You make the call.......

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Rick2583, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

Vicodin, Oxycodone for pain. Muscle relaxer like Baclofin, or an anti-inflamatory like Naproxen. All Medicinal. Now I don't if these are considered PEDs but IF they are percribed by a doctor they should not be on the list as banned substances. JMO.

2. Rick2583

Tom I was hoping to see what your response to my above post would be, just curious.

3. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

Hey Rick just saw this. Well those are also potential drugs of abuse. Oxycodone is banned. Vicodin is banned in NCAA and a few other places. Naproxen is OK at lower doses. Baclofen is OK too. There have been attempts to ban most of these as the can serve as recovery/masking/reversal agents for other banned substances. Those compounds all hit an array of targets without much specificity which is why they all have broad side effects can well.

The point of my comment previously is that it is likely that no one drug does just what its primary design intended. This is why is now takes up to $800M to launch a new FDA approved drug these days.

4. Rick2583

That's the part though Tom that I don't agree with, I tweak my back on Tuesday but I don't want to miss the big game on Wednesday so Tuesday night I take a Percocet (Oxycodone) for the pain. Not so I could hit better but because I need to feel better. How & why is this wrong?

5. totus44

Its not wrong, its logical. Just like say you tear a bicep or a pec, etc. Why not allow steroids to speed the muscle growth. I get the emphasis of natural athletes for amateurs and the Olympics. Fine. But for pro sports....do what you want in the off season, follow these limited rules...clean unless injured, then only under medical care.

Never happen, likely goes in the opposite direction.

6. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

I know you were seeking Tom's input, but IMO, there should be timetables things could be taken.... i.e. a week or less for something acute.... Again though, this would be the players choice though... Not necessary...

Plus a test could indicate how much was in there system which could indicate when they last took & for how long depending on the pharmaceutical profile of each drug

7. Rick2583

I just can't see a guy getting banned for taking something for pain. I mean instead of getting commended for wanting to tough it out through the pain, he's now labeled a cheater. Not right IMO.

8. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

I don't know of anyone being suspended or labeled a cheat for taking a Doctor prescribed painkiller.

9. Rick2583

Nor do I , I was just making a general statement that if a pain killer like Oxycodone or vicodin are banned one could get suspended if its found in your system.

10. blgridesagain

blgridesagain team player

"broom Gilda, put a leech on his neck and the usual shot of Cortisone"!

11. yankeesince59

...oh yeah, I knew where you were coming from. I think it will take some time to streamline and simplify the program and they'll constantly be amending it as necessary.

12. Hammerojustice

Hammerojustice Chief Caveman, Keeper of Thor's Hammer

Question I have though is how do you prove the Dr isn't just writing scripts when no need is evident...

13. totus44

There you go Hammer, and this is why the sports that fully adopt wada/usada programs have such draconian bans.

14. totus44

Time to streamline? Not likely my friend. The minors are gonna get a full dose of the wada program.....pressure has been mounting. Sooner or later the pros are gonna get the guilt pressure from the nanny statists too. Baseball...all sports are gonna get fucked by warnings that never competed a day in their lives.

And they are using good fans and purists of the game as their unwitting accomplices. Their goals have nothing to do with the integrity of sport, its all control for the crowd that wants everyone to get a trophy.

15. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    I think I'll utterly bow and give out on this subject. Tho' often an outspoken Critic myself, the more I dig up on History, and Pro-Sports, I see alot of my own boyhood Heroe's come into question. I wish I'd of saved/bookmarked, and posted the article I read a week or so ago. The article mentioned Aaron himself stating to a reporter he had taken an amphetamine once, "but didn't like what it did to him, so he never took another".....

Many other greats were called into question.....over the last 50-60 years.

I've also admitted, its high time to begin to allow many of banned substances, for Post Op, or PT events, even used for alternative therapies. With a Conservative and rationale approach, without having the system getting tighter to choking out reason. Which is where it sounds like your saying MLB is going? Is that correct Tom?

In tune with the times, without over utilization or UN-authorized, yet new by-laws for loosening up the noose, in lieu of tightening it up...!

Let that be Selig's Legacy.....!

Beware of taking a Tylenol, sounds like it...?

16. yankeesince59

...hmmm... OK...how about FULLY "streamline"...better?

...and sorry, but the scenarios you referenced will take "time" to fully implement.

...again, the point I was making is that it will take some time to get the wrinkles out.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  17. yankeesince59

..and I'll say it one more time;

"I don't know of anyone being suspended or labeled a cheat for taking a Doctor prescribed painkiller."

...instead of suggesting conspiracy theories, can anyone actually point to a name ?

18. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    I can't, well maybe, Tyrone Shoelaces......!

19. totus44

Oh I know...I just have absolutely no faith that this system actually doing the right thing.

20. yankeesince59

...gotcha.