[Yahoo] Knicks deal is getting closer ...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets' started by durvasa, Feb 15, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...-knicksrocketstrade021510&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

This can be a very good long term deal for the Rockets if they are able to complete it. The Knicks are evidently confident that they can render those draft picks less valuable. The Rockets are hoping the Knicks continue to be a sorry team.

2. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    Morey get'er done!

Even if the Knicks do manage to make themselves respectable through free agency Morey has shown what he can do with a late first-round pick. We keep our rotation players intact and can potentially add a couple more valuable players to give us depth. I'm not a huge fan of Harrington, Jeffries or Hughes but getting Jordan Hill can pay off. The guy was highly valued during the draft and if he can develop into Yao's backup by next season this trade will have already paid off. We still maintain part of our cap space this summer and in 2011 both Yao and Jeffries come off the books, giving us more room to play around with if we decide to rebuild through the draft and free agency.

3. drexlersdad

drexlersdad SABAS

jeffries deal next year = 2 #1's and jordan hill.

not bad!

4. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I don't think Walsh is foolish enough to give up 2 first rounders for an over the hill McGrady. We are already offering you Hill. The only way I make the trade is if we replace Jeffries with Curry or throw them both in the deal. Houston is being a little pushy, especially since Jeffries expires next year, so he won't be a huge financial burden.

5. rocketeer

rocketeer Active Member

the rockets would get two knicks picks but the knicks would get a rockets pick.

6. Trip

Student
    Rocketeer's right. The two teams will swap first rounders in 2011 and the Rockets get the Knicks 2012 first round pick. The Knicks might also give the Rockets a 2010 second-rounder. Obviously the Knicks are banking that those picks won't be too valuable by the time they expire and the Rockets are hoping that the Knicks will still suck.

Seeing as how Walsh is desperate to shed Jeffries' contract I'd say he's not pulling an Isiah here. Of course it favours the Rockets but that's not my worry. ;)

7. durvasa

durvasa JBB Rockets Fan

The Knicks are intrigued by McGrady, bu that's not why they are doing this deal. They can free up about 9 million more for this summer, giving them enough cap space to offer two max deals. That would make them a much more enticing destination for prospective free agents. This deal gives the Knicks a shot to be very good, very fast. The Rockets, of course, are hoping that the big stars stay with their current teams.

8. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I know it's for financial reasons, but it's still a bad move depending on the status of the picks. We're giving up Jordan Hill, a lottery pick, plus two more picks? It's not worth it, since the Rockets are only adding 7M to the cap for an additional year. Plus Harrington gives them a solid veteran scorer to help them during their playoff push this season.

While we can be very good, very fast there has to be an emphasis on "can". LeBron, Wade and all of the star free agents have a good chance of re-signing with their respective teams. We shouldn't sacrifice our future for this FA class.

9. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

I'm hearing we're not giving up Jordan Hill and our picks our protected. Walsh is calling Houston's bluff.

I love it.

10. Trip

Student
    Looks like we pulled a fast one on you. I love it.

We essentially traded McGrady in this deal that was proposed and also moved Landry for Kevin Martin. Morey is a genius!

11. Mr. J

Mr. J Triple Up

The Rockets definitely made out well in this trade, it seems. There still are some factors that can make this a good or bad trade for both teams:

For the Knicks
    - Who do we sign this summer?

Rockets
    - How good will Kevin Martin be? He's signed long term and has been disappointing since coming back from injury.