Yankees Close to Acquiring Alfonso Soriano

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by JeterRules20, Jul 23, 2013.

1. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

***yup, I just don't get some people's rationale. They seem to think that the Yanx can jettison their refuse at will and get other teams to bend over and cough up their future stars.

2. RustySpan

RustySpan Member

Again, no solution, tell us the move? how about the player you sign this past off season?

3. RustySpan

RustySpan Member

The Yankees do not want to trade away the few good chips they have, for good reason, and that's the only way a trade gets done, so what you're saying is trade away the youth for youth? makes no sense, and they did just do that with Pineda and Granderson, so it's not like they haven't tried.

4. Majorball

Majorball Well-Known Member

Rusty, I an afraid the only possible solution has time as part of the equation. There are no quick fixes as you know. In Basketball, you read how Ainge is acquiring assets in order to speed up the Celtics rebuilding process. Well the Yankees have very little assets as of today. Time will be required to develop and acquire enough talent to become relevant again. The landscape has changed, We have missed on acquiring International Talent, Darvish and Puig and the likes, our drafts have been horrible, and the future hall of famers that were on or on the team are close to being eligible for voting for the Hall of Fame and not next years all star game. Time is the only answer now for this organization and hopes that the from AA down that the talent that appears to be there continues to produce on each level and then pray that whoever is running their development doesn't screw them up like in the past.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  5. Messiah717

Messiah717 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Just accept the fact that there might be a tough couple of years in Yankee land. I'd rather have that than it be a tough ten years. I'm a fan of the New York Rangers and the New York Knicks and I've experienced with both teams long term droughts caused by quick ill advised fixes.

6. Yblue

Yblue Member

who thinks this, 59?

7. Yblue

Yblue Member

I am not concered about 2013. Trade Hughes, Joba, even Kuroda and CC is at all possible. Too bad Granderson is hurt or i would add him as well. Trade anoyone on the current roster that is tradable and not in the future plan and get whatever you can to build toward the future. Set a limit on what you offer Cano and DO NOT go beyond that, even if it means he walks. Put an end to these ridiculous long term deals that caused this mess to begin with. You SELL, you do not BUY adding more over the hill players. You would think you have never heard of this concept before.

You want a move that will matter? Fire this useless GM and get someone who is a little more creative than adding every 37 year old player he can find.

8. Yblue

Yblue Member

Exactly, drafts, contracts, failed farm, terrible player development and yet here lies Cashman....still large and in charge with the same BS vision, adding aging players to try to fix the now. That guy has to go. Thats move #1.

9. yankeesince59

...you can't tell me you have not read any of the inane trade ideas.

10. Messiah717

You also must keep in mind is that as long as they're home dates left this organization cares very much about the money. They will never admit they're out of the race and start dumping people. Of the two likely trade options (Hughes & Joba) their value is way down. You would be better off taking the draft picks when they sign elsewhere.

11. Yblue

Yblue Member

Unrealistic. It should be more about shedding age and bad deals. Bring in what you can, but no, the yanks arent getting a blue chip, obvioulsy.

12. RustySpan

RustySpan Member

I do not accept down years for rebuilding, that's lame, there's nothing wrong with keeping the youth and hiring veterans, it's worked in the past, most recently last season, and last I checked the great youthful teams like Oakland have done jack squat for decades, so that's no winning model, go get Soriano or whoever can help win now I say, just keep the good chips.

13. Yblue

Yblue Member

Possibly. Needs to be explored and word is that it is. But bringing in Soriano is a move to make a move. Adding more aging players is useless. Spark some short term interest perhaps? Again, thats the wrong vision. I have no idea how they plan to fix this mess without blowing things up with bad Free agent deals again.

14. Messiah717

Again, the problem is that it's impossible for them to shed what you want them to. Nobody is taking CC's contract, Tex's contract or Arod's contract. Your hope is this. Arod gets taken care of by baseball and injury. As for Tex and CC they're 32 year old guys who you hope can bounce back and give you production in their final contract years.

15. Yblue

Yblue Member

If it can be done right. The yankees have very little youth and guys like Soriano sure arent going to help much. Definitly wont help CC pitch better or Andy get 4 years younger. No reason at all yankees should not be ridding themselevs of some of these guys who do not factor in the future in an effort to get bad deals gone and increase the pool of youth. What comes down next year? More terrible free agent deals starting with Cano? Because thats where it looks like its headed. The down years are coming, soriano types or not, unless they go buy a crap load of free agents all over again. The farm isnt helping soon. You are the type of fan that the front office makes these terrible moves for. Congrats.

16. Majorball

Majorball Well-Known Member

In additional response to Rusty, when the Yankees were employing the add free agent to youth core movement, Jeter Posada, Andy Mo and the likes were the youth, 4 potential hall of famers, and that resulted in only 1 World Series over the past few years, the youth or so called youth on this team are utility level players at best. There is no youth to add to.

17. yankeesince59

...can we at least wait and see how next year unfolds before passing judgment on it and telling people what kind of fans they are?

18. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

We don't have to entirely gut the team to get us back to respectability. By years end we're going to have over 100M to play with. We should be able get some pretty good players with that. Hell. McCann & Morales alone would be a huge improvement.

19. Yblue

Yblue Member

My comment was based on Rusty saying he will not accept down years. Its that mentality that leads to bad decisions for the now vs smart ones for the future. I dont have to wait until next year. Rusty made hsi stance very clear.