Z not protected for expansion

Discussion in 'Cleveland Cavaliers' started by Glen Infante, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Glen Infante

Glen Infante JBB Trend Setter

Page 2

As much as i pray, theres no way in hell the Bobcats will take Newble and Ollie, The only way to get rid of those two is to trade them.

2. tankster

tankster JBB JustBBall Member

Expansion draft

<div class="quote_poster">Quoting redscoon:</div><div class="quote_post">Z is too risky to dangle out there. If I was the Bobcats, I would snatch him and then trade him before the season starts or just keep him around until the trade deadline during which playoff contenders will be drooling over adding a big man with a top notch low post offensive game and a guy that can block 3 shots a game and grab 10-12 boards.

Ollie or Newble need to go, but I don't see the Bobcats wanting either one unless the Cavs put out some incentives.</div>

That's my thinking as well. As long as we protect what few core players we have, I don't see us as having anything Charlotte is going to be interested in.

The Bobcats are in the best position you could ever imagine. They don't even have to fight another team in this draft. They can afford to get real creative with the latitude they've been given.

My guess is they'll wind up with some promising young players, a wad of future draft picks, and enough cash that they won't even be near the cap.

And I see Z as a Cav until he retires.....Tank

3. jbbCourtVision

jbbCourtVision JBB JustBBall Member

You gotta be joking me. The Cavs would put one of the only competent centres in the Eastern conference available to be picked up by the Bobcats? I don't see that happening whatsoever. He's the reason that they have an advantage over most EAstern conference squads. It won't happen

4. CANT STOP ME

CANT STOP ME JBB Probationary User

This may sound crazy but I think that Z is the hardest center for most Eastern Confrence teams to match up with. Getting rid of Z would take away one of the 4 foundations for the Cavs future success. The others being LeBron,Boozer and McInnis. This could set the Cavs back another season from becoming a major contender in the East.

5. Smoke

Smoke JBB JustBBall Member

Yeah I just dont undrstand why they wouldnt try to resign Z. Although he is a little injury prone centers are hard to come bt in the east. Though lebron might flourish with an athletic center.

6. CANT STOP ME

That is true that LeBron would flourish with a great center but the possibility of getting that kind of center in the upcoming seasons is unrealistic. For now I think Z is the best center that the Cavs are going to get without trading any key players.

7. Vintage

Vintage Defeating Communism...

Its a good decision on behalf of the Cavs part.

Zydrunas is going to make around $14 million next season.

IIRC, the Bobcats will have around $32 million in cap room. Ilgauskas would take up almost half of that. The Bobcats IMO can't afford to 'draft' him.

The Cavs are taking a risk-- but a smart one.

8. CANT STOP ME

Wow i didnt realize his salary was that big after hearing that i guess that the Cavs are protecting 9 players because they know that Z wouldnt be chosen with that salary. Sneaky Move, but a good one.

9. OnTheBreakaway

OnTheBreakaway JBB JustBBall Member

The problem with this move is that the Bobcats could take him and then trade him away to another team. If they are creative they could probably get a couple of decent players that fits there plan. I think the risk of this happening is to big for Cleveland to leave him unprotected.

10. KarmaCav

KarmaCav JBB JustBBall Member

As I bang my head against the monitor as people suggest risking Z again, you have to have think. If our bench is soooo bad and our talent level rather low, how do we have 8 players outside of Z worthy of being protected???

If we had 8 players worthy of protection, we'd be in the playoffs.

There are 3 definate keepers (Z, James and Booz) in this squad, and you could throw McInnis into that mix. The rest however have much work to do.

11. insshc

insshc JBB JustBBall Member

COULD throw in mcinnis? the guy is a keeper!

12. redscoon

redscoon JBB JustBBall Member

Battie, Ollie, Newble, Kapono, and RBB should be the ones under consideration to be left open to the draft. Ollie and Newble are overpaid and locked up for too long so they are obvious. Battie is just a back up, nothing special. He can be replaced. Same for Kapono. RBB, well...do I even have to explain?