You make the call.......

Discussion in 'New York Yankees' started by Rick2583, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Rick2583

Rick2583 Chairman of the board

Case in point, I don't remember the substance that Pettitte said he used to heal from (I think) a knee injury (and I believe him) but he's now been tagged with the label of a cheat.

2. yankeesince59

yankeesince59 "Oh Captain, my Captain".

...Pettitte used HGH on 2 separate occasions...and neither was "Doctor prescribed".

...Clemens told Andy about HGH and Andy then sought out and consulted McNamee.

3. Rick2583

But my point Ron is that IMO whether he got it from a doctor or from a friend of a friend his purpose was only to help with an injury & not to enhance his game in any way, and that's what I feel needs to be addressed before we start labeling players. Again, JMO.

4. totus44

totus44 Lord of the Dark Side

I think I can bridge both ends of this conversation. Andy's intent was to heal/extend his career, not too have an unfair advantage over other players on the playing field. How he went about getting hGH was absolutely wrong. If he cheated, he cheated the Yanks and Astros out of money, competing free agents out of a roster spot, medical professionals out of fees. But did he earn stats unfairly...I don't think so.

Its all splitting hairs at this point....I do see both sides. Bottom line, if we know that there are substances that do help players get back on the field, team doctors need to be prescribing these and request waivers with mlb under the existing rules.

5. yankeesince59

...rick, it has been addressed...there's a "list" of what is allowed, period. And Andy went the short route on his own and I'm sorry, but there IS a difference between going through a DOCTOR and going through a "friend of a friend"...I doubt a Doctor, especially a team Doctor is going to prescribe HGH.
    ...as tote alluded to, there is an already established requirement that mandates that the players get clearance FIRST before using certain compounds/medicines, etc.

...Andy was a nice guy, but let's face it, if he weren't a Yankee, would you still defend him?...I doubt it...I wouldn't either.

6. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    ah split ends, the one thing women hate most....!

7. Rick2583

I hear what you're saying Ron & I follow your logic but, although this may not be a fair analogy because we are not athletes governed by rules haven't you even tweaked your knee or pulled a muscle & a family member or a close friend gave you something for the pain? That's all I'm saying.

Also I just don't think we can or should compare the following...........................

Bonds, A-Rod, Sosa, McGwire etc, getting shots in the ass to build muscle mass to, John Smith or Joe Blow popping a Vicodin to ease some pain. And yes I know there's rules but I'm hoping & wishing that somewhere down the road the (MLB) can differentiate between the two scenario's & judge each one accordingly. For instance..........

EXAMPLE 1 = 50 game suspension

EXAMPLE 2 = 5-10 game suspension for taking a pain medication without a doctors perscription.

8. yankeesince59

...I understand your meaning rick...but, I don't think there should be much of a "grey area" concerning the program. As the saying goes, "Ignorance of the law is no excuse".

The rules have been laid out and unfortunately there will likely be some collateral damage...I guess that's the price you pay.

...Chris Davis, for example didn't follow the rules and he was suspend last for using the exact same medication that he is OKed to use this year.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  9. Mattingly23NY

Mattingly23NY Turning Fastballs Into Souveneir's ~

Ret. Quality OPS/Engr. Mgr.
    NTM- He missed an ALCS, and there is no making up for that loss. No amount of money can replace that awkward suspension of Davis.

BTW-Rick Taking a Script WITHOUT a Dr's Prescription is a Felony, for Class 1 Pain Killers, which Vicodin is in that family....just saying....