WTF is going on with Harkless

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by illmatic99, Nov 16, 2017.

1. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Is this a textbook case of a guy getting paid and completely stagnating in his development?

Getting absolutely nothing from him, and he's not even that engaged defensively. Hurd on the broadcast mentioned how Dame has been trying to look for him on offense apparently in an effort to keep him in the game. But I don't see it manifesting anywhere. He's always been inconsistent and appears apathetic, yet this is bad even for him.

Averaging just 7 pts, 4 rebs in 28 mins and his shot from everywhere is trash.

We need a replacement soon-- playing CJ at SF is not the solution.

BonesJones, Orion Bailey and BrunoSOC like this.
  2. julius

julius Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator

singer songwriter
    Maybe he wanted to go to New York and is phoning it in.

Or maybe he's just not that good.

3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I was a big fan of Harkless last season. This season, I've been pretty disappointed - I expected a lot more from him. I thought his floor would be Wilson Chandler - I still think that's his floor, but for whatever reason he's just dogging it. I wonder if the prolonged uncertainty of being dangled for Melo messed with his head? Whatever the case, there's no excusing it.

But honestly, it's another minor reason I want a new coach. I don't necessarily blame Stotts for Harkless' ineffectiveness, but I'd be interested in what a new coach might be able to do with him (and the rest of the team!).

roroyo, BonesJones and Eastoff like this.
  4. illmatic99

I thought his best comp was Trevor Ariza, a versatile defender who was money from the corners.

Harkless doesn't even shoot anymore.

5. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

He’s not a shooter or scorer. He’s a garbage/scrapping kind of guy. Defender/hustle kind of guy. What is he, the 4th option out there? He’s doing about whats expected in my eyes. Curious around the league, what the 4th option on teams number’s look like.

6. SynTax

SynTax Well-Known Member

He's just not a good offensive player and is losing confidence from bricking from everywhere. The guy knows his role. He's not Damian or Cj; he can't hoist shot after shot to break a slump. If the shot isn't going in, he stops shooting. His defense has been excellent, and he was a game high +13 last night. Hopefully the Blazers can continue to manufacture some easy offense for him and get his confidence up. His start to the year has been poor on the offensive side, but it's been that way for a number of our players. Hopefully they can all get things figured out.

7. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

So you wan't to change coaches because one player is playing below your expectations?
    There is a MELTDOWN thread that could use you.

Optimistic Bob and riverman like this.
  8. kjironman1

Last night the fourth option was Napier. Harkless was pretty much the glue guy and 5th option for that 3 guard unit. It seemed to work well and Harkless did get a couple looks on loose ball/put back type plays.

9. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Chief is the defensive captain of the team and Harkless plays better next to him....I think Chief gives him vocal direction on D but Mo isn't really involved in our offensive schemes....just wish he'd finish at the rim better in traffic...so far, he's a dunker if he scores

Optimistic Bob and kjironman1 like this.
  10. illmatic99

Here are the top 10 teams in the league by Net Rating. Picked the 4th highest scorer on each team.

GS- enough said

Bos- Tatum: 14/6/2
    Hou- Capela: 13/12/1/2
    Tor- Valanciunas: 12/7
    Det- Drummond: 14/16/1
    OKC- Adams: 12/8/1/2/1
    Was- Oubre: 11/6/1/1
    Mem- Brooks: 9/4 as a rookie second round pick
    Sas- Gasol: 11/8/4/1
    Lac- Gallo: 13/5/3

Harkless is worse than all these guys. He's not our 4th guy. He's maybe our 7th or 8th guy. He's not even a threat anymore so teams are just sagging off him like they do Noah. We go 3 on 5 on offense when they're on the floor together. If you want a look at why our offense looks so clunky this year, look no further than our offensively inept forwards. In the current NBA, you can maybe afford ONE negative on offense, can't take two.

BonesJones, tester551, julius and 4 others like this.
  11. THE HCP

THE HCP NorthEastPortland'sFinest

And THAT is exactly his game. Junk yard dog style. You will never run the offense thru him for sure. He’s just fine. We are seeing what his game really is. Quality role player. Every team needs that guy.

12. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Yeah, THAT'S what I said. My SOLE reason for wanting to change coaches is because Harkless is playing below my expectations. Yup.

13. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

Cool dude. Garbage player!

14. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

I agree every team needs role players, and that Harkless can be that type of role player. But Harkless could be used more effectively - or play more effectively than he has this season. He's great at cutting without the ball. I don't think that should be a staple of the offense by any means, but it should be integrated into the offense so that it's more of an option than it currently is. If you combine a screen for Harkless to run off of into what is primarily a play for Dame/CJ/Nurk, it would give us a second option if the defense squeezes the first option. But our sets only have one option, with the secondary option being a kick-out to the 3-point line. It's basic as fuck.

Anyway, I also agree with whoever mentioned the Harkless/Vonleh pairing - their combined limitations magnify each others individual limitations. If we had either a SF or a PF that was more of a consistent offensive force then the other would be just fine. As it is, we suffer on the offensive end (though I still like Hark/Vonleh on the defensive end).

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  15. kjironman1

Maybe multiple players are playing below your expectations? Or could it be the top 3 league wide defensive rating? Or could it be the multiple different lineup looks he has used over the vast 14 game stretch? Maybe it could be their League leading rebounding status? Maybe it could be that the players all seem to think he is the best coach they have ever played for?
    Please enlighten me as to what it could be?

16. Blazer4ever

Blazer4ever Finding a Way BANNED

Agricolture
    I think it's the same situation as with Vonleh that we need to bring him of the bench for him to be more effective. I would start Turner at the 3 anyway, I think he's more suitable for the starting lineup

17. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

We need 2 way player at SF position and some one that can shoot the 3 and be able take there man off the dribble right now we don't have that player. Maybe through the draft and again I would bring in and least look at the young man that the Knicks just waive. If he fit mold sign him if not say thank you move on.

18. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

If you're that curious then do a search of my posts and read them.

19. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Barely anyone has that player - and the few teams that do certainly aren't going to trade them. SF is currently the shallowest position in the NBA (or maybe it's SG, I can't remember - but good wings are rare).

BonesJones likes this.
  20. Reep

Reep Well-Known Member

I like Harkless a lot, and had hight hopes for his future, but I'm starting to wish Layman could get some burn. Harkless does some good stuff on the court, but not enough if this team's goals involve multiple rounds of the playoffs.

BonesJones and Pinwheel1 like this.