Young Talent To Aquire

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by King James X3, Apr 29, 2004.

1. King James X3

King James X3 JBB JustBBall Member

Who are some young talented players that you feel Boston should try to aquire during this rebuilding process? My personal feeling is Doc and Danny should be trying to make moves for young players who are currently under the radar. Talent like Drew Gooden, Samuel Dalembert, Dajuan Wagner, etc. These are all guys who show great promise but because of lack of playing time aren't able to display their full potential.

Who are some guys you'd like to see brought into Bean Town?

2. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

Well, from a personal standoint, I'd like to see Drew Gooden in Boston. He's a hard worker and fills a need for us. Can't see any reality in us getting him though.

Plus, the Kansas Connection would be in full swing with Pierce, Gooden and LaFrentz. I'd rather have that than the Kentucky connections we've had in the past, with Pitino's boys.

However, if he's not going to rebuild through the draft, (and I don't think we'll keep all of our picks) then I'm not really sure who we could make moves for yet.

Dalembert could progress well in the coming years, but I'm a little concerned about his frame and ability to add weight to it. Right now, he's a stick and I don't see that changing much, which is pause for concern, becuase we need guys who can hold thier own in the post and not get tossed around.

3. King James X3

King James X3 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting hagrid:</div><div class="quote_post">Dalembert could progress well in the coming years, but I'm a little concerned about his frame and ability to add weight to it. Right now, he's a stick and I don't see that changing much, which is pause for concern, becuase we need guys who can hold thier own in the post and not get tossed around</div>

Dalembert will be a star in this league, mark my words. Sure his frame isn't ideal, but he's a 7 footer who is extremely agile which will help him tremendously on defense. Take Dikembe Mutumbo for instance. He had a similar build and his individual defense was never an issue in his prime, not to mention he's not nearly as athletic as Samuel Dalembert.

Think about this now. Samuel Dalembert has only played two seasons because of an injury last year. He was a rookie in 01-02 where he was never able to get minutes, only 5 minutes per game to be exact. He missed 02-03, but made up for the loss this season with a breakout year. Dalembert averaged 8 points, 7.6 boards, and 2.3 blocks per game in just 26 minutes of action a night. Seeing as this is only his first season getting quality minutes, he is basically going through a rookie season this year because of his injury and lack of playing time.

The guy still has plenty of time to develop, who's to say what kind of player he'll be when he gets 35 minutes a game and finally gets an understanding of NBA basketball. There's simply no limit on this guy's potential...

4. hagrid

hagrid JBB JustBBall Member

Fair Enough King James X3. I can see plausibility in those statements. If you don't mind though, I'm going to temper my enthusiasm, by keeping in mind that Dalembert's progress came at a time where there's not a whole lot of resistance in the post from East teams and He played on a bad Philly Team, where no one spent much time scouting him.

Those aren't to say I think you're points are wrong, but if we're going to paint a full picture, they have to be considerations. How much you choose to consider them is your's alone to decide. Personally, I don't think they carry alot of weight, but some.

Right now, I'm thinking about guys like Rahim and Ratliff, that apparentely may not be resigned by Portland. Those 2 guys are going to get the Blazers alot of trade offers this season.

5. Captain Quicks

Captain Quicks JBB JustBBall Member

Bean town should go after Drew Gooden, Ndudi Ebi, and Dajuan Wagner.
    Drew Gooden- one of the hardest workers in the NBA and still doesnt get much time on a struggling orlando magic team. Under the Radar due to playing time, would fill Boston's dull frontcourt.

Ndudi Ebi- Scored 4 points in two minutes blocked 4 shots in 6 minutes. This guy is underestimated and need's more playing time. Paul Pierce at SG and Him at SF would work wonders for this team. He's an athletic freak like KG.

Dajuan Wagner- A great shooter and born scorer would bring much needed offensive help for Paul Pierce and plays point or 2 gaurd.
    Bostons line up if all these players were brought in for Chucky atkins, Walter McCarty and Ricky Davis.
    PG-Dajuan Wagner/Marcus Banks
    SG-Paul Pierce/Dajuan Wagner
    SF-Ndudi Ebi/Paul Pierce
    PF-Drew Gooden/Ndudi Ebi
    C-Mark Blount/Drew Gooden
    who knows who boston will draft, and i cant quite remember all of bostons players so i just put the ones down that i remembered.

6. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Fair Enough King James X3. I can see plausibility in those statements. If you don't mind though, I'm going to temper my enthusiasm, by keeping in mind that Dalembert's progress came at a time where there's not a whole lot of resistance in the post from East teams and He played on a bad Philly Team, where no one spent much time scouting him.</div>I have officially joined the Samuel Dalembert bandwagon regardless of what conference he's playing in. Boston is part of the weak East that you are talking about. He's still 22 years old so he has plenty of time to fill up his frame as well. I see him as a poor (a poor thin man at that) man's Ben Wallace with his shot blocking and rebounding. He ranked 9th in blocked shots but still only had 26 minutes a game. That stat may not mean much but its still something to take note of. IMO I can't deny his talent regardless of which team/conference he played on.

Anyways, I don't think Philly is willing to let him go at the moment. He was one of the reasons they were able to compete for a playoff spot this year despite the absence of their star player.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Right now, I'm thinking about guys like Rahim and Ratliff, that apparentely may not be resigned by Portland. Those 2 guys are going to get the Blazers alot of trade offers this season.</div>I agree that these guys would make a significant impact in the Green and White but it has a very bad chance of happening. It runs contradictory to what the Celtics are trying to do with their team. They want to be young and develope talent. First of all, bringing in one of these players would mean that they would/might have to trade away one of their youngsters, which is something Danny Ainge would not want to do according to his plan. Second of all Danny Ainge is not aiming for the playoffs and bringing in one of these players would certainly put them there in the weak East.

Boston would be a very strong team if one of these additions were made but that is not the plan as of now.

Regarding the other players mentioned in this thread:

Drew Gooden is not leaving Orlando. I don't think Orlando is going to give up on this guy that easily. Same goes for Wagner and Cleveland.

7. ranter

ranter JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting CourtVision:</div><div class="quote_post">Second of all Danny Ainge is not aiming for the playoffs and bringing in one of these players would certainly put them there in the weak East.</div>

I do not agree with this viewpoint. I don't think Danny cared if they made the playoffs this year. To say that he doesn't want it next year is a bit much.

Also, Danny has already tried trading for Rahim once, I don't doubt that he will try it once again. He likely still has a thing for Brent Barry. Remember too that he was the one that went hard and heavy for Karl Malone before he signed with the Lakers.

He wants good young talent, but I don't believe for a minute that he'll pass on any opportunity to bring in players who are good already, provided its at the right price.

Some will say I have too much faith in Danny, and that's fine with me. I'll also be his biggest critic if he doesn't live up to my expectations.

8. jbbCourtVision

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting ranter:</div><div class="quote_post">I do not agree with this viewpoint. I don't think Danny cared if they made the playoffs this year. To say that he doesn't want it next year is a bit much.</div>
    Thats cool <font size="1">(not everyone is gonna agree on this board. If they did it would make things very boring) </font>If he was playing for a pick this year I do not see why next year is any different. He has stated that even though they made the playoffs this year, it doesn't change the plan, which is to acquire and develope young talent to not only make the playoffs but win a Championship. I think with all of these Paul Pierce trade rumours are surfacing, it just shows that Danny Ainge is staying the course of that plan.

Sure making the playoffs would not be a disappointment to any Boston fan <font size="1">(or a normal NBA fan)</font> but it would run contrary to what Danny has said he wanted to do. I think he's done enough contradicting for one year.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Also, Danny has already tried trading for Rahim once, I don't doubt that he will try it once again. He likely still has a thing for Brent Barry. Remember too that he was the one that went hard and heavy for Karl Malone before he signed with the Lakers.</div>
    Like I stated above Danny Ainge has done things that have gone contrary<font size="1"> (Ex. bringing in Chucky Atkins for Mike James) </font>to what his mission statement is. I would not be surprised if he changed directions regarding Rahim or bringing Barry in. But I'm just going to go with what he says he wants to do. He says wants young players with talent and upside so I'll just believe him...for now.

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">He wants good young talent, but I don't believe for a minute that he'll pass on any opportunity to bring in players who are good already, provided its at the right price.</div>
    Definitely I think any GM would be the same if they were offered a good deal. But is picking up Rahim really going to help his plan out? It will be the same result as this year <font size="1">(first round and out). </font><font size="2">Sure if Rahim came at a good cheap price I don't see why he would pass it up. But the question is: How much is he asking for? My guess is: Too much for Danny's blood.</font>

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Some will say I have too much faith in Danny, and that's fine with me. I'll also be his biggest critic if he doesn't live up to my expectations.</div>
    Ranter I must be the biggest pessimist when it comes to Danny <font size="1">(and his team management skiils) </font>and I am to a fault. But if Danny Ainges vision comes true in the future I would happily eat my words.

9. ranter

ranter JBB JustBBall Member

ahhh shoot, now you are a poster I can disagree with and still respect - well done!

10. jbbCourtVision

^You still disagree with me?? J/K [​IMG]

11. Bank$

Bank$ JBB JustBBall Member

Celtics should go after Antoine Walker!