Chauncey Billups Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by HailBlazers, Nov 21, 2021.

1. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Love this guy.

Screenshot_20211121-103119~2.png

2. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Holds players accountable, makes adjustments, tries to get everyone involved as much as possible, pumps confidence into younger players. Still too many ISO CJ/hero ball but I’m confident he’s not a fan of those plays either and will adjust as the season goes on.

3. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Chauncey is going to be a great great coach and I'm impressed with the staff he's put together so far. It's not easy to take a long standing playoff team on as a rookie coach with pressure to win now...those jobs usually go to lottery teams. I like that he won't burn a challenge until the end of a game and I like that he is using the rotations to match the game instead of sticking to the same rotation timeframe....he's not afraid to pull a starter if the bench is rolling...I love his handling of the media as well....he's a super likeable guy. Fits Portland really well in my view. It's like we got the number 1 pick in the rookie coaches draft!

4. Chris Craig

Chris Craig (Blazersland) I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

I will say he needs to figure out how to use Nurk better.

And winning on the road

But, he's looking good as a coach.

Natebishop3 likes this.
  5. riverman

riverman Writing Team

Chauncey recently said he's actually learning how to use Larry Nance ...Nance only played 9 minutes in a road loss before he said that....he didn't know if he was a 4 or 5 ...now he knows and when Nurk picks up two fouls in 4 secs at the end of the game, you don't want the other team closing the gap at the freethrow line.....I thought it was genius to finish with Nance after those two dumb fouls..fresh legs are fresh legs...

swish3, Haakzilla and blazerkor like this.
  6. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

The fact that he'll play Nas and Ant already puts him ahead of Stotts.

7. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

I think he is. I just don't think Nurk thinks so. Last night was about perfect IMO. (5-6 with 11 boards and 3 assists and only 1 turnover) I will take that every night. (While playing some D)

I guess 6-8 or 7- 10 would be doable and better, but I think those stats in 23 minutes is Chauncey using Nurk well. Nurk gets into trouble when he tries to do too much. He just needs to play smarter sometimes.

8. Orion Bailey

Orion Bailey Forum Troll

I have a feeling this thread is going to have many many pages.
    Couldn't me more optimistic About the coaching future.

HailBlazers likes this.
  9. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

Billups is doing a nice job with this roster. 52% winning percentage would be 3rd lowest in 9 years, but he's still learning on the job and will get better.

Hope he is able to get us back to the WCF!

Fairly-Hard and HailBlazers like this.
  10. Hoopguru

Hoopguru Well-Known Member

I liked it when he had RoCo, Larry & Naz on the court together.

HailBlazers, Pinwheel1 and riverman like this.
  11. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

He’s got a decade.

12. Rastapopoulos

Rastapopoulos Well-Known Member

Ballin'
    ...assuming Olshey remains GM all that time (shudder)

13. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

If the roster never got significantly better, that would be more than fair to give him an additional 3 years than his predecessor. I think he's doing a fine job!

14. Mr. Robot

Mr. Robot Well-Known Member

chauncey billups has spoken a lot about improving our defense and weve seen flashes of it on the home court so far, but its been only 9 home games, so ill wait for bigger sample size, but when it comes to road games, weve not seen flashes of that defense, if anything, its been atrocious, but its been only 8 road games, so bigger sample size is needed here too and its too early to make conclusions

id like to know what chauncey billups means by "accountability", cause ive seen no accountability whatsoever when it comes to dame lillard & cj mccollum, they just do the same thing on offense they did with terry stotts, they have absolute freedom to do whatever they want, even when theyre playing bad, they just keep on doing the same thing over and over... when dame was in a shooting slump, chauncey shouldve said to him: "dame, 3-pointers are not falling, dont force it, just play within the flow of the game, it will come around, focus more on getting other guys involved", but dame just kept on chucking 3-pointers and lost us couple of games... or when cj mccollum cant make buckets, he needs to tell him: "cj, shots are not falling, take a step back, get other guys involved, play within the flow of the game, dont force it"

hes been speaking about the offense too, but he either gave up on idea how he wants this team to play, which makes no sense, he shouldve just kept rolling with it and give it time to work and if it doesnt work, we can always revert to iso bball, that wont go anywhere for sure... or dame lillard & cj mccollum havent bought in and he was forced to give up on it, which sounds terrifying... its been way to small sample size to give up on that kind of offense... nurk & roco are absolute non factors on offense

chauncey sure talks a lot, but id like to see him implement things hes been saying, im not sure hes been doing it so far, although its early days, so ill give him the benefit of the doubt

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    KSF-ERIC likes this.
  15. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

if you wanna play semantics, Stotts got 9 seasons.

16. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

To get to the WCF? I thought he made it on his 7th season.

17. Scalma

Scalma Well-Known Member

Ok sure. His highlight in 9 seasons as a coach was one WCF appearance and a sweep. Real high bar he set for Billups.

18. Tince

Tince Well-Known Member

I would be willing to bet Billups doesn't get to multiple conference finals while in Portland, but I certainly hope I'm wrong. And not because Billups is a bad coach, I don't think that at all.

Many said coaching is what has been holding us back and Stotts was very bad. So even if Billups if average, we are lock to get to the 2nd round this year, I'd think.

19. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

20. SheedSoNasty

SheedSoNasty Well-Known Member

I saw that. Looked like he was saying something along the lines of “F yeah”