Your Favorite NCAA Moments?

Discussion in 'Men's College Basketball' started by BigBlueFan, Jul 9, 2006.

1. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

2. SP23

SP23 DA BEARS!

Arizona vs. Illinois - I thought Illinois was done, but then by surprise they came back. It was awesome.

3. Courtking

Courtking Courtking

2004 North Carolina National Champions. That says it all.

Kentucky verses Michigan State was a great game a couple years ago as well...

4. TheFreshPrince

TheFreshPrince JBB JustBBall Member

Nobody has said laettners shot yet, wow.

5. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting TheFreshPrince:</div><div class="quote_post">Nobody has said laettners shot yet, wow.</div>
    Most of us here were still fairly young when that play occured(I was only three)...but there's no doubt that it's one of the best plays of all-time(even though Laettner shouldn't have been in the game)...

6. J_Ray

J_Ray JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting SP23:</div><div class="quote_post">Arizona vs. Illinois - I thought Illinois was done, but then by surprise they came back. It was awesome.</div>

I think bringing this stuff up should be strictly forbidden [​IMG]

My favorite moments are when:

Hampton upset Iowa St.
    Brendan Plavich's halfcourt prayer to win game
    NW St. upset over Iowa
    Salim Stoudamire's shot against OK St.
    Arizona-Gonzaga double OT thriller
    Wake Forest-West Virginia Thriller (Forgot how many OT's [​IMG] )

7. GatorsowntheNCAA

GatorsowntheNCAA Omaha Bound 2010!

8. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

Since it's become so trendy to post YouTube links -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGs71uyLsqo...igan%20state%20

^ That was such a nice run for the Spartans because our core had gone through so much turmoil, and at one point, it looked like we were a longshot for even making the tournament, but then we wound up going to the final four, knocking off powerhouses Duke and Kentucky along the way. The Kentucky game was a thriller, but the Duke game was more satistfying; I think we all know why.

Anyway, aside from that, and all other great MSU moments (believe me, there have been more than a few), I'd say that my favorite college basketball moment was in 1997, when #4 seeded Arizona upset #1 seeded Kansas. For those of you who don't remember, that was the Pierce-LaFrentz days at Kansas, when they dominated the regular season, and this was also one of the first infamous Roy William choke-jobs. Kansas had a chance to win send it into overtime, but LaFrentz clanked a three. A close second to that would be Providence's win over Duke that same year, a.k.a. the Austin Croshere coming out party. At the time, Duke, and moreso the trio of Capel, Langdon, and McLeod, was incredibly overrated all season long, so that made the loss even sweeter.

9. TheFreshPrince

When that nicholas guy from maryland hit that game winner in the first round to avoid the upset was awesome. Sorry i cant remember the specifics, but if you've seen the play, i bet you remember it.

alos when minny made the final four, i was a freaking out until we all found out they cheated. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

11. J_Ray

12. BigBlueFan

BigBlueFan BBW Member

The Taylor Twins' fullcourt pass and dunk was one of the best plays i've ever seen in the NCAA Tournament.

That was supposed to be our year to win it, but UAB's "40 Minutes of Hell" defense was just too much for our guys...

13. Justbringit2422

Justbringit2422 JBB JustBBall Member

My favorite moment ever was Hakim Warrick from Syracuse dunking over some white dude on Utah 3 years ago i believe!! I couldn't find a video, but here's a little description of what you missed...

He fights for position on the low post, and than finally recieves a pass from one of the guards. He is positioned about 5 feet away from the basket. The defender is right behind him, playing him tight. The second Hakim catches the pass, he turns around, jumps a mile high, soars over his defender, and just rocks the rim. Whoaa! He did all that from a stationed position!

14. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Can I Kick It?

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Justbringit2422:</div><div class="quote_post">My favorite moment ever was Hakim Warrick from Syracuse dunking over some white dude on Utah 3 years ago i believe!! I couldn't find a video, but here's a little description of what you missed...

He fights for position on the low post, and than finally recieves a pass from one of the guards. He is positioned about 5 feet away from the basket. The defender is right behind him, playing him tight. The second Hakim catches the pass, he turns around, jumps a mile high, soars over his defender, and just rocks the rim. Whoaa! He did all that from a stationed position!</div>

I think it might have been Notre Dame they were playing, or maybe that was just another one of his dunks, because Hakim was, and still is, famous for those dunks from stationed positions. Unfortunately, he'll probably never be half as dominant in the NBA as he was for the Orangemen, because those dunks are about all he can get away with on the NBA level. In college, he was able to get by as an undersized and skinny post player without any reliable post moves, because he was so long and athletic, but to compete in the NBA, you've got to have more than just length and athleticism.

Speaking of Hakim Warrick and great NCAA moments, his role on the 2003 Syracuse championship team is often overlooked, especially the block he made at the end of regulation on Kirk Hinrich's shot that would have sent the game into overtime. Anthony usually gets most of the credit for that title, but without that block from Warrick, the Jayhawks probably would have been the '03 champs.

15. Midnight Green

Midnight Green NFLC nflcentral.net Member

My favorite moments where the comeback against Arizona in the NCAA tournament a couple years back by the Illini, and the huge game Dee had against the Spartans this season. It seemed like everything was falling for him.

16. Bobcats

Bobcats JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Voodoo Child:</div><div class="quote_post">Speaking of Hakim Warrick and great NCAA moments, his role on the 2003 Syracuse championship team is often overlooked, especially the block he made at the end of regulation on Kirk Hinrich's shot that would have sent the game into overtime. Anthony usually gets most of the credit for that title, but without that block from Warrick, the Jayhawks probably would have been the '03 champs.</div>

Agreed. I don't even think Carmelo could've lead them to the title game without Warrick, let alone win the national championship.

17. TheFreshPrince

Vincent Grier getting first team all big ten! that was awesome, especiall seeing that Illinios had the big 3 guards to compete with.

18. J_Ray

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting UKFan33:</div><div class="quote_post">The Taylor Twins' fullcourt pass and dunk was one of the best plays i've ever seen in the NCAA Tournament.

That was supposed to be our year to win it, but UAB's "40 Minutes of Hell" defense was just too much for our guys...</div>

I remember this game the most because it was UAB's coming out party IMO. I never really heard of them until they beat UW in the first round, 104-102...something like that. It was just flat out insane game, then they beat UK with Donnell and Ronnell with that crazy play. That's one of the finest plays you'll find, it's got to be up there with Sparks' 3. Another memory of UAB in that tourney was when their coach got ejected calling that timeout [​IMG]

19. TheFreshPrince

o, i forgot sparks' 3. that whole play waas unreal. i remember i jumped up on the first attempt, then just kept getting closer and closer to the tv going nuts!!

20. Manhops23

Manhops23 Hi Rim my name is Lebron!

My favorite moment was syracuse beating kansas.