You be the GM: Nurkic extension this summer?

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by PtldPlatypus, Apr 5, 2017.

1. riverman

riverman Writing Team

This pretty much sums it up for me

Blazer Freak and trailblazer18 like this.
  2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Then we're gonna have to ask Dame to give us a discount on his next contract. And I actually think, if anyone is going to, Dame would be the one to do it - lead by example, and hope that CJ/Nurkic follow his lead.

dviss1 and Boob-No-More like this.
  3. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

If we have to match an RFA offer sheet, that could include certain things we might want to avoid, like the trade kicker currently on Crabbe's contract. Locking in an extension this summer can prevent unforeseen undesirable contract elements. And of course, if we could get him to extend for less than the max, that would save some cash.

4. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Two major benefits:

1. You let Nurkic know that you value him in the same way you value Dame and CJ, whom you gave extended contracts.

2. You avoid the whole RFA circus and get to write the contract in a favorable manner, not having to match a junk contract written by another GM with a bunch of provisions intended to make you pass or suffer pain.

dviss1, BonesJones and Boob-No-More like this.
  5. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

There is a difference between a player that willingly signs an extension and one that is whiling to leave his team and go to the highest bidder, and than being forced to stay on the team because they matched his RFA offer.

The players that sign an extension are making a commitment to the team.
    Dame signed an extension.
    CJ signed an extension

While not necessary, it would be a very nice gesture on Nurkics part if he continued in this tradition, and signed an extension, making a commitment to the team.

6. BlazerCaravan

BlazerCaravan Hug a Bigot... to Death

Both of these are most useful as gestures if you know some asshole GM will try to max him out, forcing our hand. I think this might be possible but I leave that to NO and PA to decide.

7. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

No worries about that, Bosnia is not playing this year and the next Eurobasket is 4 years away. And I don't see them playing any World Cup or Olympics.

Personally I think we should try something less than the max, even Giannis did not get the max to help his team. It's not insulting for a player with a track of 20 good games.
    If he doesn't accept around 90M/4 years, then just let it be and we match what he gets next year. This way we will 100% sure where he stands healthwise.

8. Blazinaway

Blazinaway Well-Known Member

agree, and frankly there is going to be a good bit less money overall available for FA's this summer even with the modest cap rise and the following summer is expecting a flat cap - so why hurry and let him prove himself over a full season.

9. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

I'm coming around to the idea of waiting. He's got an injury history and some motivation issues. We've only seen him for 20 games.

Jade Falcon, BonesJones and BBert like this.
  10. GDiama

GDiama Well-Known Member

And in any case with all these bad contracts that have been offered last summer and maybe will be offered this summer too I don't see many teams having the cap to offer a max deal next summer and even if they do I suppose Nurkic won't be top priority for them. And the projections for salary cap don't show big increases from next year and on.

11. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Says the man who still has Plumdog as his avatar.

We know where your true loyalties lie.

12. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

LOL just haven't come around to changing yet. I've been wanting Nurk since December.

BBert likes this.
  13. riverman

riverman Writing Team

In perspective, Kaman looked like the 6man of the year the first 20 games he played with us...there's no rush to give Nurk a max deal...

14. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

"Bench Meyers, bench Meyers, bench Meyers....."

Dougnsalem and PtldPlatypus like this.
  15. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

Not a fair comparison. Kaman was past his prime. It was very predictable that he would come out strong when he had plenty of rest. But as the season wore on, and his minutes added up, his production would suffer. That was the pattern for the last few years of his career.

Dougnsalem likes this.
  16. trailblazer18

trailblazer18 Well-Known Member

Only sign him this off season if it is a reasonable contract, definitely do not need to max him out this summer. First priority this summer has to be shedding some of the bad contracts and hopefully getting a somewhat useful piece back.

Wizard Mentor likes this.
  17. Nikolokolus

Nikolokolus There's always next year

Yes Neil should offer him an extension, and Nurkic would be a fool to accept anything less than a max deal.

That said, Neil better move Heaven and Earth to shed Turner, Crabbe and/or Leonar_'s contracts before it kicks in.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  18. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    This is what I was going to say. :cheers:

19. BlazerWookee

BlazerWookee UNTILT THE DAMN PINWHEEL!

Gear Finisher
    I would too. But I'm pretty sure the CBA and the Players' Union would say that ain't kosher...

20. Blazer Freak

Blazer Freak Superstar in the Making

Management
    I understand those points. Obviously you want to make important players to your team feel wanted...but guys. It's been 20 fucking games. He can ask for it this summer but they are by no means under any pressure to give it to him.

Sure, there are provisions that other teams can throw in if he reaches RFA, but RFA doesn't mean we can't negotiate a contract with him. We will be able to offer him more money than any other team could next summer, why would he miss out on that when he knows in the end we will sign him?

The dude is a potential all-star but he has had injury concerns in the past. For as much as every member on this forum has TORCHED Olshey on the contracts he handed out last year, you guys sure are eager to add another big one to the books.

Let's just be patient. We have the youngest team in the NBA, 3 core players secured and a lot of picks. Let Olshey use the assets he has accumulated to work some magic and see where we are next off-season before we go offering another $100M contract.