Z-man to Dallas

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by Ranger71, Feb 23, 2019.

1. RangersFan

RangersFan Well-Known Member

To me it is kind of splitting hairs really. We got two picks, both of which could be 1st round picks if conditions are met. Worst case we get a middle 2nd rounder this year and a 3rd next year. Would a pick 15-18 spots higher (late 1st versus mid-2nd) be that big of a deal? I don't think so, double so when we got a 3rd as well, and both/either could be 1st round picks.

As for the Grabner comparison, it is same ballpark really. 2nd rounder from a mid team in both deals. In this deal we got a 3rd as well. In that deal we got a prospect, and we'll see on that. And this deal also comes with conditions that could make the picks 1st round picks. Again splitting hairs to me.

I think the return is fine. Not some grand slam mega return, but a good solid return for a 2nd line winger. Two good solid picks, and the 2nd round pick should be in a good spot in round 2 if the Stars don't get past the first round of the playoffs.

Were you expecting a late first and a 2nd for Zucc? Outside of that sort of expectation I don't see much difference here from best case expectations. And I say that while adding hoping for a late 1st was not crazy, but again I don't view a late 1st or a mid-2nd as some major difference, double so with the conditions and the 3rd round pick added in. Adding in the if the Stars make the WCF condition covers us to get a late 1st instead of a late-2nd if the Stars go on a run, so that was very smart by Gorton.

2. kreidertime

kreidertime Well-Known Member

The bottom line is the Rangers ripped off Tampa, Boston and NJ last year. Miller is a schmuck. So basically it was McDonagh for Howden, Namestnikov, Hajek, a first and conditional first. The other deals were so lopsided in our favor it was mind boggling. Lots of teams got embarassed last year with what they gave up at the deadline so I think playoff teams are holding firm on not giving up that much.

Either way if they have 2 first rounders and 3 second rounders, I feel that they will come out with 2 players minimum that will be substantial pieces 4-5 years down the line with a rebuilt team.

3. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

I think the biggest return was always going to be hayes so lets see what happens today and tmo. For what he currently is the return for zucc is ok. I sorta like gorton not waiting till the last second to deal as that's how you get stuck with the player you don't really want.

4. Ranger71

Ranger71 Well-Known Member

Yeah, dealt with less than 48 hrs to go, so it wasn't that far out from the DL. I'm sure he did his best to get what he could. I'm more concerned with Clark reaching in the 2nd-3rd rounds for players like Lindbom, at a position they really didn't need.

5. RangersFan

Mats Zuccarello had a goal and assist in his first game with the Dallas Stars Sunday, but his second game won't come for a while.

He blocked a shot in the waning moments of the second period, and the team tweeted after the game that he is "heading back to Dallas for evaluation, but the early assessment is that he is expected to miss at least 4 weeks."

I feel for him. Hopefully he is back to help them make the playoffs.

6. mrmel29

mrmel29 Well-Known Member

Zucc got hurt in his first game for Dallas and according to the GM will be out at least 4 weeks

7. Ranger71

Gonna be very tight for Dallas now even making the playoffs but we'll see. He really would've helped them solidify a spot. Maybe they make another deal tomorrow.

8. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

I believe Grabner had 30 goals when he was traded which would warrant a first. I agree with the waiting too long and holding onto a player who is not in the team's future plans coming back to bite you. I think Rangers fans know who is going to be gone come the deadline. Should provide an opportunity for young players to get some NHL experience.

9. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

Grabner most certainly did not have 30 goals when we traded him, and Zuccarello outscored him by 19 points and 17 points over the two seasons of Grabner’s contract with us.

10. Ranger71

Sounds like Hayes will come down to Winnipeg or Calgary. I would think SJ might be interested but they have no 19' 1st. Calgary has a few top level young D prospects like Andersson and Valimaki, and Winnipeg could maybe send Petan and a 1st. I don't think they'd deal Vesalainen.

11. kreidertime

Petan sucks until he proves something. If the Jets want Hayes it's a number 1 and Roslovic or they can go fuck themselves. Flames I want a 1, Bennett and Dube.

12. panzerporter

panzerporter Well-Known Member

Yes you're right Prod, Grabner had 25 goals, not 30 when they traded him. Still makes my point seeing Zucc had 11 goals when they traded him, goal scorers bring more back, Mats is a great setup guy. Even the postseason invisible man Rick Nash had ridiculous trade value to Boston.

13. kreidertime

That's because last year teams overpaid for rentals. In fact, GM's have been overpaying for non impact players for years. I believe Hayes is a RFA so his value should be substantially higher.

14. AJakks

AJakks New Member

Agree GMs have been overpaying for rentals but Hayes is actually a UFA at seasons end, not RFA.

15. RangersFan

The return for Zucc was in the same ball park as the return for Grabner (with more upside if either condition is met). Now you may say Zucc is much better than Grabner, so I have an issue with that. But the way Grab played while he was here I think makes it reasonable they were in the same range return wise, and it is also a different year.

With that said, if someone was to say I wanted a guaranteed late 1st, I get it. I would just counter by saying late 1st or mid 2nd I don't see a mega difference.

Let's see what we get for Hayes, I want a 1st for him no doubt.

16. theProdigy223

theProdigy223 Well-Known Member

It's all good. Like I admitted up front I'm probably letting my personal feelings about Zucc affect how I see this trade. I still think the return is underwhelming given what we've seen lately (including Brian Boyle for a 2nd a few weeks ago) but if this was the best offer that was out there, what can ya do? He had to be traded.

Hopefully Gorton hits it out of the park with the Hayes deal, and hopefully he puts something else together as well other than McQuaid (Namenstnikov or maybe a Buchnevich).

17. kreidertime

Wow, that's weird. Said RFA now says UFA for Hayes. LOL

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019