Zach Collins 2nd Round

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by GhostOfPGA, Apr 24, 2019.

1. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

I think playing with Dame is a significant factor for Kanter. It's certainly been a big factor for Nurkic. Dame has just carried the team in the playoffs

Zach has been playing more C in the playoffs, and I'd say he's still a project C, at best. Going against Adams and Noel put him at a disadvantage in both experience and physicality. I think he can have little bursts of positive activity but by and large I'd worry about his net impact. He really tapered off in Feb. and March so I'd wonder if he's suffering a little from sophomore-long-season fatigue

If Denver is the opponent, I think Zach will be mismatched against Jokic, Millsap, & Plumlee. Again with experience plus Jokic and Plumlee are just much stronger. Maybe his length can bother Millsap a little, but all 3 of those Denver bigs have high drawn-foul rates and that's Zach's defensive weakness

2. riverman

riverman Writing Team

When Nurk went down our bench took a big hit...Enes leaving the bench mob was a game changer for the B squad....at this point Meyers pretty much has to be the backup against bigger centers.....if it were my call I'd start Meyers and Chief at this point and bring Zach and Enes in off the bench....especially if Enes shoulder is an issue...Zach and Enes balance each other on both sides of the court.

swish3 and Dougnsalem like this.
  3. kjironman1

kjironman1 Well-Known Member

My point exactly

4. kjironman1

Let’s see what happens to Nurkic if he has to play the same minutes as Turner?
    Situations and circumstances change.
    The plus minus stat is quite possibly the worst stat out there. Even worse than Per 36.

5. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

I agree! Remembering the Jan 30 UTA Jazz excellent performance by Meyers as a starter, I have waited for another 4 of 5 swish3 game to go with his 10 of 13 record for NBA Playoffs. Meyers again played well in the SAC Kings last game of the season scoring 19 points with 11 rebounds. Let's rely on him for at least 3 swish3s per game in Round 2.

kjironman1 and riverman like this.
  6. GhostOfPGA

GhostOfPGA The late great Paul Allen

Zach stepped up massively over the last two games of the series, truly played a vital role in beating the Nuggets.

7. PHXBlazer1

PHXBlazer1 Well-Known Member

8. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Zach had very strong 2nd round especially on the defensive side. He had 9 blocks shots the last two games. He had there going deep in the paint and usually pass when see Zach in the area. He continued to bother Jokic and Millsap shot. He hit timely 3 in this game and continue to hit his free throws. Zach is improving every game and now got at least 4 games to continue to prove his game. He starting to make it hard on Stotts to keep him off the floor. Only thing got him tonight was foul trouble and no help by the referees that blow two calls. I am sure he will be the starter at the 4 next from day one. Now the question is Stotts going to have the common sense to start him the series against Golden States.

BonesJones, Wizard Mentor and borim69 like this.
  9. swish3

swish3 Well-Known Member

Zach with 7 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 blocks was a significant force in the DEN Game 7 win who is poised to make significant contributions in the WCF to beat GS Warriors. He has shown that he plays well giving a potent big twin towers lineup with both Enes and Meyers to counter GS bigs. He is playing determined basketball despite the scratch on his forehead. Does anyone know what is the cause of the forehead injury?

10. James lamphear

James lamphear Well-Known Member

Zach defense stats are pretty good 106.8 and his DBMP 5.2. You can see his offensive improving 112.4 and OBMP is -1.5. His has much improved from last year playoffs.

11. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

Change of tune now?

Dougnsalem and dviss1 like this.
  12. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

Hmmm I think starting Zach might be a good idea. I’m thinking it may not happen Game 1 though. Stotts is going to see if Aminu can turn it around. Also having Zach come off the bench is not horrible. They just need to put him in the game earlier if Aminu is off. There is no room for error in the WCF

Dougnsalem and dviss1 like this.
  13. Sedatedfork

Sedatedfork Rip City Rhapsody

I thought it was from the BS charge he got when he catches the ball in the paint and a Nugget jumped into his landing zone.

14. kjironman1

Different Matchup. This year Stotts has started Aminu. Believe me when i tell you i have had enough of Aminu as the Blazers starting PF. That said.... You don't change your starting lineup when you get to the WCF's. You go with what you know and make in game adjustments just like you watched in the last series against Denver. GS is a totally different team.

15. ripcity67

ripcity67 Active Member

All I know is that from what I have seen of Collins in the 2nd round shows me why we went after him in the draft. Clearly the starting PF next year. His defense and BBIQ are very high. Also dives to the open spot in the lane and has soft hands to catch the ball, will learn to finish a bit stronger.

16. TorturedBlazerFan

TorturedBlazerFan Well-Known Member

Baby Daddy
    I really liked what I saw from Zach, but I also believe that was kind of a match up problem for our normal starters. Aminu and Harkless just could not handle Milsap. Zach is taller and longer and made things tougher for him because Milsap isn't really a threat on the perimeter, he's a decent shooter but he's not great at putting the ball on the ground. I hope Zach keeps growing up but if KD plays I think Aminu / Harkless will be needed to help slow him down if slowing him down is even possible...

Zach needs to get some respect from the refs can't keep having 4-5 fouls in what feels like 10-15 minutes. For a young player, he did great though.

17. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

This aged well!

HailBlazers and GoBlazersGo like this.
  18. Eastoff

Eastoff But it was a beginning.

Terry will keep the same starters the rest of the play offs unless one gets hurt. Moe and aminu will check out of you send them that message.

19. illmatic99

illmatic99 formerly yuyuza1

Zach is growing up.

Still needs to stop committing stupid fouls. But we are a positive every time he plays. This is massive for our future.

20. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

Pretty sure it was Voldemort.