Zednik's Throat Slashed by Skate Blade

Discussion in 'NHL General' started by ghoti, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ghoti

ghoti A PhD in Horribleness

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O1xQM1LTGK0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O1xQM1LTGK0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XkdH5ECc9_A&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XkdH5ECc9_A&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Link.

This is the scariest thing that can happen in sports. Completely terrifying.

A similar thing happened to one of my favorite players ever, Clint Malarchuk.

I hope this turns out OK and Zednik recovers fully. Thank goodness for the terrific Buffalo medical staff. He could easily have died right on the ice.

2. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

Thats some scary stuff, right there. I don't watch hockey, but I can imagine how dangerous the sport is, considering that they can tackle each other like its football or something. Getting cut by a skate blade is the worst.

3. ghoti

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/maQuHpl7vM0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/maQuHpl7vM0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This also happened in Buffalo. A terrible coincidence.

<font size="3"><font color="#ff0000">WARNING -- NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!!</font></font>

4. NJNetz

NJNetz BBW Banned

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ghoti @ Feb 10 2008, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/maQuHpl7vM0&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/maQuHpl7vM0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

This also happened in Buffalo. A terrible coincidence.

<font size="3"><font color="#ff0000">WARNING -- NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH!!</font></font></div>

Oh boy. Thats what I'm talking about, damn. As I was watching the video, I began to squirm knowing that some unlucky guy is about to get it bad.

5. Chutney

Chutney MON-STRAWRRR!!1!

I saw that in the highlights and that Malarchuck play was the first thing that came to mind. Thank god he looks to be in stable condition. Those type of plays just scare the hell out of me.

6. o.iatlhawksfan

o.iatlhawksfan ROFLMFAO!!!!

that's some very scary stuff, but I heard he was going to be okay, thank goodness.

7. M Two One

M Two One Halló Veröld!

Student
    This is very eerie considering this same freak injury happening again in Buffalo. Very similar incident too with an upended player. No matter what side you're on you have to hope for the best for RZ, hes a great father and a great player.

8. pegs

pegs My future wife.

This shit is nuts. I almost puked when I watched the second video. It was freaky as hell

9. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pegs @ Feb 11 2008, 02:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>This shit is nuts. I almost puked when I watched the second video. It was freaky as hell</div>
    Same man. That is so close to dying as you can get on ice.

Richard is one of my favourites so I hope he's fine an will be on the ice showing what a warrior he is.

10. Big Frame

Big Frame Well-Known Member

omg, thats crazy crazy bad. I hope he gets better soon

11. Universe

Universe Hall of Fame

Another two got hit in the past two days. Ethan Moreau just minutes ago right above his eye and a ref that had to get 40 stiches.

12. ghoti

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Zednik continued what some termed a remarkable recovery Tuesday, when his condition was upgraded to good and he was moved out of the intensive care unit at Buffalo General Hospital. That was just two days after Jokinen's razor-sharp skate blade sliced the 32-year-old forward's neck, cutting his carotid artery and stopping just shy of his jugular vein.</div>

Link.

Man, was that ever close to being an epic disaster.

As it was he lost a third of the blood in his body.

13. agoo

agoo Member

I'm very glad, but also somewhat shocked that this doesn't happen more. Necks and wrists are probably the least protected areas of the body for a hockey player, but somehow, they don't get slit regularly. The Malarchuck injury is nasty. In the art center on campus here, there's a large picture of that and its just unsettling to look at. You can see the puddle and the spray coming out of his neck.

There was a player in Sweden, Bengt Akerblom, who died from a throat slash in the mid 90s. I can't find much on that. I'm not looking for a video, I'm just wondering if they require neck guards as youth hockey does in the States. I'm waiting for the day when the NHL wants the same thing.

Another interesting note is that the doctor who dealt with Zednik that day was the same doctor who dealt with Kevin Everett when he was nearly paralyzed. That doctor is good.

14. hustler

hustler Revving up the Engine

God bless.

15. ghoti

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Sonya Noor, M.D., released a statement Thursday saying that Zednik continues to improve and "should be discharged sometime over the next 48 hours."

Zednik was moved out of the intensive care unit to a private room on Tuesday.

Zednik had his carotid artery nearly severed in the accident, but doctors are optimistic that Zednik will make a full recovery and possibly resume his career as early as next season.</div>

Link.

Zednik is a lucky man. Great job by the medical staff at the arena and the doctors at Buffalo General.

I will consider myself an honorary "Zedhead" next year when Richard hits the ice and resumes his playing career!