A heretical thought / And something about Orlando

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by Bingo Bango, May 24, 2023.

1. tykendo

tykendo Don't Tread On PDX

Exactly! It's about multiple moves, for which Joe has said needed to happen, and why all the need for flexibility had to happen. Now , i'm on board with drafting at #3 after feeling like it had to be traded, but i feel another deal to get a very good veteran like DeMar DeRozan is a necessity. And adding a quality veteran player to the bench. I think acquiring DeMar could also be involved in a package to free up future draft capital, which can help facilitate more moves to enhance the roster.
    There are no superteams. Dame is a very special talent. But he needs size around him . Add another 2 way wing that actually can shoot and play defense ( Miller?), and add a 2 way vet like DeRozan who is one of the best mid range shooters in the game. He also gets to the FT line a ton. Then a marksmen potentially through trade of future pick and this team starts to look very different, and potentially lethal.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  2. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

I disagree. GMs say all kinds of things, and they also change their minds. Whatever the case, it’s a subject worth discussing. I’ve seen multiple reports that teams are waiting to see what Portland does with Lillard. Woj reported it’s the single most important event this off-season. All the other GMs have heard what we’ve heard, and yet they’re waiting to see what Portland actually does. When Cronin said they were “all-in” on keeping Lillard, he may have been spouting the company line, or he may have been overly optimistic about what they could get. Yes, Portland may keep Lillard, or they may go in another direction. It’s unknown so far, and worth talking about.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    BIG Q likes this.
  3. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Is there ever going to be a need for a rebounder, banger down low? With all of these wings we will need two basketballs and shoot 75% because we will have no size or ability to rebound at all. But playing four wings with Lillard would be interesting to watch for a while. And no, Grant is not a rebounder. He is a wing.

ebott, STOMP and Phatguysrule like this.
  4. tykendo

I think Joe and his staff will make multiple moves instead of putting all their eggs in one basket.

They've said as much. But they have to get the #3 pick right. Meaning whether it's Scoot or Miller, that pick has to reap rewards immediately. Now i could see where Scoot could work., if you acquire a DeMar DeRozan with another move. Nurk, Grant, DeRozan, Sharpe, and Dame starting 5. Scoot , Watford, Thybulle, Eubanks and an acquired marksmen as second 5.

But i think a starting unit of Nurk, Miller, Grant, DeRozan, and Dame is better. Sharpe in 6th man role.

5. PtldPlatypus

PtldPlatypus Let's go Baby Blazers! Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Then it stands to reason that I probably wasn't referring to you.

6. tykendo

I guess i'm counting on Nurk, I know, to be the double double guy he can be. That's why Miller , to me, should be the pick if available.

Phatguysrule likes this.
  7. tykendo

Miller , next to Nurk, has potential for 18 to 20 rebounds per. game consistently .

8. Bingo Bango

Bingo Bango Well-Known Member

And yet you lumped me in with them.

9. tykendo

Nurk , a big 6-11, Miller 6 - 9, Grant 6 - 8 , is a nice sized frontcourt.

10. PtldPlatypus

I lumped nobody in with anyone else. I simply explained the usage of the term "hater". You inferred any connection to yourself.

e_blazer and Phatguysrule like this.
  11. Phatguysrule

Phatguysrule Well-Known Member

We definitely need rebounding. Honestly, that's the main reason Nurk is so valuable to us.

BIG Q, CJ_is_Gone and Pinwheel1 like this.
  12. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

If we were to get Miller instead of Scoot, I am fine with. But he is a wing as well. I seriously have no idea if he can be relied upon to be a primary rebounder like Nurk, who is always injured, unreliable and pouty. Fixing our center position and getting a rebounding, defending PF are high on my list and can be addressed via free agency, TPE or trade of Nurk, Nas, Ant.

13. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I just don't think that will happen. IMO Scoot will either be gone by the time we pick or we will take him. I can't see him slipping to 4th.

Phatguysrule, BIG Q and AmirIcon like this.
  14. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

geeeezuzz...If Orlando is willing to trade both 6 & 11 for Simons, I don't much care what else they send. Gary Harris is fine; I prefer Bol Bol rather than Anthony though

Simons for #6 + #11 + Harris + Bol...sign me up

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
  15. BIG Q

BIG Q Well-Known Member

Agreed, I was illustrating that I have no idea which player between Miller/Scoot they will select. I am fine with either as we have no control over the situation. In the post I was referring to, the subject of Millers rebounding abilities were the discussion. I have no idea if Miller can be relied upon as a good rebounder.

Pinwheel1 likes this.
  16. Phatguysrule

With this as an option I wonder what kind of 3-team deals we could work. Opens up a world of possibilities...

BIG Q likes this.
  17. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    In my generally worthless opinion, the only way the Blazers switch from building around Dame is if it proves infeasible to do so this summer. If they get to the point where the options they have available in the way of trades for an impact player just don’t provide the core they want, and they and Dame agree that it’s just not going to happen, then they would likely switch tactics and find a good deal for him.

Bingo Bango, BIG Q and Phatguysrule like this.
  18. PtldPlatypus

If Cronin could pull off that deal, I'd be completely floored.

19. e_blazer

e_blazer Rip City Fan

Consultant
    Just curious; what do you think the Blazers would have to gain by saying that they are fully committed to rebuilding around Dame and then, perhaps after reading all of the brilliant advocacy around this place about trading him, suddenly announce, “Hey, we were just kidding”?

20. Phatguysrule

I would agree. However, I think that's highly unlikely. I don't think Dame is demanding a team that will be favored to win a championship. In fact, I don't think there is an opportunity to deal him into that situation without significantly hurting our future.

I think he just wants the opportunity to be in the mix, rather than missing the playoffs or first round and out for the rest of his career.