Youngster Needs to Get PT

Discussion in 'Boston Celtics' started by Shapecity, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Shapecity

Shapecity S2/JBB Teamster Staff Member Administrator

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Perhaps the only way for Kendrick Perkins to evolve from here ? and the young Texan faces a stretch of development as vast as his home state ? is to be left out there.

Let this 6-foot-11 bruiser get the most from his six fouls each night. Let him crease Allen Iverson?s ear again, even if the Celtics center believes that the Philly star responded to his errant elbow Wednesday night with a fake cringe worthy of Olivier or De Niro.

No one has said that Perkins is about to hatch a nightly double-double, but right now the Celtics have to find out what he can produce.
    Mark Blount, with that occasional 20-point tease, is your backup, period.

Perkins, with 12 points and 19 rebounds during Wednesday?s win over Philadelphia, showed a flash of what Blount last produced two springs ago.

So let Perkins lead the NBA in disqualifications. His promise is worth the time, and, unlike his veteran backup, he didn?t need the lure of a new contract ? simply the chance to go tearing after every ball off the rim.

But this is where the job will become testy for Doc Rivers. Staying the course with a young player, especially when a veteran is available, is like dental surgery for most NBA coaches.

Rivers said yesterday that Perkins is his starter until he begins to ?overreach,? especially on offense.

This business of patience will obviously need some work.

?I?m reading Phil Jackson?s book, and he says that ? he hates playing young guys,? said Rivers, who admittedly shares that impulse. ?And one thing he?s right about is that young guys have no sense of urgency. We all feel that way.

?I had a sense of urgency (as a young player) because I wasn?t drafted,? he said. ?Defensive players have a sense of urgency because their game is about getting up on someone and stopping them every night. Older players develop the attitude that this is your shot every game, and you have to make the most of it. I?ve been in locker rooms where the older guys are telling the young guys, ?This is your shot,? and the young guys don?t understand. They think they?re going to be there for the next couple of years.? </div>

Source

2. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

<div class="quote_poster">Quote:</div><div class="quote_post">Perhaps the only way for Kendrick Perkins to evolve from here — and the young Texan faces a stretch of development as vast as his home state — is to be left out there. </div>
    Tony Brown didn't read this article.

"Hmmmm...we're getting killed on the boards right now...and that big guy on the bench had 19 boards last game....hmmmm"

"I'll put in Justin Reed at power forward!"

3. Jerry West

Jerry West JBB JustBBall Member

I don't know why the C's persist with Mark Blount.

What does he bring to the table?

4. Squishface

Squishface JBB Ministering Fools

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jerry West:</div><div class="quote_post">I don't know why the C's persist with Mark Blount.

What does he bring to the table?</div>

Nothing, and fortunately, they don't seem to want to further persist. Thank Goodness. That being the case, you just never know with this whackjob coaching staff. I think Ainge may have had a hand in Blount's continued minutes, but it appears that doesn't matter as much anymore, he just needs to go.

5. Jerry West

Do most C's fans share your view of Blount?

6. HASAN33

HASAN33 JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Jerry West:</div><div class="quote_post">Do most C's fans share your view of Blount?</div>

He was a bum when we signed him to a long term contract. He was a bum then and he is a bum now. I just dont like a player who shows up for a contract year but dont do anything for the rest of their careers.

7. 44Thrilla

44Thrilla cuatro cuatro

I don't mind him that much in a backup role. He's a great scorer who can nail 15 foot jumpshots all game long. It's when you actually need him to rebound and play good defense that causes the problem. But, come on, that stuff is hard work! How much can you expect from a player with such a miniscule contract?

8. hohoyoyoyo

hohoyoyoyo JBB JustBBall Member

is perkins going to start despite him fouling out so early? (not to mention being inconsistent so far in his young starter's career)

i meant...blount sucks...wonder if perkins is going to get a lot of playing time before he fouls out? how many min you guys think perkins going to play?

9. UnLeAsHeD

UnLeAsHeD JBB JustBBall Member

I hope the only reason they are giving major minutes to Blount is to put him in the shop window...Hopefully some team in need of a scoring [non-rebounding] center will take the bait...Golden State Warriors anybody?

10. tinyballer

tinyballer JBB JustBBall Member

You know what the boston celtics are not going to win the nba championships with the vetran crew it has right now. its going to win it by the youngsters they possess. aka Perkins Jefferson Green West and other players. I think they should play those players a lot more and focus on developing them into great players but continue to play rick davis and paul pierce since they attract the fans. but develop the youngsters a lot more so they can reach their potential. also maybe if possible trade the vetran crew for many first round draft picks or if possible young prospects. because the only way u guyz are going to win the championship is with the young players that you have that are not playing as of now.

11. playmaker15

playmaker15 JBB Droppin Dimes

the future of this team looks so great but Doc Rivers is killing it by not playing the future stars like Green Jefferson Perkins and others.

12. tinyballer

tinyballer JBB JustBBall Member

even on the season tickets brochure they said they were ready to develop the future and are not focusing on now

13. Jerry West

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting 44Thrilla:</div><div class="quote_post">
    [​IMG] Trade Blount and Raef.</div>

Who would even consider taking on these two given their contracts? Not even NY would be that daft.

From memory Raef has two more years (including one P/O) at $10M per whilst Blount has five more years with an overall commitment of about $30M.