Exclusive You prioritize the Blazers free agents

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Draco, Mar 25, 2016.

?

Who should we keep first?

Poll closed Mar 27, 2016.
  1. Allen Crabbe

40.3%
  2. Gerald Henderson

28.4%
  3. Maurice Harkless

23.9%
  4. Meyers Leonard

7.5%
  1. Rhal

Rhal Well-Known Member

UPS
    Every team wants a 2/3 who can be a three and D guy. They seem to be a bot commodity and in high demand. Crabbe is finally looking like that could be his future and he is young enough that a team, especially one who thinks they are a contender, could talk themselves into trading for Crabbe if we want to get ride of him after paying him.

BigGameDamian likes this.
  2. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Henderson is the best...but what will he cost?
    Harkless might be the best option because we desperately need a good SF and he has the natural abilities necessary to become one.
    Meyers will come back at a reasonable price.
    Crabbe has really disappointed. Several weeks back I was excited about his progress, but he's erased all of that excitement and progress.

3. blue9

blue9 Well-Known Member

Wow - I can't believe so many people think Crabbe is the most important.

tester551 likes this.
  4. Tunchi

Tunchi Well-Known Member

Crabbe was so good in the beginning of the season till about January. Since then he has been trash and all the progress he made seemed to vanish. I'll bring him back for cheap but no way I'll resign him for anything north of 10M

5. MAS RipCity

MAS RipCity Mercy, Mercy

Crabbe's been in a two-month shooting slump. I was on-board with "matching any offer," but I think that would be a mistake. I'd love to have him back, but it'd have to be in the Aminu price range.

I'll pass on Leonard. We don't need to spend big money on a player who can only do one thing effectively on offense.

If we don't go after DeRozan or another guard in free agency, I'd like to bring back Henderson if he's willing to come off the bench. We need more reliable players and he's shown the ability to be a consistent force on this team once he was fully healed from his hip injury.

Moe is the one we need to keep. He can play the 3 or the 4, moves extremely well without the basketball, always attacks the glass, and still has room to grow with his shooting.

6. Denny Crane

Denny Crane It's not even loaded! Staff Member Administrator

Never lost a case
    Henderson makes Crabbe a good investment. If you have to rely on Crabbe, you may be in for a let down. The guy is a 2nd round pick, after all, and isn't showing himself to be one of those 2nd round steals. A value pick, no doubt. Henderson is an NBA starting caliber G that gives us a solid 3 man rotation at guard, health permitting. Anything else is gravy.

Plus I think Henderson has played quite a bit of SF for us or in 3 guard lineups.

7. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Crabbe is a prototypical nba wing going through a shooting slump. He's 23 years old...

If anything thus recent slump lowers his asking price. Crabbe should be option 1.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  8. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

Neither can I. I guess I don't see what other people do.

9. VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla Well-Known Member

I guess his defense could improve, but at the moment it's not very good.

Draco likes this.
  10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I think it comes down to what you said in your previous post. "We desperately need a good SF"
    I like Harkless and Crabbe for different reasons. Neither however has shot well enough to lock up the available spot. True that Crabbe has shot well for only a couple of months, but Harkless has never shown he can catch fire from deep. So when forced to choose between them....my guy says Crabbe is the better gamble.

I do see where you can make a case for Harkless (hustle baskets, rebounds, defense) or Henderson (hops, veteran leadership, creating his own mid range shot) but overall I think Crabbe fits in best with CJ and Dame.......a 3 and D wing.

11. oldfisherman

oldfisherman Unicorn Wrangler

Two stats I consider important when evaluating any player are FT% and assists to TO ratio.

In addition to being the much better 3 pt shooter, Crabbe has an edge in the Asst to TO ratio, and a big edge in FT%.

Harkless’s FT% has been hovering around his career average of .580. His best season was .594 a couple of years ago. Crabbe’s carrier FT % average is .845.

I believe a players FT% is a good indicator of his shooting ability compared to other players. Reason; all players shoot FTs under the same conditions, without defensive pressure that can affect the results.

Stats show Harkless’s shooting has not improved over four seasons. It also implies he probably has little chance of showing the big improvement that would be needed to consider him a stating caliber player. He appears to have a ceiling as a limited role player off of the bench.

Crabbe’s overall shooting has improved in his three seasons. Who knows where his ceiling is?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
    UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  12. Fez Hammersticks

Fez Hammersticks スーパーバッド Zero Cool

Phone Psychic
    During his hotstreak it seemed that most of Crabbe's jumpers rimmed in.

At the same age his numbers are virtually identical to Martell Webster.

13. Trackjack

Trackjack Well-Known Member

If I was Myers and Harkless I would take the qualify offer to show that they are worth the big contract when they would be UFA next year. This way the ball is in there hands. Right now I wouldn't neither one a long term contract. Now Crabbe I would give him around Davis and Aminu type contract. Henderson I like I would throw out 13-15 million contract for 3 years.

14. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Martell was a good role player with the Blazers and a starter with the Wizards before injuries took over.

15. Draco

Draco Well-Known Member

Crabbe is a bad defensive player. Might be the worst of our guards and that says something with Damian. Crabbe is certainly inferior to CJ defensively. I have no idea why anyone calls him a 3 + D wing. Maybe some fans look at a players height and use that as the sole judge of defense. Crabbe fouls often, at terrible times. He's in bad defensive positions. He gambles for steals, gives up easy baskets.

Harkless is making me rethink this. I still lean towards Crabbe because he's shown glimpses of elite shooting. It might depend on who we add in free agency. If we add a great shooting wing I'd be more inclined to keep Harkless. If we add an athletic wing with suspect shooting we certainly need Crabbe. Great thing they are restricted free agents so we can keep both!

VanillaGorilla likes this.
  16. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

I have real questions about Harkless.
    He's played in 70 games this season however he's only logged 1240 minutes.
    He looks a step faster than players he's going against, and he's doing a lot of the little things on the court right now.
    Leads me to believe he has more "legs" left at this point in the season due to not having as many minutes as other players.

My question about Hendo is he's in a contract year.
    Old stereotype of players in contract years is they really "get up" for them and you see a drop off in production due to getting paid. But he's not blowing last years stats out of the water like a player in a contract year would/should.

17. H.C.

H.C. Well-Known Member

CJ v Crabbe
    http://www.basketball-reference.com...rabbal01&y2=2016&p2=mccolcj01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Lillard v Crabbe
    http://www.basketball-reference.com...rabbal01&y2=2016&p2=lillada01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

The stats don't really back you up here. Nor does the eye test.
    Yes he makes mistakes at not great times but at worse he's on the same level as both cj/lillard according to all defensive stats.
    The eye test also puts him in the right position defensively more often than not. It's just easier to remember the bad, than the good.

For the heck of it I'll post Henderson v Crabbe too.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com...rabbal01&y2=2016&p2=hendege02&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=

Draco, Scalma and BigGameDamian like this.
  18. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

I agree. Crabbe is solid defensively. He does tend to make stupid fouls, especially on three point attempts, but I have a hard time blaming a guy for being aggressive defensively.

He'll get better/smarter with more experience. I hope.

19. B-Roy

B-Roy If it takes months

Crabbe is a fairly average defender. He's not good and he's not bad. He's young and he makes mistakes, but there's no way he's worse than Damian (LOL) or CJ (lol).

20. HolyBackboard

HolyBackboard 2 Hot 2 Stop It

Been saying Crabbe reminded me a lot of Marty during our podcast throughout the year. All the talent to be an above-average starting 2, but just too inconsistent. I wouldn't break the bank for AC.

Fez Hammersticks likes this.