Yi talks about the challenges of Olympic competition

Discussion in 'Brooklyn Nets' started by GMJ, Jul 30, 2008.

1. GMJ

GMJ Suspended

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>[​IMG]
    Yi Olympic Blog: Adapting is the Challenge
    July 30, 2008, 10:24 pm In his Nike basketball blog, Yi Jianlian writes about the challenges he faces in the Olympics, the most critical adapting. Yi notes how he has already “had the opportunity for the first time to encounter all these different teams and players” he will face in the Olympics and now knowing “the best players” he must “adapt … this is the greatest challenge.”

[​IMG] Blogging the Journey: Yi JianLian - Yi Jianlian - Nike Basketball</div>

2. pegs

pegs My future wife.

Yi has a pretty boring blog.

I think the purpose of a basketball player's blog is to get inside a player's head. Or at least, some of the blog should focus on that. Yi's is pretty boring, straightforward. I'd like to see him comment on the actual play. Like, voice his opinion on how the team plays - whether it has to do with his teammates, the coach, the teams' style of play. But I guess this is what to expect from a "star" basketball player on the Chinese team...right? (Correct me if I'm dumb)

I'd also REALLY like to know why Yi's been struggling, or not trying, or whatever it is he's doing right now.

3. Tang Man

Tang Man Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jul 30 2008, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yi has a pretty boring blog.

I think the purpose of a basketball player's blog is to get inside a player's head. Or at least, some of the blog should focus on that. Yi's is pretty boring, straightforward. I'd like to see him comment on the actual play. Like, voice his opinion on how the team plays - whether it has to do with his teammates, the coach, the teams' style of play. But I guess this is what to expect from a "star" basketball player on the Chinese team...right? (Correct me if I'm dumb)

I'd also REALLY like to know why Yi's been struggling, or not trying, or whatever it is he's doing right now.</div>

Agreed it would be good to know what's behind his lackluster effort on the court in recent games. More importantly perhaps is what he is going to do to snap out of his funk.

4. nets1

nets1 Member

my only concern here is not his skills, but like Yao when he came over is maybe he doesn't like physical play. He may be more of a finesse player ala KVH. I've noticed like against Mongolia when they put real power players against him he struggles, or disappears or shy away from banging. That would be ashame if true. Again, haven't seen him enough to have proof of this, but so far its my gut feeling

5. bling890

bling890 Member

It's funny that Yi is using the excuse that he is struggling due to the adjustments he must make in facing the "best players," When Kevin Durant and the Sonics could probably beat half the teams in these Olympics, and Duke could probably beat Australia. So what is Yi talking about? If anything most of these teams in the Olympics should be nothing but a warm up for what he'll see this NBA season.

6. Tang Man

Tang Man Member

Here is an what coach Jonas had to say about Yi's struggle in an interview on fiba.com.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/inte...27433/arti.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>FIBA: From a neutral observer, Yi looks like he has all the ability in the world but he seems to be struggling. Is his inexperience letting him down?

Kazlauskas: We need time to play a good game with Yao and that is not easy and not simple. When we played without Yao, it was much easier for Yi because he could pause, he could play at the perimeter, he could switch positions with Wang Zhizhi and he could have more opportunities. Now everybody is concentrating on Yao and he needs time again. He needs to find his position and his role in this team. I think conclusions need to be drawn after the Olympics and not before.</div>

So maybe the team is just trying to get Yao up to speed and back in form again and Yi has been asked to take a back seat till the Olympics....................at least that's what I am hoping!!!

7. Tang Man

Tang Man Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bling890 @ Jul 31 2008, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's funny that Yi is using the excuse that he is struggling due to the adjustments he must make in facing the "best players," When Kevin Durant and the Sonics could probably beat half the teams in these Olympics, and Duke could probably beat Australia. So what is Yi talking about? If anything most of these teams in the Olympics should be nothing but a warm up for what he'll see this NBA season.</div>

Don't be so ignorant about the standard of international competition. These teams may just surprise you. It's laughable that you think Duke and a sonics team with Kevin Durant can win when team USA with Lebron, Melo, Howard etc struggled to dominate the international game. I just watched Team US hammered Turkey this morning but there are some real signs of concern for team USA. They still can't play pick and roll defense and give away too many offensive rebounds because they don't block out. It's not going to matter against the lesser teams but just wait the crunch games. These basic fundamental skills could come back to haunt them once again. There was stretch in the 2nd quarter as well where they really struggled to execute the half court offense and relied a lot on isolation and 1 on 1 played. The transition game was what won it for team USA. If teams are able to cut that off and get them into a half court game, then the games could be real close.

8. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tang Man @ Jul 31 2008, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bling890 @ Jul 31 2008, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's funny that Yi is using the excuse that he is struggling due to the adjustments he must make in facing the "best players," When Kevin Durant and the Sonics could probably beat half the teams in these Olympics, and Duke could probably beat Australia. So what is Yi talking about? If anything most of these teams in the Olympics should be nothing but a warm up for what he'll see this NBA season.</div>

Don't be so ignorant about the standard of international competition. These teams may just surprise you. It's laughable that you think Duke and a sonics team with Kevin Durant can win when team USA with Lebron, Melo, Howard etc struggled to dominate the international game. I just watched Team US hammered Turkey this morning but there are some real signs of concern for team USA. They still can't play pick and roll defense and give away too many offensive rebounds because they don't block out. It's not going to matter against the lesser teams but just wait the crunch games. These basic fundamental skills could come back to haunt them once again. There was stretch in the 2nd quarter as well where they really struggled to execute the half court offense and relied a lot on isolation and 1 on 1 played. The transition game was what won it for team USA. If teams are able to cut that off and get them into a half court game, then the games could be real close.

</div>

You're forgetting the players that they have - all they'd have to do is throw Boozer and Deron on the court with a bunch of shooters, run their own pick and roll, and own. Boozer and Deron are teammates, and execute the pick and roll about 30 times a game on Utah. You think those 2 couldn't run a half court offense when needed?

Oh, and Lebron got to the finals with a shit halfcourt offense.

I think, when the time comes, and when we really need it, we'll be fine (as long as Coach K knows what he's doing).

9. Tang Man

Tang Man Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jul 31 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You're forgetting the players that they have - all they'd have to do is throw Boozer and Deron on the court with a bunch of shooters, run their own pick and roll, and own. Boozer and Deron are teammates, and execute the pick and roll about 30 times a game on Utah. You think those 2 couldn't run a half court offense when needed?

I think, when the time comes, and when we really need it, we'll be fine (as long as Coach K knows what he's doing).</div>

I am just reporting what I saw out there. The US got out hustle to offensive boards and at time play some pretty lazy defense, leaving guys wide open. They gave up a lot of lay ups of pick and rolls. What Boozer and Williams does with the Jazz is irrelevant to how they'll be defended during the Olympics. I am expecting team US to win gold because they have the talent. However I won't be surprise if they got upset either. International play especially from the 1/4 finals onwards is 1 and done. You don't get a 2nd chance to redeem yourself. Make silly mistakes like not blocking out and giving other team easy 2nd chance points is suicidal.

10. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tang Man @ Jul 31 2008, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Jul 31 2008, 09:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>You're forgetting the players that they have - all they'd have to do is throw Boozer and Deron on the court with a bunch of shooters, run their own pick and roll, and own. Boozer and Deron are teammates, and execute the pick and roll about 30 times a game on Utah. You think those 2 couldn't run a half court offense when needed?

I think, when the time comes, and when we really need it, we'll be fine (as long as Coach K knows what he's doing).</div>

I am just reporting what I saw out there. The US got out hustle to offensive boards and at time play some pretty lazy defense, leaving guys wide open. They gave up a lot of lay ups of pick and rolls. What Boozer and Williams does with the Jazz is irrelevant to how they'll be defended during the Olympics. I am expecting team US to win gold because they have the talent. However I won't be surprise if they got upset either. International play especially from the 1/4 finals onwards is 1 and done. You don't get a 2nd chance to redeem yourself. Make silly mistakes like not blocking out and giving other team easy 2nd chance points is suicidal.
    </div>

Well, they were up 30, right? I don't blame 'em.

I'm sure when they face tougher competition, along the lines of Argentina or someone like that, they'll definitely shape up and play serious.

11. Malorkayel

Malorkayel Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tang Man @ Jul 31 2008, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Here is an what coach Jonas had to say about Yi's struggle in an interview on fiba.com.

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/inte...27433/arti.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>FIBA: From a neutral observer, Yi looks like he has all the ability in the world but he seems to be struggling. Is his inexperience letting him down?

Kazlauskas: We need time to play a good game with Yao and that is not easy and not simple. When we played without Yao, it was much easier for Yi because he could pause, he could play at the perimeter, he could switch positions with Wang Zhizhi and he could have more opportunities. Now everybody is concentrating on Yao and he needs time again. He needs to find his position and his role in this team. I think conclusions need to be drawn after the Olympics and not before.</div>

So maybe the team is just trying to get Yao up to speed and back in form again and Yi has been asked to take a back seat till the Olympics....................at least that's what I am hoping!!!
    </div>

This is kind of comforting to know. They're preparing the team for Yao. Everything else comes second, including winning these practice games.

