York Report: Mitchell on thin ice

Discussion in 'Toronto Raptors' started by dunksworth, Mar 21, 2006.

1. dunksworth

dunksworth JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">• Sam Mitchell’s days as coach of the Raptors appear numbered.

According to sources close to Bryan Colangelo, the new club chief has let it be known through the NBA grapevine that he intends to find his own man to coach next season.</div>
    http://www.metronews.ca/column_york_report...4860&cid=102233

It's Marty York so take from it what you will.... but this still shouldn't come as too much of a surprise considering new gms always want to start fresh.

2. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

Ahhh man. Don't even get me started on Marty York. This is my first year commuting, so I only started reading his column in Metro. But the man throws out every rumour he picks up on the internet. Then when one of those rumours happens to be true he brags about it like a dumbass. Any idiot could form a better opinion than him.

Dave Feschuk's stupidity X 4 billion = The York Report

3. Nasty

Nasty JBB Sorry, I killed Fever

Mart York?!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

lol @ marty york

the guys a joke. not to say mitchell has the most job security in the world. but he's the head coach of a lottery team...saying that there are rumors that he's going to be fired, is like doing a "NEWSFLASH" report that the earth is round

5. deception

deception JBB Banned Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dj_premium_plus:</div><div class="quote_post">lol @ marty york

the guys a joke. not to say mitchell has the most job security in the world. but he's the head coach of a lottery team...saying that there are rumors that he's going to be fired, is like doing a "NEWSFLASH" report that the earth is round</div>

i agree with the crux of your post, mitchell coaches a lottery team so he should be critically evaluated. i personally don't think he's done anything to justify an extension; in fact, i think he should be fired today. mitchell's coaching credo is simple: play your best players (james, bosh, peterson) 45 mpg and hope they have something left in them to compete in the closing minutes which they usually don't. he hasn't developed the bench- bonner has regressed, graham has underachieved, and charlie v. in my estimation hit the rookie wall way too soon.

6. dunksworth

dunksworth JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting dj_premium_plus:</div><div class="quote_post">lol @ marty york

the guys a joke. not to say mitchell has the most job security in the world. but he's the head coach of a lottery team...saying that there are rumors that he's going to be fired, is like doing a "NEWSFLASH" report that the earth is round</div>

Well this situation is a little different considering that Bosh stated that he wants Mitchell to stay (and of course we'd do ANYTHING to keep him happy) and even Colangelo himself said that he'd be interested in keeping Mitchell around.

I agree that Marty York is a joke though...

7. Premium

Premium JBB I'm kind of a big deal

there is always a "situation" but in my opinion, being the coach of a lottery team means there will inevitably be "fire talk" around the league somewhere

8. hohoyoyoyo

hohoyoyoyo JBB JustBBall Member

marty york's report...

he is worth a bag of smarty and a york transit ticket

although it's kind of true that mitchell needs to go

9. Jones

Jones JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hohoyoyoyo:</div><div class="quote_post">marty york's report...

he is worth a bag of smarty and a york transit ticket

although it's kind of true that mitchell needs to go</div>

why does he need to go???? are we underacheiving? are we not trying? have the players tuned him out? Mitchell has made a bad situation better, probably has done a better job than a lot of coaches could have. Who would you rather have instead? Look at Seattle, they let McMillan walk and let Bob Hill become coach and they are sucking it up compared to last year. McMillan and Mitchell's coaching paths are shaping up to be fairly similar. Be careful what you wish for.

10. norespect

norespect JBB gotta nuke something...

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jones:</div><div class="quote_post">why does he need to go???? are we underacheiving? are we not trying? have the players tuned him out? Mitchell has made a bad situation better, probably has done a better job than a lot of coaches could have. Who would you rather have instead? Look at Seattle, they let McMillan walk and let Bob Hill become coach and they are sucking it up compared to last year. McMillan and Mitchell's coaching paths are shaping up to be fairly similar. Be careful what you wish for.</div>

You can't be happy for the status quo.....we aren't really underachieving, but we can't be happy with that. This franchise has been in limbo for a few years now, so we need to make noise, and just being happy we aren't underachieving isn't going to be enough.....Thats the whole point, McMillan had a great year with the sonics, mitchell didn't, there is no comparison there.

11. Jones

Jones JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting norespect:</div><div class="quote_post">You can't be happy for the status quo.....we aren't really underachieving, but we can't be happy with that. This franchise has been in limbo for a few years now, so we need to make noise, and just being happy we aren't underachieving isn't going to be enough.....Thats the whole point, McMillan had a great year with the sonics, mitchell didn't, there is no comparison there.</div>

^^ OK Richard Peddie!

The status quo keeps on getting better so why not want to keep it. This is a team on the rise that is getting better, learning how to play 40 minutes and learning how to win....we've been better than a lot of the teams since our horrible start so how is this underachieving??? I would say we are overachieving...this is the team everyone picked to finish dead last in the NBA and even the GM predicted less wins that last year. IF our team has been in limbo for the last couple of years what good would it do to fire our coach that has got the guys bought into things and throw it all back into limbo again? As for making noise, aren't we? We're winning more, teams respect us more, we're are painfully slowly making strides on D, and we're growing up. We have a super young team with a horrible useless bench, not an easy recipe. Larry Brown has been horrible in New York this year b/c of all the drama so how can Mitchell be faulted for anything last year which wasn't what i was comparing Mitchell and McMillan. They are both formers players, both known for their tenacity and hard work, both are young'ish'...Mitchell started coaching later and I was McMillan's first years in Seattle as coach to Mitchell now, thought that would be pretty self evident but guess not...and NOW McMillan is a respected coach which is where I see Mitchell being soon.