Zach Collins in January

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Wizard Mentor, Jan 26, 2018.

1. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

I would support trying to get two late 1sts for Napier, Vonleh, and Aminu, then using one of those late 1sts for Tyreke and Brooks (MEM wants a 1st) and the other with our picks (2018, 2020, 2022?) and Nurk to get a star PF (Someone like Griffin, not Love)

A lineup of
    Lillard / McCollum
    McCollum / Turner
    Evans / Brooks
    Griffin / Collins
    Davis / Reed

That's a nice lineup.

2. Wizard Mentor

Wizard Mentor Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    I don't want to speak for someone else, but I think that's just the point. Hindsight isn't 20/20 when you're a Zags fan and your idea is "always get the Zags guy." In fact, hindsight does you no good at all.

3. MickZagger

MickZagger Well-Known Member

UPS
    CJ. But, its not that wide of a margin. Olynyk is one of the most versatile big men in the league.

4. MickZagger

UPS
    Unfortunately the daily grind of the NBA while being an insulin dependent diabetic was too much to handle. Hasn't really been done before. From stories I heard he would dominate in practices. Even Kobe called him one of the fiercest competitors he ever faced. He showed flashes in his rookie season, just couldn't put it all together.

Blazer_Hippie likes this.
  5. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    mook and BBert like this.
  6. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Personally, unless that versatility makes you a superstar level player, being an elite scorer makes a sizable gap in and of itself.

I think with a player like CJ or Lillard, you put a post who is strong on the screen-and-pop or screen-and-roll or a top-of-the-line rim protector, that player is more valuable than a player who is the jack of all trades and the master of none.

Versatility might be nice, but elite level shot-creators/scorers are harder to find.

Boob-No-More likes this.
  7. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    Wizard Mentor likes this.
  8. MickZagger

UPS
    I love CJ, so this is hard for me to argue. But thats completely untrue. The league is filled with guys who can score. In my mind, there's not much difference between CJ and guys like JR Smith, Nick Young, Lou Williams, Jamal Crawford....I could list on and on. Being able to create your own shot is for sure a commodity, but I wouldn't say its too hard to find. A 7footer who can guard 4 different positions and can put the rock on the floor and create for himself and teammates is harder to find. Olynyk's defense blows CJ's out of the water as well.

https://www.hothothoops.com/2017/9/...t-james-johnson-hassan-whiteside-luke-babbitt

9. PCmor7

PCmor7 Generational Poster

Saying this for years
    Why does a guy like JR Smith stick around as long as he has if he offers nothing but being able to score? Because scorers are so valuable.

You can play all the great defense you want. If you don't have a guy or two that can put the ball in the hoop, who can't create a good scoring opportunity against great defense or when a play breaks down, you lose, more often than not. Unless you are arguing that Olynyk is an elite level defender; that's the only case I think changes things.

But then we've moved goalposts, because what I said (or meant to say, if I wasn't clear) was versatility in and of itself, doesn't close the gap on a guy being an elite scorer.

BonesJones likes this.
  10. bodyman5000 and 1

bodyman5000 and 1 Lions, Tigers, Me, Bears

Chris Dudley? I don't remember if he was on insulin

11. BonesJones

BonesJones https://www.youtube.com/c/blazersuprise

Of course not, but people are the same way with former Ducks. There's bias but you're also educated on that player by way of being a fan.

12. handiman

handiman Well-Known Member

It was clear that Morrison was an emotional wreck when he broke down crying while the last game of his college career was still winnable. Anything he didn't overcome after that was just an excuse for weaknesses he had already shown.

13. mook

mook The 2018-19 season was the best I've seen

Buy a recipe binder at CookbookPeople.com
    Interesting. If you expand it out to anybody under 24 this year, he's 27th. Every hyped young player in the league is on the list above him. Maybe I'm starting to fall back in love with Collins.

Also, today I learned Giannis is only 23. Fuck, man. That guys is going to be tearing up the league for forever.

SIeepwalker likes this.
  14. Wizard Mentor

Master of Xen Foro
    Well, my stat wasn't completely random. I looked at a couple of rookie rankings online and thought "they're (mostly) all playing on bad teams." So, I thought
    I'd look at +/- which should rate some of those rookies lower, and sure enough, they do.

15. Boob-No-More

Boob-No-More Why you no hire big man coach?

That's not really an individual stat. It's HIGHLY team dependent.

Look where Donovan Mitchell (101), Kyle Kuzma (136), Devin Booker (152) and Lauri Markannen (154 of 157) are on that list. Do you really believe Booker and Markannen are the 6th worst and 4th worst players under 24 in the entire league? Their ratings are a reflection of the fact that they are both playing big minutes on shitty teams.

BNM

16. Boob-No-More

Olynyk is a decent player, but he is a career 6th/7th man. Nothing wrong with that, but C.J. is a significantly above average starter at a position that is in high demand due to a current shortage of quality players at that position.

The whole can Dame and C.J. coexist argument has been beaten to death, but the fact is, whether we keep him, or trade him, we're lucky to have C.J. He has significantly more value, both on the court and as a trading piece than Olynyk.

BNM

BBert and SIeepwalker like this.
  17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

So we’ve reached the stage where Kelly Olynyk is in the same ballpark as CJ?

CJ is better, and more valuable, and yes, by a wide margin. The fuck?

H.C., AFully22, BBert and 1 other person like this.
  18. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

If we'd had Olynyk, would we have been less likely to re-sign Meyers? If so, does that make up the gap in value between KO and CJ?

19. BBert

BBert Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Selfless Public Servant
    No. It's not about the differential between bench players. Basketball, with only five players on the floor at a time, is about having the best player. In this hypothetical, that's CJ, and it's not close.

:cheers:

Boob-No-More likes this.
  20. Boob-No-More

Well, if you want to play that game, if we had Olynyk, would we have drafted Collins?

Regardless, if we had Olynyk today, he'd be redundant and not fill a position of need. We have others who can play back up 4 and 5 just fine. We don't have anyone else who could fill C.J.'s role as a significantly above average SG.

BNM