Your opinion on this question.....

Discussion in 'Minnesota Timberwolves' started by Sabretooth, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

If the number one seed is out-of-distance (which is still not a given yet) would you think that it would be unethical to allow ourselves to drop a seed to make it out of the first round? The Blazers did the same thing last year when they dropped their final game on purpose because they didn't want to play us and almost upset Dallas. I know if we drop a seed, then we're forfeiting KG's MVP trophy, but since he's a team player, would it really matter? I'm not saying that this should happen, but as a "what if" scenario. Right now, of the lower 3 seeds, I'd least like to play the Rockets because they have been overacheiving as of late. What do you think?

2. mike18946

mike18946 JBB

If you are good enough It shouldn't matter who you face, tanking so you don't have to face a certain team makes you chumps. What Blazers did last year was a disgrace.

3. Trip

Trip 2000000000000000000000000

Student
    I'm not sure about this. The Timberwolves should try to get a seed higher than drop a few.

4. Rave

Rave JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Trip:</div><div class="quote_post">I'm not sure about this. The Timberwolves should try to get a seed higher than drop a few.</div>

Yeah, they're more than capable of suceeding. The words "Bring it hard." come to mind. The only sad thing to see would be showdowns between awesome teams like them, Spurs, Lakers and Kings in the first round.

5. InNETSweTrust

InNETSweTrust JBB Philippines' Finest

Tanking to get a better chance in the lottery is semi-acceptable. But to avoid certain teams in the play-offs? That makes you undeserving to be there in the first place.

6. Aaron

Aaron JBB JustBBall Member

ideal situation is us at 2 and lakers at 4 in my opinion or us 1 and lakers 3, I think we can beat the lakers this year in a 7 game series but I think they would be the toughest challenge and would rather see them in the WC finals.

7. twolvefan11

twolvefan11 JBB Banned Member

Portland still could make a playoff push and bumb Denver out and Houston could still pass Memphis. It is to early to tell, but if we had the chance, I think I would. I really want out of this first round, and I would do anything to get out of it.

8. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

I can understand your thinking but I dont think you want to start thinking about dropping right now. I was think the same thing But then I said to myself, that if the Wolves start dropping they could free fall all the way to the 4th spot, which would leave you with a matchup right now of Memphis or Dallas. I'll take my chances vs Rockets. They are a stricky offensive team. They might have trouble scoring in big spots in close games which will allow you to pull those games out. And they turn the ball over alot.

9. Timmy-MVP-21

Timmy-MVP-21 JBB JustBBall Member

The rockets ARE NOT a strictly offensive team..You obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about if you say that..The houston rockets..Are a top 3-4 defensive team in the league...They play suffocating defense..They are starting to move the ball..And use yao more..They are a dangerous team when they get hot..If i was the wolves i would be more weary of this team than the memphis or dallas...Yao can cause so many problems and i doubt KG will find an answer for him..Peace

10. iamme

iamme JBB JustBBall Member

dropping down to play a lesser team would be cowardly.

of course there are teams you'd rather face in the playoffs, but to purposely lose to avoid a better team is an admission of fear.

11. Timmy-MVP-21

Timmy-MVP-21 JBB JustBBall Member

Yea..And if they did that i would lose all respect for them..KG wants to prove he's the best?...Let him lead the team past anyone to the second round!

12. Linkin

Linkin JBB JustBBall Member

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Timmy-MVP-21:</div><div class="quote_post">The rockets ARE NOT a strictly offensive team..You obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about if you say that..The houston rockets..Are a top 3-4 defensive team in the league...They play suffocating defense..They are starting to move the ball..And use yao more..They are a dangerous team when they get hot..If i was the wolves i would be more weary of this team than the memphis or dallas...Yao can cause so many problems and i doubt KG will find an answer for him..Peace</div>

Henacy wrote "Stricky" not strictly.Anybody who has watched the Houston play know that they are a great defensive team.

Anyway, I think that any team that loses on purpose should ashamed.It's just disgraceful.They must think they are a really bad team if they lose on purpose to drop a seed to play against a team that they think they have more chance of winning against.

13. Sabretooth

Sabretooth JBB JustBBall Member

If the Kings continue to play how they did against the Nets, we wouldn't have to worry about it. That #1 seed doesn't look as far.

14. Henacy

Henacy JBB The Man like Sam

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting Just-Magic:</div><div class="quote_post">Henacy wrote "Stricky" not strictly.Anybody who has watched the Houston play know that they are a great defensive team.

Anyway, I think that any team that loses on purpose should ashamed.It's just disgraceful.They must think they are a really bad team if they lose on purpose to drop a seed to play against a team that they think they have more chance of winning against.</div>

Good lookin out Just Magic.

15. DDC

DDC JBB JustBBall Member

Actually I think the Mavericks would be the best choice for the first round. They clearly have matchup problems and no D, while the Wolves can usually shut down their best offensive players. Playing the Mavs is not entirely out of the question without tanking either. If the Wolves' streaky play continues we might slip to the 3rd seed and with the Grizz' late surge they might end up at the 5 spot, leaving Dallas 6th. To me that seems an easier matchup than either the Grizz or the Rockets, since the Mavs still have not gelled very well and they have no legit big men under the basket.

Still, tanking is unacceptable. It brings a losing mentality to the team, which we do not need. Last year's Portland act was a disgrace.