Dame asks for trade (And there it is)

Discussion in 'Portland Trail Blazers' started by ABM, Jun 9, 2023.

1. blazerkor

blazerkor Well-Known Member

Honestly it's not hard to see from Dame's point of view why he would be pushed to his breaking point. I'm sure Dame thinks any team would give him the max they could. However this team asked him to sit when he was ready to play at the end of the 2021-22 season most likely with the promise of using the pick gained to upgrade the team's veteran talent, then again in 2022-23 when Dame was putting up the best numbers of his career the team asked him to sit with the promise of using the pick gained through tanking in a trade for better veteran talent.

I don't understand why people keep pointing to a supermax extension as a goodwill gesture from the team to a guy who made second team All-NBA, that shit is expected. What was likely promised when that extension was signed was the team urgently using whatever capital they had to build a win now team around Dame. Joe has said as much and has said that he failed in doing so. I don't know why this shit is even debated at this point. The team didn't do what they told Dame they'd do and Joe understood why Dame requested a trade. The fucked up thing is where Dame only gives Joe one team to trade him to and through his agent makes that public but as LaMarcus was alluding to the only reason Dame is being irrational is because he feels like he was pushed past his breaking point.

I don't think that's conjecture on the part of LaMarcus and I don't think it takes any stretch of the imagination.

SlyPokerDog, Whyachi and HailBlazers like this.
  2. Mediocre Man

Mediocre Man Mr. SportsTwo

I think some people point to the supermax contract as a goodwill gesture because they feel if the team gives you a contract you should honor it and if you weren’t planning on that then don’t sign it. OR, if you became frustrated then give the team that rewarded you with it a better opportunity than demanding one team. The NBA agrees with those people

Phatguysrule, BIG Q, Eastoff and 3 others like this.
  3. ant

ant egg

Yep, get that he felt frustrated that they didn’t do a better job building a competitive team around him. But I’m with the camp that thinks all he can reasonably ask for is to be traded to a team that can contend.

blazerkor likes this.
  4. BigGameDamian

BigGameDamian Well-Known Member

5. blazerkor

I'm with you on everything after "OR".

6. TheGoldRanger

TheGoldRanger Well-Known Member

No thanks. I’d rather have Scoot run the show.

7. HailBlazers

HailBlazers RipCity

Same. But Maxey is great value..

BIG Q likes this.
  8. UKRAINEFAN

UKRAINEFAN Well-Known Member

un-retired
  9. wizenheimer

wizenheimer Well-Known Member

10. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

This is from a Miami Heat site:

https://allucanheat.com/2023/09/13/tyler-herro-things-improve-never-change/

• Herro is 6’5, but his negative wingspan and slight frame decrease his defensive potential. He lists at 195 pounds and it is far too easy for the offense to create a mismatch. The 23-year-old does not have the foot speed or quickness to defend on the ball, but he gets bullied by larger players.

• Tyler Herro is not going to blow past his defender and get to the rim. He does not have a lightning-quick first step and struggles to create space off the dribble. It leads to some head-scratching turnovers and too many mid-range jumpers, but Herro is not an elite athlete.

blazerkor likes this.
  11. blazerkor

I'm not going to cut and paste the entire article but I will with the trades.

Lillard takes his talents to South Beach

Miami Heat get: Damian Lillard, Jusuf Nurkic

Portland Trail Blazers get: Tyler Herro, Kyle Lowry, Jaime Jaquez Jr., Nikola Jovic, first-round picks in 2027 and 2029, first-round swap rights in 2028 and 2030.
    -- Tim Bontemps

Resolving the NBA's two outstanding trade sagas

Philadelphia 76ers get: Damian Lillard, Terance Mann, Norman Powell and Robert Covington

Portland Trail Blazers get: Furkan Korkmaz, Tyrese Maxey, Jaden Springer, Nicolas Batum, Amir Coffey, Marcus Morris Sr., 2028 and 2030 first-round picks (from LA Clippers)

LA Clippers get: James Harden and Tobias Harris
    -- Kevin Pelton

Bayou backcourt reunion for Lillard

New Orleans Pelicans get: Damian Lillard, Jusuf Nurkic

Portland Trail Blazers get: Zion Williamson, Dyson Daniels, Kira Lewis Jr., Larry Nance Jr. and Naji Marshall
    -- André Snellings

Lillard as Kawhi 2.0?

Toronto Raptors get: Damian Lillard

Portland Trail Blazers get: O.G. Anunoby, Chris Boucher, Thad Young, Gradey Dick and two first-round picks
    -- Andrew Lopez

There is analysis from each of the writers who propose these trades and then Bobby Marks gives his two cents about all of them but you're not missing out on much.

UKRAINEFAN likes this.
  12. Pinwheel1

Pinwheel1 Well-Known Member

Best option from above:

1) New Orleans (but it won't happen)
    2) Toronto
    3) Miami

CJ_is_Gone and blazerkor like this.
  13. CJ_is_Gone

CJ_is_Gone Well-Known Member

Despite the lack of athletic ability, Herro still manages to be less of a negative player on teh court.

14. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

How do we end up with 2027 and 2029 picks? I thought the only ones that are potentially available are 2028 and 2030.

BIG Q and blazerkor like this.
  15. blazerkor

Yeah that deal is so shitty and he just throws Herro into the mix of Scoot, Ant and Shaedon without acknowledging that four of our five most valuable players would be guards Poorly constructed. This is the biggest story in the NBA and the writing and reporting about it has been fucking lazy and incompetent.

BonesJones and Natebishop3 like this.
  16. Natebishop3

Natebishop3 Don't tread on me!

So many members of the media are just flat out lazy. Every time I hear one of them whinge about the salary cap and call any fans who understand the cap a bunch of nerds, I just roll my eyes. It's pathetic when people who aren't even paid can do your job better than you can. It's not even that hard to do a tiny bit of research on cap rules and the CBA. It's all readily available online and there's a lot of resources to help explain it. They're just not putting in the work to understand their job on a basic level.

riverman, BonesJones and CJ_is_Gone like this.
  17. blazerkor

Yeah this isn't always right but if they would just use this tool:
    https://fanspo.com/nba/trade-machine

Then double check on pick availability here:
    https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

They would honestly never have to look like such dumbasses again.

CJ_is_Gone likes this.
  18. BassPlaya

BassPlaya Puntificator

Shop Owner
    Wait till ya'll find out that NBACentral is actually a weird dude living in his mom's basement. Right next to his liquid cooled gaming PC, is 3 months of pizza boxes and empty Red Bull cans

Whyachi likes this.
  19. Samuel

Samuel James “Hollywood” Robinson

I chortled. Well-done.

BassPlaya likes this.
  20. BankTeller

BankTeller Well-Known Member

But now you’re stuck having to find a team that wants Maxey. Not saying that would be hard to do at all, but weighing out the pros and cons.

How much could Maxey actually command? Is it 2 1sts? Is it a pretty good young player and 2 1sts? I know it is higher than Herro’s, but what is his value, really? That, combined with the fact that Miami’s picks will probably be way better tilt me towards the Heat deal.

Phili might be out of the pick altogether. First, they are going to need to find a deal for Harden, who they won’t be getting anything for. Now they have to get rid of Maxey and presumably some picks. Dame and Embiid are not a sure thing, and being stuck as a team with an old Dame and possible-DNP Embiid with no picks would be the worst situation to be in, and there would be minimal picks to even be excited about ‘The Process Vol. 2’.

If I was a 6er fan, I would be sweating bullets.