn't just an offensive issue (which is terrible). Consider the defense has given up 36 TD's, where .500 teams like Utah have given up 18 TD's - you can see OSU's issues aren't just with a near NCAA worst run attack, or Mannion's league leading 13 INTS - the issues are all across the board and aren't easily solved.

I personally don't know the answers. That's what OSU is supposed to be paying Riley for. But I do challenge OSU fans to not give up on the players. Next year looks pretty rough, guys. Not a flame and not a troll. Just a realist.

4 wins at best in 2012.

2. tlongII

tlongII Legendary Poster

Systems Analyst
    You could be right. But I think we'll get 6 wins. Injuries decimated us this season and I don't expect the same thing to happen next year. Our last couple of recruiting classes have been pretty good as well. The biggest question mark will be the O-line and that will be a problem.

3. Targus

Targus Suspended

Keeping you safe. If I tell you more, you would b
    Here's to 6 wins - and I hope you're right!