Still, Yi could be a little more aggressive when Yao is off the floor, but all the guards probably think it's time for them to chuck up shots as well.

It is interesting that Yi does take a lot of time to set up for dribble drives and post moves.

12. bling890

bling890 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tang Man @ Jul 31 2008, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bling890 @ Jul 31 2008, 07:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>It's funny that Yi is using the excuse that he is struggling due to the adjustments he must make in facing the "best players," When Kevin Durant and the Sonics could probably beat half the teams in these Olympics, and Duke could probably beat Australia. So what is Yi talking about? If anything most of these teams in the Olympics should be nothing but a warm up for what he'll see this NBA season.</div>

</div>

I am in no way being ignorant. I didn't say that the Sonics could win the Olympics with their team, I said they could probably beat SOME of the teams in the Olympics, lower teams like Australia and China definitely being a couple of them. Anyhow that was not the point I was trying to make. My issue was mainly with Yi saying that it is a struggle to "adaptt the best players in the world." Umm hasn't he been playing with the best talent in the world already??? These games should provide much less of a challenge for Yi especially after the rigors of an entire NBa season. And while I may be sounding a bit biased towards NBA basketball, I think it's safe to say that most of these teams would struggle to stay out of the cellar if theyw ere to be placed in the NBA. My main point being: STEP IT UP YI.

13. Claud

Claud Legendary

Full-time Student
    Every game for team USA has at least one NBA ref in it... and when the olympics come there wont be any in their games... so they will be called for other things they are not used to and this will affect how they play in the olympics as we've seen before.

Sorry I felt like I needed to say that for X reason. Anyway I agree with Tang that USA team are the favorites BUT would not be surprised if Spain,Argentina.Russia or maybe even Serbia knock them out.

14. pegs

pegs My future wife.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Claud @ Jul 31 2008, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Every game for team USA has at least one NBA ref in it... and when the olympics come there wont be any in their games... so they will be called for other things they are not used to and this will affect how they play in the olympics as we've seen before.

Sorry I felt like I needed to say that for X reason. Anyway I agree with Tang that USA team are the favorites BUT would not be surprised if Spain,Argentina.Russia or maybe even Serbia knock them out.</div>

Argentina could definitely knock them off, but I doubt USA will play like they did against Turkey. I think they'll step up to the challenge more, knowing they're going against a great team.

15. bling890

bling890 Member

completely off topic but pegs' avatar is the most amazing thing ive ever seen. i laughed so hard when i first saw it on the other topic lol.

16. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I'm still favouring Spain, but the US are definitely fielding their strongest team in over a decade.

17. hoopskidd5

hoopskidd5 BBW Member

The U.S. has easily the most talented team and on paper should blow out ever team, but the teams at the international stage have been playing together for years and are extremely fundamentally sound. The U.S. will need to defend the pick and roll well and they may have some problems with their limited big men with only Boozer, Howard and Bosh in the post.

18. nets1

nets1 Member

two times i remember the usa losing in the Olympics. The first time was when the Russians cheated and got 3 chances to score in the end. The refs and judges were all from the eastern block and it was a scam.

The second time i remember was when the usa dream team had Allen Iverson and Stephon Marbury, two ball hogs who dribbled for 23 and a half second, the force up a shot or try to pass off. Then Jason Kidd entered the team and we had a dream team once again

This years dream team is truly a dream team with talent and Jason Kidd is at the helm. No team will beat the usa this year period. In the last warm up against canada the usa beat them by 50 and kidd didn't even attempt a shot. The usa won't lose t his year.

19. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Come on man, using Canada as a benchmark is pointless. Not only did we have nothing to play for, but our coach is potentially in a lame-duck situation and our team just generally sucks.

The days of the Dream Team are over. There are a few teams that will give the US a genuine challenge no matter how many NBA players they have on the team. And then there are a bunch of teams that can pull of an upset if they get hot at the right time.

20. Tang Man

Tang Man Member

The US should win and win comfortably. It has the best individual talent on the planet. However the international games are a little different. Teams played with great intensity. A team like Australia may not have the talent the US has, but they fight and compete on every single possession. It's the same with a lot of the top nations. So lazy habits such as not boxing out and leaving guys open will get punish. Also the pick and roll defense is still very much an issue for team USA. I expect the US to do very well but in saying that they are still vulnerable to an upset because of the thing I've pointed out. Their next warm game is against Lithiuania. The Lithiuanians are a well drilled and smart team that with provide the US will a decent challenge.